Great Story...I think you still need to write that book.. Digital stuff seems to get lost over time. The book will always be there. :smile:

strick 

• Thanks 1

Steve,

Thanks for your story.  It is well told.  I have just a few years on you having been born in 53 but the wildness was definitely still in your areas up there.  We still had a little bit of wild in North Florida at that time.

My dad spent time as a pilot in Alaska in the 50s.  Most of it was in or associated with the Navy but all of it was cargo flying.  I never did determine much of his Alaska adventures or make it there until 1986 on the Kenai for salmon.  He and my mom met out in the Pacific after the battle of Midway in the 40s.

I'll be waiting for the installments as they come in.  Do you write them offline and then copy and paste them to your forum?

Mitchel

• Like 1

On 9/4/2018 at 9:08 PM, phrunt said:

What Frequency was the Gold Scanner Pro? A quick Google came up with nothing much.

Sorry Simon, got sidetracked. The Compass Gold Scanner units were ahead of their time as general purpose detectors running at 13.77 kHz. They were as deep as any VLF I have used since, but were very touchy at high gain levels (sound familiar?) and had to be worked at a snail's pace.

compass-gold-scanner-metal-detectors-1991-1.jpgcompass-gold-scanner-metal-detectors-1991-2.jpg

• Like 4

This story is facinating.  I also enjoyed the previous posts from Steve' Journal about the area as well.  Can't wait to see what was produced this summer.  

I have read a lot about that area and others in the eastern Alaska Range with a lot of placer gold.  Except for Nabesna which had limited placer production there are not a lot of productive lodes.  Some day I would like to focus on some of those areas.

Those claims are tempting but I right now I don't have the time (or the money).