Steve- - a late starter to detecting but sure making up for lost time! 

Out of curiosity, In the last image, what's that in your pocket? I'll refrain from quoting Mae West - -  ?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, kiwijw said:

I will be brave & say it is a plastic scoop like the one below.

20180902_132604

Cheers

Good luck out there

JW :smile:

JW,

It is amazing all of the videos I watch from Oz and none of them has a scoop.  (I want to shout 'Get a scoop!')

I recon that the gold they expect to find is too big for it.  I wonder if Paul has gotten them in the habit of using one now or if he has been forced to use his hands.

Mitchel

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jrbeatty said:

Steve- - a late starter to detecting but sure making up for lost time! 

Out of curiosity, In the last image, what's that in your pocket? I'll refrain from quoting Mae West - -  ?

I didn't notice the object in the pocket, but it looked to me like Steve may have been sporting a "mullet" in those days. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Wow, Steve...very nice gold!!!

Mitchel;

with respect to all my Oz friends...they are generally very thrifty and prefer doing things the Hard Way...I don't think I ever seen anyone using any kind of scoop when I was there... except me. 

Not all the gold is big but a scoop is convenient even on bigger stuff...and you can easily pull loose dirt out with my coil-cover scoop....

fred

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

1980 on old U.S. Army "mechanized mule" with 4" subsurface dredge hauling into Franklin Creek in the Fortymile -

Steve: Handy looking vehicle, but never saw those over here. We farmers used Willys Jeeps as runabouts, also Sherman and Stuart tanks converted to bulldozers for clearing bush - you could buy them cheaply at military auctions.

- - - of course - - a scoop! :biggrin:

• Like 5

10 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Hi JR,

Your comment made me learn more about this - here is the Wikipedia entry for the M274 "mechanical mule". Interesting rig.

Indeed it is - and high clearance portal axles are always superb for off road work.

Reading all this makes me nostalgic for my old vibrating sluice box. In the 90's they, along with dredges, were banned in Australian waterways.

• Sad 1