Worlds Smallest Electric Sluice Box!

Well, as far as I can tell, it's the smallest FUNCTIONAL sluice box.  This isn't a cute scale model to look like a neat paperweight.  This thing actually WORKS!  Let me know what you think!  This has taken me well over 4 months to develop past where you saw it last time.  I still have a few minor tweaks I want to do to it, but all in good time.

As long as you can spoon feed it small enough material, this will work for you.  I guess this would be more suitable for processing concentrates, but it should still be a hefty worker!

Features:

* Self-contained power (4x AA rechargeable batteries @ 1350mAh each)

* 3x 120 LPH micro pumps @ 6volts each

* Self-recycling water system

* Can be used as a single or double tier system

* Sluice trays are set at 8 degrees

* Removable riffled drop-ins (currently printed in green) (upgradeable/swappable)

* Debris catch bin for removing excess material from the basin

* Scotchbrite scouring pad used as a particulate filter to prevent pump clogging

* Fully disassembles and packs into itself for painless transportation

* Watertight, isolated battery compartment won't get wet from splashes or overflow

* Drain holes to prevent water buildup around solder connections to pumps, and in storage area

* Spare storage area can be used for rubber mats, vials, filters, etc

* Riffled trays (3D printed) designed for use in this system with its specific flow rate/angle

* Quickly comes apart for cleaning of the trays or storage

* Currently takes 687.52 grams of PLA filament @ 1.75mm  (52 hours to print on my settings)

Things I want to improve in my next version:

* Isolate the pumps better so they don't suck up material or silt

* Raise the edges to allow it to process larger piles of material without spilling over the sides of the trays

* Make a better trap to catch the waste material, rather than let it build up in the main basin

* Design riffle drop-ins that are more easily removable

* Possibly design different types of riffle drop-ins

This one was just before this 2-tier version, when it was at a single level.

Check out this point in the video, where a pretty good size nugget shows up!

• Like 4

Right on man. I'm just heading out the door detecting but I'm going to watch these videos again in more detail when I get back, I like how you even got the filter in there.

I also have some metal detector and mining accessories that I design and print in my spare time, it will eventually become a side business once the cooler weather gets here.

• Like 1

Working on an adapter that will make use of the existing trays, and allow the system to sit on top of a 5 gallon bucket.  MUCH more material can be passed through, and cleanup is much easier.  The adapter will still fit in with all the other stuff in the main box from the self contained version.  Yeah, I'm cramming even MORE into this thing!

• Like 2

This is the next version.  More or less.  Have yet to test print it, but it SHOULD work as is.  Feet at either end sit on the lip of a 5 gallon bucket.  I reused both the short tray prop on the left, and the tall one with the hole in it on the right.  Uses the same trays from the self-contained box in the OP, as well as the same printed riffle mats.  Also, uses the same pumps, hoses, and battery box.

Round peg in the center is to wrap excess wire around to prevent it from getting wet, or going in the water.  Hole in the bottom tray is where the pumps drop in, and hang in the water.  Battery box goes on the left with the switch facing up so you can reach it.  Battery tray is sealed to prevent water splashing from underneath, and same with the cable wrap peg.  MIGHT have to make drain holes for those.  Will find out in testing.

Everything comes apart, and fits into the same small box that the self-contained sluice box does.  Measured there to be enough room.

Untitled.jpg

• Like 2

Very interesting stuff.  Good on you.  It is not only useful, but looks great fun too! 

Brings back the kid in me ? 

EDIT:  What 3d printer do you use if you dont mind me asking, thanks.

Just finished creating another addon.  This one unfortuantely won't fit in the smaller box, but that's ok, because it's designed to be used with the 5 gallon bucket system above.

This takes the larger stuff that comes off the end of the last tray and classify it.  The middle holes are all 2mm wide, so your black sand and fine gold drop down into the bucket through those holes.  Anything larger passes by, to either side toward the exit.  The outer holes are 2.5mm, and any slightly larger gold should get caught by those.  After that, anything larger should head out the exits on either side, and end up OUTSIDE the bucket.  This way, only the "cons" stay in the bucket, allowing you to process much more material, with far less cleaning, and more time being productive.

Also, the riffle trays can be dunked in the bucket as well, and emptied out, if you want to keep it clean, as all that material should end up in the bucket anyway.

If I need to change the size of the holes, let me know.  I'm literally just doing this by eye with my calipers, and deciding using educated guesses and the gold I've found so far, to determine what I think would work.  I'm sure it could use improvement, so chime in!

Untitled.jpg

OK, so I had to redesign it.  The surface tension of water was too much to allow hardly any water to drop down through the holes, it just ran right over them and out the end.  This new design increases the width of the slots to 3mm, puts them in line with the water, and makes baffles to force water and material to the slots.  Under that triangular piece in the middle is a drop off.  Anything over 3mm gets pushed to the sides, and anything less slips under and drops into the bucket, along with the water.

So yes, you will still lose water out the sides, but not nearly as much.  I am printing this right now.  Roughly 3.5 hours.  Don't have time to design another yet, so this one will have to do me on my trip to Michigan starting Saturday.

I have tested this whole thing, and it fits perfectly on a bucket!  ?  FIRST TIME!

Untitled.jpg

• Like 1