Nice Little Slug

Jin

Yeah going well now. I did have it go into overload once on this last trip which it hasn't done for a while. I soon worked out it was because I was leaning on the machine while the coil was on the ground. This was while digging with the pick in the other hand. At least I've worked out why now. I think I got into a lazy habit of trying to recover targets quicker without putting the machine down. Now I just kick off 2 - 3 inches with my boot. I still think it has something to do with using the machine (4500 with 18" Elite) Normal timings on a high gain RX (15) and other maxed out settings. Sort of makes me feel the coil when pressed up against high mineralization can't handle it. Who knows I'm no expert it's just the feeling I have.

• Like 1

Nice one Jin.

18" Elite my favourite coil atm. found my biggest piece (3 3/4oz) in recent times with it. The QED loves it as does the 5000.

• Like 3

Yes, its been a very good coil for me also. Most of my finds have been with the 18". The first year I only used it once but when I gave it another go and realised it can pick up sub grammars (smallest found was 0.06) it was my go-to coil. The coverage is great and its found me 4 patches so far . Unfortunately, I'm getting rid of the whole setup shortly as I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a Zed. A few friends have them and I know there a heavy but I feel I'm slightly disadvantaged swing 10-year-old technology.  I was very close to buying the QED also but sort of got the impression that it was maybe on par with the 4500 which I already had. 

Well done mate. You should have learned by now that having the most expensive machine is not necessarily the 'be all to end all'. Being in the right place is. Your 4500 and 18" elite is a great combo, and so close in performance to a Z that the difference is negligible, plus you have a weight advantage and the ability to use a large range of coils. Just think of how much gold you will have to find to make up that extra expenditure, and as you have found, it is not getting any easier to find. Some of my best finds could have been got with a VLF.

You have to be in the right place.

• Like 4

Reg, What can I say. You're correct in everything you mentioned in your post.

phrunt, I just recently bought the Equinox 800. Only taken it out once and put it back in the cupboard because lost interest in it. I'm going to give it another run next week targeting some mines to see if it will pick up anything (tiny) that the miners may have dropped when taking stone from a reef. Just interested to see if I can find gold with the Nox.

Nice one....!!!!!!

15 hours ago, Jin said:

Most of my finds have been with the 18". The first year I only used it once but when I gave it another go and realised it can pick up sub grammars (smallest found was 0.06) it was my go-to coil.

11 hours ago, phrunt said:

...Tiny gold is where the 4500 is lacking the most....

Jin's 4500 seems to be doing OK on the small stuff.  Yes, I realize some detectors can find even smaller gold than his 0.06 grammer, as JW (among others) has shown many times.  A couple things to remember (just in case you don't already know):

a) 0.06 g is aproximately equivalent to 1 grain.  (Closer is 0.065 g = 1 grain.)

b) 0.06 g of pure gold right now is worth about $2.33 (based upon $1204/toz spot).