Question About My Ace 400

MidTN

Went out yesterday and the unit was hitting between 85 - 90 in relics mode.  After digging I found part of a wire fence and beer cans. I'm I missing something the  machine is telling me?

Unfortunately that is normal with many detectors. Metal detectors work best on coin size type targets. Certain large steel items can read like coins. Washers, hardened steel bolts, flat sheet steel, and yes, fence wire can all tend to give high coin readings.

The reality is these type targets are usually giving off both low and high signals. However, many detectorists block / reject / notch out the low end iron signals. This lets only the high tone portion of the signal sound off. The key often is to make sure you engage the iron portion of the signal so you hear both the high and low tones.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have the Ace 400 as well and know your pain. Not wanting to repeat what the others have said, but keep digging those signals and something good will turn up.

That being said, I don't think I've ever pulled anything of any real value out of the ground that came up over 90. I would get excited as h#ll and end up pulling out a big piece of iron, like a plow blade or a giant steel bolt.

In my seven or so months when I used the Ace 400, everything of value (silver coins, jewlery, ect) came up in the 80 range. This is just my experince though ?

-Bill

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yes,, Garrett ace 400i is a good detector, compared to 350-plus numeric ID,... and Iron Audio...-better separation, and identification of iron, and my observations are sufficiently sensitive and deep ...