Equinox Good For Trashy Parks, Pt. 2?

unearth

I put a post about the Nox and trashy parks about three or four weeks ago asking if the Nox was a good choice because of all the trash noise. It seems to me by the replies to the post that the Nox WAS a good trashy park machine because of it's ability to separate signals and it's fast recovery speed. To reduce the "machine gun" noise, it was advised to reject -9 to 22. But by doing so, you will be missing a big part of the gold range. I tested 15 gold rings that I found in parks with my CTX program against the Nox program suggested in the replies to my original post. The results were disappointing in that the Nox couldn't sound off on any of the rings except one. A large 18K yellow gold, 10.8 gram ring that rang in at 23 (penny signal). The rest of the rings were comprised of what someone might call women's size rings. Size five to seven mostly, 10 or 14K white or yellow gold. Some with diamonds and some without. So, by this un-scientific test, does this tell me that the Nox is basically a coin machine, in a trashy park setting, unless you want to hear a bunch of noise and try to pick out the non-coin good targets? 

I really like the machine at the beach. It's the first one I grab when I go to the beach. But, for the So. Cal. parks and all the trash that the people leave behind, I'm still having trouble with the cacophony of noise. So much so that I know I'm missing some targets.

Any advice and I'm ALL EARS! Thanks in advance for all the help with this matter.

Welcome to metal detecting. Coin detecting is not jewelry detecting. Jewelry occurs over most of the discrimination scale and with ANY detector to dig jewelry you have to dig junk. For every gold item there is an aluminum item, lots of aluminum items, that read the same.

This had nothing to do with the Equinox per se. it is just the nature of how various items read, and the trades we make in finding desirable targets. As long as you discriminate out anything you will possibly miss good items. Again, there are no target id numbers that are just good stuff or just bad stuff. The ranges overlap entirely. There is less junk on the high end, where many U.S. coins reside, but gold falls smack in the middle of where all the trash resides.

Pretty much everything you need to know is on the thread below....

• Like 2

I also hunt So. Cal. parks and beaches - as I am sure you know, you have to just be willing to be super patient, listen to the tones - the language of the Equinox - and take your time. If I don't feel as though my patience and focus is there, I don't go. The other thing I have been amazed at is it's good to go over areas from different directions, maybe one direction one time and another direction another time - targets continue to show up. I usually use Park 1 or Field 2.

In any case good luck.  

Thanks for the replies. It is starting to seep into my brain that looking for gold in So. Cal. parks, most parks anyway, is not a worthwhile endeavor with the Nox usually. Especially if you have to reject so many numbers to keep the machine from sounding like a machine gun. Coin hunting will be it's prevailing task in those types of parks. The beach on the other hand is a different animal altogether.

Guest Tnsharpshooter

For limited digging, I would be using park 2 multi. I would be digging 07-14 ID signals.  Especially the nice clear ones that sound real good.

You could dig the 19 plus range too, but will add to your digging.  Speed 6 using 800 unit, spped 3 using 600 unit.

Doing the above you should dodge most small foil, pull rings and pull rings with tabs.  Be prepared for beaver tails though.

Its a tricky game at first, like riding a bike.  You fall off a few times and get very angry. You throw the bike down protesting you'll never ride the damn thing again. But next day after a dust off your back out there, and after a relatively short period of time, your off and riding like a champ ....   and loving it.

So.... If the Nox "machine guns" the ground, you know the detector is doing the business, not the other way round. 

The trouble sometimes arises when you have an area in mind to detect, you envisage finding all sorts of lovely treasures, only to find when you get there, that its full of junk.  Where there's people there's lost items, and those items include all the s*it. 

Discrimination on the nox is AWESOME I can knock out 1 pennies, 2 penny's, ring-pulls, foil, slaw, beaver tails, coal etc etc ....... and 99% of all the trash to target just silver. To me, thats just magic!   However like the distinguished members above have said, Gold lies in that region where the naughty stuff hides.   I'd get a good quality shovel and be prepared to dig in the regions suggested for gold.  But when you find that gold, it'll all make perfect sense and you'll never forget it. Memories for life they are.

best of luck out there ? 

You have the ability to notch ID ranges in and out.  You could make disc patterns similar to what you are running on the CTX and not have to disc out the entire range.  It would look different on the screen but if you test your rings again with all IDs accepted, you could get an idea where MOST of them fall within (you will never get them ALL if you are using discrimination) and leave those areas open on the disc range and then disc out the rest up to coins and then open that range up too.  Discing out -9 to +22 is a bad idea unless you are solely chasing recent dropped stuff IMO.  

• Like 1