Steve there's a book lurking inside you wanting to be written.. I hope you will do this.....On an adventure today staying tonight at the Bamboo Garden villa in Chantaburi. Bs mom and Dad and two GFs she grew up with will be there also...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Steve, I found this forum from another forum site that mentioned your story. I really enjoyed reading it and look forward to reading your other journeys. Thank you for all the time you put into sharing them.

Do you write in a journal every night on these trips or do you have one for every day in general? I can't remember my last metal detecting trip and what I found, I guess those three riggers from the Civil war are not as memorable as a gold nugget.. I still love finding them, a journal of your hunts maybe a great idea.

Thanks again,

Josh

Steve’s Mining & Metal Detecting Journal 

Hi Josh and welcome to the forum.

I don’t keep a diary in general, just notes when I am on trips. I have a pile of little notebooks... whatever was handy at the time. Sometimes it’s just notes on a piece of paper. It does not take much.

When I got started at all this as a teenager I got in the habit of keeping a tiny notebook and making simple daily notes. Just reminders of key events of the day, note about weather, whatever. In some cases I would get more detailed in geology observations about where I was finding gold. I also have been a photography bug since early on, and simply taking lots of photos can be a trip journal. I normally did both and sure regret the times I did not. There are entire trips I know I made to Chisana but basically I don’t remember them at all since I took no notes or photos. That was revealed to me when I wrote up this thread.

There was never a huge plan behind it all but in retrospect it is one of the best things I ever did. Forty years later what do we really have anyway? It’s either memories or nothing. Those notes and photos are far more valuable to me now than any gold I ever found. Sharing them on the internet is a way of insuring they get out there for posterity. Long after I am gone the stories will be archived on a server somewhere.

These days it’s even easier. A cell phone can both take the photos and the daily notes, and that’s just what I did on my U.K. trip last fall

I really encourage everyone to record any special events via a journal and photos. You will thank yourself years later and regret it if you don’t.

• Like 5

• 2 months later...