Why Meteorites?

Sorry for a maybe dumb question, but just what is the draw of meteorites?  I understand that it is unique and interesting but is there any other reasoning?  I am not saying monetary returns but more like registeries or some acknowledgment of finds etc?  Again I apologize for this if dumb.  I mainly got interested in detectors for gold as I am getting a little fragile with age and no longer play like mountain goats.  I am brand new to detecting but just from reading this forum I have decided coin, beach, jewelry hunting may fit me also.  I understand relics and "old" items from history.  But rocks from space?  Now if they were large enough to mine that another story, but I would want to find it here on earth unless it fell ages ago.  A dinosaur didn't like theirs. LOL  Thanks, Dan

Sorry again, I forgot to ask if anyone could point out a couple of threads that would help educate me on this subject.  Thank you for your patience.  As a gold panner, I have so far been pretty much skunked, so I have a lot to learn about all these topics.  Have a great day.  Daniel

Daniel;

Holding a piece of the beginning of the Solar System is amazing...that is the attraction for me.

Bill Southern has a very active Meteorite Forum...

If you read the other posts on this forum you will get a good start.

Rocks From Space by O. Richard Norton is an excellent primer.

fred

• Like 2

For most detectorists it is simply the thrill of the hunt, and finding something that is challenging to find. And personally I don't see how anyone would not be excited to find a rock that fell out of the sky!

Yes, finds, if recorded properly, can be registered and added to the worldwide database of knowledge regarding meteorites. And finally, some finds can be worth a lot of money. Meteorites normally sell by the gram. Large finds can be worth a small fortune....

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2018/02/16/arizona-meteorite-fetches-record-breaking-237500-at-auction.html

• Like 1

Thank you for the responses.  Steve, I wasn't looking for monetary returns as a reason, I think the chance of me finding a money meteorite is probably as good as me finding a nugget weighing 10 pounds.  Less than zero.  But my Nox 800 came today so who knows.  LOL.  Thanks again.  Dan

• 1 month later...
On 8/31/2018 at 8:43 PM, Daniel said:

Sorry for a maybe dumb question, but just what is the draw of meteorites?  I understand that it is unique and interesting but is there any other reasoning?  I am not saying monetary returns but more like registeries or some acknowledgment of finds etc?  Again I apologize for this if dumb.  I mainly got interested in detectors for gold as I am getting a little fragile with age and no longer play like mountain goats.  I am brand new to detecting but just from reading this forum I have decided coin, beach, jewelry hunting may fit me also.  I understand relics and "old" items from history.  But rocks from space?  Now if they were large enough to mine that another story, but I would want to find it here on earth unless it fell ages ago.  A dinosaur didn't like theirs. LOL  Thanks, Dan

Find a friend who does astronomy, relax and try to comprehend the time taken and the distance traveled for a photon to land in your eye. Many of these things you see are not even there anymore. It is good to view yourself and the human race from the macro level, it helps to re-center your perspective on things. IMO.

Semantically speaking, gold also fell from space. It's popularity is due to it's pedestrian use as a monetary fashion, but it's otherwise monotonous. Meteorites are much more exciting in comparison.

• Like 1

On 9/2/2018 at 12:23 AM, Daniel said:

Thank you for the responses.  Steve, I wasn't looking for monetary returns as a reason, I think the chance of me finding a money meteorite is probably as good as me finding a nugget weighing 10 pounds.  Less than zero.  But my Nox 800 came today so who knows.  LOL.  Thanks again.  Dan

Actually your chances of finding a meteorite worth money are far greater than your chances of finding a ten pound gold nugget.

I realize you were not considering the financial aspect. That is why I lead with other reasons. But if you are going to ask what the draw is, why eliminate one of the main draws?

• Like 1