Help Iding Maybe

Howdy folks,

A friend of mine is putting an addition on his house, built originally circa 1750s.  I spent some time working on the dig pile from the foundation work.  I have found very little other than nails.  One old drawer knob, and this little item.  It is a nice brass item with gold plate...still a little of the gold plate hanging on in spots, so I really don't want to clean it much.  The little egg shaped item does spin freely on the post, as does the little skinny thing, which I will call a leaf.  That has the most remaining plating on it.  So far, searches have brought up nothing similar, but so far the best guess from a friend is a pocket watch fob.  Any other ideas?  

I think the handle part used to swing freely, and it has a small hole in it, smaller diameter than the iron rust colored part it is touching at this point.

I was using the VGG with super six coil...it really does have awesome audio in a mess of nails.

Thanks for looking.

20180825_172527.jpg

20180825_172527rotated.jpg

A watch fob is my thought as well.  The swing arm would have been used to hook a button and the hole would have been where the chain attached.  Good find.

20 hours ago, rod-pa said:

I was using the VGG with super six coil....

OK, you've stumped me.  What is a 'VGG'?

Concerning your mystery item, does the back side look the same as the front?  Phrunt's guess would make sense to me if the backside were basically flat or at least much less decorated.  That still would leave me scratching my head why the central egg rotates.

Regardless, a nice find.

23 minutes ago, GB_Amateur said:

OK, you've stumped me.  What is a 'VGG'?

Concerning your mystery item, does the back side look the same as the front?  Phrunt's guess would make sense to me if the backside were basically flat or at least much less decorated.  That still would leave me scratching my head why the central egg rotates.

Regardless, a nice find.

VGG is a Deeptech Vista Gold Gain.  It is the new 30khz  version of the Vista Gold.  I never had the Gold, but I really love the audio this thing has.  I have dug more iron relics in the past few weeks since owning it, on purpose, because it is so easy to tell a large iron item in the ground vs a nail, etc.

• Thanks 1

On 8/27/2018 at 6:39 PM, Alluminati said:

What does the rusty end on the left look like, it could be a watch winder.

That too.  I think its safe to say it belongs to a watch.

I too was going to say an antique drawer pull, probably for a smaller drawer too. Very nice!

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking 18th century wax seal fob, missing the seal. The unusual things are the greatest finds.