Worlds Smallest Electric Sluice Box!

3 hours ago, JustSwell said:

Really interesting project! I hope you find endless nuggets and gold moon dust.

Thanks!  I'm headed to Michigans upper peninsula Saturday.  Will be there just over a week.  I'm taking all my gold sluicing stuff with me.  Highly doubt I'll find anything, but it'll be interesting to give my stuff a live test in the wild.

If all goes well, I'll post the version that goes on the 5 gallon bucket on eBay.  Not sure on price yet.  But I want to be sure it's functional.

If like to make a much larger version, with a stronger pump, and much larger throughput capacity, but time and money aren't on my side right now.

• 1 year later...

I've actually started redesigning this last week.  Much easier printing, fewer parts, more robust, unlimited stackability, interchangeable modules, and uses whatever mat you want to put in it.  Similar style to the Gold Cube.  Each module (layer) is 100mm wide, 220mm long, 70mm tall, 9° bed tilt.

Existing "modules":

• Wash trough
  • Linear classifier
  • Manual trommel (powered eventually)
  • Regular riffle slope

You should be able to make silicone molds of those parts and cast them in polyurethane to make multiples if you plan on selling them. I took a 2 1/2 gallon pressure paint pot and converted for pressure casting to take bubbles out of the resin.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-1-2-half-gallon-pressure-paint-tank-66839.html?_br_psugg_q=pressure+paint+tank

You simply need to take the feed tube out and cap it off. 60 psi is plenty. I also made a rubber gasket for the same pot with silicone and some 3/8 acrylic. Put an air nozzle on it and attached my vacuum pump to it for degassing some materials that need it.

Looks like your parts should just fit inside.

Resins and silicone you can get from Smooth-On or Alumilite. Smooth-On has the Task series that is probably the ones you want.

Nice project and design!

• Like 1

That's actually not a bad idea.  I'm going to print versions in both PLA and PETG, see which one will hold up better.  If I do get enough people interested, I'll make molds and mass produce, but I'm thinking only 10 or so people will be interested in getting a set.  Who knows, I might be surprised.  😄