Great adventure and chronicling of it Steve. The pictures are an added bonus and really bring the narrative alive.

• Like 3

A beautiful chronicle, thanks again.

Yes....that is a great couple of photos. I notice in the black & white photo of back in the day that where that white building is/was, how much material has built up on that slope in the later more present day photo. There must have been some sluicing work done further up that gully.

Thanks to Steve for taking the time in sharing your great photos & your memories of another chapter in time of that historic mining area. I enjoyed every second of it, as you would have living it. ? Even though for us here in NZ/Australia it is almost on the other side of the planet from us, like JR Betty said, "Oddly familiar". Many thanks.

Good luck out there

JW :smile:  

You are right Steve, the effort those old timers went to is nothing short of unbelievable. In Alaska's Interior where I lived I found a lot of evidence of mining in the old days. Not much for flumes like you pictured, but lots of old shafts, some as deep and 100 feet. Old wooden sluice boxes are common. And old boilers for thawing perma-frost and frozen winter ground.

I found a lot of this kind of evidence because I was a trapper in winter and had access to ground that was inaccessible in summer. Some of those old boilers were huge. And just thinking about how they got them into those remote locations made me weak and tired.

Of course some of that heavy stuff was hauled in by sled and mules/horses in winter along the frozen rivers.

Many times old mining areas could be discovered by extensive old tree cutting, with only the stumps remaining. They had to cut a lot of trees for boilers and heating cabins in winter, not to mention building of cabins and sluice boxes. 

At the turn of the century miners started using huge riveted pipe to bring water from distant locations. This was in place of wooden flumes and a lot of it was done by bigger mining companies. Some of the large companies around Fairbanks brought water from miles away like this for running the bucket line dredges. Some of that riveted pipe was so large a man could stand up in it stooped over a bit.

That reminds me, I think I have a picture of that pipe somewhere. Will post it if I can find it.

• Like 4

That Alaskan flume building is crazy. I thought the ditches they built in the Sierra's for doing the same thing were pretty incredible...I take it back.

Flak, our California boys were no joke either!  I dont know what these guys were eating  to work that hard.

FID4.jpg

• Like 2

We Aussies weren't shirkers either, Wes. :biggrin:

The giant water flume Lightning creek, Omeo, VIC

gold2.jpg?w=869

• Like 7

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Dan(NM)
      Finished up my road trip today on a good note. Started the trip up in the Texas panhandle where I did quite well at an old park. Dug lots of silver, wheats, couple of rings and a couple of tokens. I've been doing a little relic hunting in southern New Mexico the last couple of days at a 1850s fort site. Manage to put the coil over three good buttons, some percussion caps, fired mini balls and some buck n ball lead. My detectors of choice were the Minelab CTX 3030 and the Minelab Equinox 800. I used the CTX primarily for coin shooting and the Equinox for relic hunting. Second picture is from hunting in Texas.  I'll be headed back first thing in the morning to Central Texas to unwind and get ready for another work week, thanks for looking.

• By afreakofnature
      So the other day my neighbor told me she lost part of her rosary when she was walking her dog.  It was a multitude of events where her phone rang, kids ran out and the dog kind of pulled off enough that when she took her hand out of her pocket fast, it broke and flew across the grass near the sidewalk.  She was able to find most of it but could not find the a piece that had a little cross on it with part of the chain and beads.  This rosary really meant a lot to her.  My neighbors know that I metal detect for gold but they did not ask me at first and tried themselves to find it, even going to point of borrowing a metal detector from their relatives.   When they came back empty handed and I saw them in the driveway they told me the story.  I said you should have just asked me, I would love to help!  Plus for me I thought that this would be like leveling up in metal detecting skill set.  I only hunt for jewelry when I go to FL to visit my folks, so I only get in maybe a few weeks of that.  Plus I rarely detect in the parks, I just don't like all the people.  So I wanted to know if I could really do this.  So I asked her to show me some of the other parts of her rosary so I could get hear what the signal sounded like, what kind of ID number would show up, and how much sensitivity to use since it should be a surface find (it was only lost for a couple of days).  Well I knew this was going to be a challenge cause the little cross came up around 15 and the chain was ferrous, I think it was a -4 all on the Equinox.  I was not sure if the cross and the chain were still connected.  Well when I got to the area she lost it, there was so much trash and EMI plus I could not discriminate because I was not sure if they were still connected or not, but i persevered.  Knowing that I would not have to dig, helped eliminate a lot of targets too.  Anyways it only took me about 20 mins and I found it!  The cross was still connected to the chain, and when the signal came up it was a double blip of those exact numbers!  I looked down and there it was.  She was so excited and thankful and I was just as excited for her and knowing that I could do it!  It was an absolute great feeling to help her out, I felt on top of the world at that moment.  I would even say I felt a bigger high finding that for her vs when I find a nugget!  Anyways here the pic.

• By alaskaseeker
      There is photos of two stampeder sites, very hard to spot now but the little outhouse pits are important to finding them. They cut trees to make their huts and thats one of the things i look for 100 yr old stumps....Everything has reverted back to pretty much of a natural state

• By alaskaseeker
      Last sunday took a great ATV trip to a lake about 26 miles from our town, the 98 stampeders took this route from Valdez to the Klondike. There are many campsites along this trail so before the leaves come out and hide the sites i tagged along with this group to check on some new locations. Rough trail, nice lunch and had a fun time...Should have had an IPhone many years ago.  

• By Bash
      Well, I made it out to the tailings piles yesterday for a couple of hours.  I didn't find any gold, but I am convinced there is some out there.  There is a LOT of trash, and it was extremely challenging for a beginning detectorist.  I found a ball peen hammer head, and some iron hanger/bracket thingy.  I also found my first bona fide "hot rock".  I really thought I had a nugget, as the Nox was singing with a solid 1 on the VDI.  However, the little pointy rock below was the culprit.  I also found the larger rock just laying on the surface. It doesn't register any kind of signal, but it is really, REALLY heavy, and looks like it has, to my untrained eye, a lot of iron in it. Any ideas?
      I'm starting to understand the coin and relic aspect of detecting, but I am completely clueless on the gold front.  Should I dig all the signals that don't obviously show as ferrous when in all metal mode? 
      Think I'm gonna need to take some lessons!  Gerry,  I think I'll be calling you when I finally get back to Idaho.

• By Bash
      So...
      I'm out at the park this morning, detecting around one of the older trees.  Using the Vanquish 440, 'cause I'm being casual, and I like the "turn on and go" aspect of it, when I get a strong, but bouncy signal in the 28 - 34 range. So I pinpoint and start digging, and very close to the surface, I find a big rectangular piece of foil inside of an athletic sock.  First I think, Oooooo! Someone stashed some cash! I start peeling the foil and discover it is a cell phone.  I think to myself, well this isn't something someone lost, this was purposefully put here. Then I think, why would someone do this?! To hide SOMETHING!  I think the foil was an attempt to block any cell signal. So I stopped peeling the foil, and put it in a plastic baggie.  I'll take it to the police tomorrow.
      I wish it had been cash...