I happened upon this site 3 years ago researching detectors.  Six month later I figured I had enough knowledge to start contributing.  I've never belonged to another detector/treasure site because I haven't found the need.  Everything I could possibly want is right here (and that includes links to other sites when those have important information).

Just the vast quantity of accurate info on detectors here makes it worthwhile reading.  On top of that we get posts by many individuals around the world on finds, techniques, etc.

This series (and similar recollections/chronicles of your adventures) are the icing on the cake.  I'm one of the many who for as long as I can remember (since pre-adulthood for sure) has fantasized about Alaska.  For people living in the lower 48, especially those of us who live in urban areas away from mountains, the romantic life of times we've missed growing up at the wrong time/place has a nostalgic, even melancholy feel.  You bring all that back to our imaginations (in a good way).  Thank you.

I'll finish with a quote (more of a paraphrase) from a tourism TV ad from years ago:  Once you've visited Alaska you never come all the way home.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the trip, Steve...I love the photos and the appreciation of the animals and the history. Enjoying all facets of the journey is the way I go when in Australia; And the one and only trip to Moore Creek...

very nice gold too

fred

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I can only echo what others have said above - an inspirational well written story set amongst stunning vistas. 

Latter day prospecting at the highest level in every sense of the term - thanks for sharing your gold journey Steve.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jrbeatty said:

I can only echo what others have said above - an inspirational well written story set amongst stunning vistas. 

Latter day prospecting at the highest level in every sense of the term - thanks for sharing your gold journey Steve.  

Thank you everyone. I guess I am in same boat as you JR - just trying to share and document little bits of history. I appreciate the old archive stuff you have been posting also. Lots of great photos and old video out there that are wasted if never shared.

Yeah JW, lots of similarity between some parts of Alaska and New Zealand. Thanks for all the stories and great photos you also share with everyone. :smile:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

Thanks for the great story Steve... you had me for a second there with that big copper nugget. Man that would have been a killer gold nugget. 

strick

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you, Steve! What a great story.  So glad you were willing to share it.

Bugler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...

Great seeing the final chapter and all the photos from Gold Hill. I read of the early adventures many years ago at AMDS. I first visited that country in Sept of 71 hunting the hills across Jack Creek from the Nabesna road with my dad and uncle. The Nabesna river sand bars closest to the road used to be a landing strip from the building of the AK HWY era and littered with hundreds of 55 gal drums. Beautiful country.

• Like 2