On 10/3/2018 at 7:52 PM, Hard Prospector said:

Hey Steve,

Was the horse drawn scrapper used much like the much larger mechanical  drag line bucket?  Sure am enjoying the story and pics.....Thanks!

Rob

Hi Rob,

bucket line dredge is a much larger mechanical mining method. These scrapers are just the opposite of a bulldozer blade. The dozer blade is pushed ahead. These scrapers drag behind instead to collect and move material. They can be pulled by a horse, hoist, or mechanical crawler. The one I have pictured is described in the passage below as a "bottomless scraper".

sauerman-bros-crescent-power-scraper.jpg
Sauerman Brothers Crescent Power Scraper

Sauerman Brothers, Inc. 1918 - 1937

From Placer mining in the western United States - Part III Dredging and other forms of mechanical handling of gravel, and drift mining by Gardner, E.D., and Johnson, C.H., 1935 U.S. Bureau of Mines page 19:

Scrapers & Hoists

Scrapers and hoists have been used for excavating and pulling placer gravels to washing plants. A scraper set-up with ground lines only consists of a hoist, usually with two drums, a scraper, and a cable. The scraper is pulled forward by the hoist over the gravel and picks up a load which is then pulled to the washing plant. The cable for pulling back the scraper goes through a sheave on the far side of the pit . To allow latitude of operation the sheave usually is attached to another cable stretched at right angles to the line of pull. The sheave sometimes can be shifted at right angles to the pull by means of a third drum on the hoist. The scraper is pulled on the ground both ways.

The set-up with an overhead cable is more elaborate; additional equipment consists principally of the overhead cable and a mast. After being filled the scraper is run to the plant and back on the cableway. The scraper or bucket is elevated by tightening the headline. Both bottomless and closed-bottom scrapers are used with ground lines and only closed buckets, usually of the Page type, are used with cableways.

Boulders in the gravel and points of bedrock projecting up into the gravel cause the scrapers to jump. A bottomless scraper will loose its load on hitting a boulder, and a scraper of the closed type is difficult to fill in bouldery gravel. In easily dug gravel the bottomless scraper usually delivers a full load and can push considerable loose material ahead of it. The load is dropped by simply pulling the scraper backward, an advantage that scrapers with bottoms do not have. A closed-type bucket operating on a headline overcomes some of the difficulties of excavating with a drag; furthermore, it can be run at a greater speed once it is filled and the headline tightened. For long hauls the headline or cableway excavator has a further advantage in lower power and labor costs; moreover, the excavated ground can be elevated to the plant at any desired height with less trouble. However, this type lacks the mobility of the straight drag scraper, is more difficult to install , and because of the additional and heavier equipment has a higher first cost.

A scraper is not suitable for digging placer gravels underwater. It follows the line of least resistance and leaves islands of bedrock untouched even where other conditions are favorable. The water is roiled by the digging, and the scraper works out of sight. Moreover, the stirring permits the gold to settle in the gravel being moved, and considerable gold may be left behind unless the pit can be pumped out for cleaning up.

For many years scrapers have been used successfully at sand and gravel pits . They have been tried at a number of placer mines in the Western States but generally have failed, usually because boulders were encountered in the gravel. In Alaska, however, scrapers have proved successful under favorable conditions and have been preferred to other types of excavators.

sauerman-drag-crescent-power-scraper-ad.jpg
Advertisement for the Sauerman Brothers Scraper

• Like 4

Thanks! for the great adventure and photos so far, can't wait for the next installment.

I was wondering do you have any yearning to try and do this again and/or past this wealth of knowledge and adventure on to grandkids, nieces or nephews if you have any?

16 hours ago, Glenn in CO said:

Thanks! for the great adventure and photos so far, can't wait for the next installment.

I was wondering do you have any yearning to try and do this again and/or past this wealth of knowledge and adventure on to grandkids, nieces or nephews if you have any?

Hi Glenn,

I am not sure what you mean “do this again” since this is what I do. As far as the passing it along to others - that is why I created this website. Hopefully some people get questions answered and are inspired to make their own adventures! :smile:

• Like 4

On 10/4/2018 at 3:32 PM, kiwijw said:

Hi Steve. Stunning location & scenery. That last mountain photo....is that all just natural erosion or is some of it from sluicing? It really shows the layers of deposits, has to be glacial,? & hard rock geology. What is the predominant basement hard rock?

Hi John,

That mountain is many thousands of feet tall and completely natural. Glacial country of course. The area has very complex geology with massive mixing of rock types both hard and soft, creating the fantastic forms of mountains like this. The most common rock types are slates, shale, and greywacke, various volcanics with red, green, and purple basalt flows being common. And then various intrusive zones with granitic rocks scattered around (like on Skookum). I don’t recall ever seeing any schist in the immediate area. See the geologic report on the area for more details on the geology and history of the region.

Before this series is over you will see a lot more mountain scenery. And thanks for the thanks with many back at you! 

Here is a look at the camp at Little Eldorado - a little spot of civilization in the middle of the wilderness!

little-eldorado-camp-at-chisana.jpg
Civilization Alaska style!

This was never a place with huge herds of caribou but there are many in the area. Here is a little herd that wandered by camp one day.

fabulous-caribou-photo.jpg
Herd of caribou on the ridge

herd-of-caribou.jpg
Closer look at the caribou - cows and calves

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

You may have noticed I have not mentioned much about metal detecting the last few entries. This is because the amount of ground suitable for detecting on these claims is fairly limited, and after years of detecting these areas were thinning out. Also, I got caught up in the claims validity exam process and so was spending more time on sampling and trail work than metal detecting. There is also the fact that I wanted to do some gold dredging myself, and now finally both the permits and the equipment were in place to give it a go. In 2012 I flew in to the mine with some friends. The main goal was some gold dredging far down Bonanza Creek canyon, below where all the photos you have seen so far. Bonanza Creek enters a deep canyon on the lower end where there are lots of dredging possibilities.

This turned out to be the coldest summer I ever experienced up on Gold Hill. Normally the weather in July is typical of interior Alaska - lots of sunny days and temps as high as the 70s. This trip was different. The first thing we got after arrival was snow all the way down to camp level. And while it was clear skies most of this trip, the weather was very cool.

snow-at-camp-2012.jpg
Snow at camp July 2012

snow-on-mountain-2012.jpg
And snow on the mountains above camp

Upper Bonanza Creek runs in a fairly open valley that is easy to travel on foot. The lower portions of the creek cut a deep canyon dropping to the lower elevations below. This canyon can be traveled on foot but the going is rougher with lots of large rocks and boulders plus a few narrow sections to work through.

Here is a view from a vantage point looking up Bonanza Creek valley, Little Eldorado Creek in far upper left.

upper-bonanza-creek-valley.jpg
Upper Bonanza Creek looking up the valley

Now turn and look downstream into the lower canyon area....

looking-down-bonanza-valley.jpg
Looking down Bonanza Creek valley from above

The canyon gets progressively deeper until it gets into the last portion near the old ghost town of Bonanza, as far down as you can see in the photo below. The two claims for sale are down in that area, and the main reason they are for sale are they are just too far from the center of operations above. The only way to get from the camp areas above to the lower two claims is a long foot trail (the "Goat Trail") visible in the far left of the photo below. It is actually easier to access those claims from the town of Chisana in the main valley below.

lower-bonanza-creek-canyon.jpg
Lower steep canyon portion of Bonanza Creek

Most of the canyon is typical winding turns and little sections of rapids. Here is a look down into one of the few relatively straight stretches of creek before getting into the deepest portions of the canyon below.

look-into-bonanza-creek-canyon.jpg
The deep narrow canyon on lower Bonanza Creek

I hiked down the valley to where I was thinking of working. It is a decent hike over a lot of rock and a few water crossings. The water was not cold by Alaska standards but I still had a brand new drysuit and thermals with me.

bonanza-creek-canyon-bottom.jpg
A look at the terrain to be traversed going down canyon

bonanza-creek-canyon-bottom-view.jpg
And another view of typical canyon terrain

To be continued....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

My location was ok but not great. Three days dredging got me just over an ounce of gold. Not bad, but not enough to stay put, especially since it seemed to be be getting worse, not better. I went ahead and decided to move the dredge below "The Notch" to seek better pay.

Here is a view from below the notch and if you look you can see dredge floats sitting in the narrow portion waiting to be floated across the small pool.

moving-dredge-through-notch.jpg
Bringing dredge floats through "The Notch"

4-inch-suction-dredge-below-notch.jpg
Dredge working along rock bank

4-inch-suction-dredge-working-below-notch.jpg
The dredge location working into rock pile on inside corner

4-inch-suction-dredge-work-hole-below-notch.jpg
A closer look at the excavation

I had dreamed of hitting this spot for many years, and had visions of a serious paystreak on this inside bend. There is definitely a enriched layer of reconcentrated tailing material that starts right at the surface. However, as I punched deeper the area showed signs over having been mined in the old days (boards buried in material) and so the deeper material was not as good as that surface enriched layer. The other problem is the bottom was deeper than I anticipated, and with the hole six feet deep that rock wall was still going straight down.

We had visitors in the form of the permitting people so I had to take a break for a couple days to show the visitors our operations. I took advantage of some of this down time to do a little metal detecting. I had a then new Garrett AT Gold along to play with, and spent a little time with it. The AT Gold is a decent little 18 khz VLF detector and I had no problem finding a few nuggets with it.

garrett-at-gold-with-pick.jpg
Technology old and new - Garrett AT Gold

gold-nuggets-found-at-garrett.jpg
1.4 grams nuggets found with Garrett AT Gold

To be continued....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1