"Thank You" to all the Men and Boys at This Forum

I want to give a sincere "Thank You!" to Steve Herschbach, Reno Chris, Ivans Garage, Snake Jim, Mike Hillis, RickUK, AZBlackbird, and Sourdough Scott who all responded to my dumb questions.

I tried to match up the requirements, as you told me, of a metal detector for gold nuggets and coins:

* High frequency

* Ground balance

But I could not find a metal detector in my price range of ($300-$350) that met those two requirements I am back to square one and I guess I will not be purchasing a metal detector at this time. At least I now know what to look for and I am no longer completely ignorant. I am disappointed but I will get over it.

I will recommend your forum to anyone. You guys spent your own time to help me. It doesn't get any better than that.

Thank again.

Professor Hester

• Like 4

You are welcome. Your questions were not dumb.

Gold prospecting is difficult and takes more horsepower than normal detecting. That is why quite a few people are now swinging a $10,000 gold prospecting detector! Basic VLF prospecting performance starts at $500. The best I could recommend for under $300 would be a used Fisher Gold Bug Standard (same as Pro less manual ground balance but with ground grab function).

• Like 2

Professor Hestor,

Steve is right, there are NO dumb questions!

Don't give up looking for your detector! 

If you have some interest in searching for gold nuggets with a metal detector, there is one out there in your price range that will show up eventually. 

Often if you don't see an offering of a metal detector you can afford or would consider buying,

the next best thing is to put your own ad in a free listing on most detecting websites and forums, stating what detector(s) you may be looking for.

Many dealers or people have detectors collecting dust in a corner, that they would be more than happy to sell, but dismiss that notion, thinking it is an older model, and no one would want it.  Dealers rarely advertise every detector they have in their shop. 

Sometimes it is best not to put your top dollar in your ad, as that is what the responder may ask for, even though his offered detector may not be in top dollar shape.  My guess is, this advice I offer here, may have already been covered by others on this fine forum...

Gary/Largo

• Like 2

I have always said that if you are not sure about anything be it metal detecting or anything else i ask for help,advice or what ever so you have not asked any stupid questions.

One thing that i cannot work out and probably not my business,but i will ask it anyway but in one of your posts you mentioned about not having much electronic knowledge but you have the following qualifications.

First, I want to thank you all collectively for trying to help a novice. I am a CPA, a Professor of Accounting, CFO but I am not an electrical engineer. What I don’t know about being an engineer would fill a library; however, if I can ever help you with an accounting or finance question, that is what my library is full of.

But my question is that you have decided But I could not find a metal detector in my price range of ($300-$350) that met those two requirements I am back to square one and I guess I will not be purchasing a metal detector at this time.

It does seem odd that someone with so much knowledge in finance and accounting cannot stretch to such a small amount for a starter machine,of course i could well be missing the point,but it did seem a little odd if that makes sense.

I would like to wish you all the very best for the future and hope you find your perfect machine.

• Like 2

LARGO, Man, your advice below is the best I have heard yet. It was so smart, I should have thought of it myself. (LOL) Thanks I'll give it a try.

Advice from LARGO:

Often if you don't see an offering of a metal detector you can afford or would consider buying,

the next best thing is to put your own ad in a free listing on most detecting websites and forums, stating what detector(s) you may be looking for.

Many dealers or people have detectors collecting dust in a corner, that they would be more than happy to sell, but dismiss that notion, thinking it is an older model, and no one would want it. Dealers rarely advertise every detector they have in their shop.

• Like 1

While not not the ideal detector to meet your requirements I believe an xterra70 by Minelab would get you a good start.  Go to Find's Treasure Forum and look...or post a wanted ad...as well as all the main prospecting forums...

fred

Professor,

I had a complete stranger send me his 600 dollar MXT detector--

All because I asked on a forum if someone had a spare VLF machine ...

Anyway, drillerdave sent me this detector out of the goodness of his heart,,, and i sure am friends with him now----he didnt know me from Adam,,,

i eventually went ahead and bought it from him---

he said it was just collecting dust anyway----(but it didnt have dust on it when i got it )-----

i suspect a good heart, motivated to help others was the real story!!!

Hats off to driller dave---many of you know him...

------------------

The MXT is not the greatest gold detector, but if you would like to use it----

i will send it to you,,, i feel like i should follow the example drillerdave showed me....

paul

• Like 9