phrunt

Puzzled By GPZ Detecting Tiny Nuggets Deep But Missing Shallow Shotgun Pellets

19 minutes ago, mn90403 said:

Make that one a separate thread.

I will...I was just teasing you with an appetiser. :laugh: Simon has just left my place to go for a solo detect. I am still getting over yesterday's mammoth effort of E-Biking up to that paradise. Stunningly beautiful country but you can see how brutal it is for detecting & backpacking the Zed & all the paraphernalia.:rolleyes: But someone has got to do it.

20180908_112139

Bit of work gone into that ground

20180908_124947

Maybe it was the weight of the gold I carried back out that broke the camels back. :laugh:

Oh.....& guess what?.....Not one shotgun pellet....or .22 shell casing or lead bullet head

Good luck out there

JW :smile:    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kiwi, I was going to make a suggestion on your ebike.  If you do a lot of hill climbs, swap out the front sprocket for a 30 tooth chain ring.

Thats what I run here in the California hills. You might loose a little top speed, but you gain waaay more torque going up hills and put less stress on the internals of the motor. Its a very good mod for those kits and not expensive!

• Thanks 1

Thanks Wes,? That is something I have been looking at doing. The standard front chain ring is 46 tooth & I was wondering what the best size would be for a lot of uphill grunt work. So thanks for your recommendation.  Yes...the top overall speed isn't that important to me but the uphill with less effort on my behalf & less stress on components is. Probably why Mrs JW broke her chain. Gravity dictates my down hill speed & that is usually way too fast. So that's where the 203mm disc brakes & 4 piston callipers hold me back. :biggrin:  Cheers.

Good luck out there

Yep I'd try the smallest ring you can get- 30 or 32 tooth.  Your bike will be a whole different hill climbing beast. One thing, your chain line might not run as straight when in the lowest gears, depending on your bikes geometry. Just run a good chain, keep it lubed,  and it shouldn't be a issue. Thanks and have fun!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WesD said:

One thing, your chain line might not run as straight when in the lowest gears, depending on your bikes geometry.

Thanks Wes, Yes I was thinking of the geometry as the Bafang sprocket has quite a bit of throw in it. My back sprocket cluster is 9 speed. A lot of the purpose built E-Mountain bikes are 11 speed. A local bike shop has the sprockets. I may just settle on a 32 tooth sprocket, will talk to the bike mechanics & see what they have to say re sprocket size & the geometry thing. I need to go to Aussie, not physically, to get the adaptor for the sprocket to fit the Bafang set up. Thanks for your input. By the way, what size motor & battery are you running? Legally here in NZ we are restricted to 300 watt motors & a power assist speed max of 25k's an hour on public tracks & roads. Which is what I ended up getting. I should have gone for at least the 750 watt set up as I aren't so much on public roads or tracks with my detecting. There is even a 1000 watt set up which I see is popular in the States. Cheers

4 hours ago, WesD said:

Just run a good chain, keep it lubed,  and it shouldn't be a issue.

Good bit of advice there JW.   What I don`t know about E Bikes would fill an encyclopedia, but years ago I owned a single cylinder 600cc thumper trail bike and it was an awesome bit of gear for going up hills.  I put a $30 chain on it and it lasted two trips, I then put a $130 O ring chain on it and never had to replace it again.

• Like 3

Kiwi, I have the 750 watt bbsHD motor. Its the newer version thats supposed to have  beefed up internals. These  have a bad offset for the chain line to begin with, but it hasnt been an issue for me, even with the 30 tooth. Been using a gold KMC chain and have about 300 miles on it so far.

A friend of mine has the same setup as yours and also runs a 30 tooth sprocket. He had an 8 speed rear cog that he moved the lowest gear to the center, so that his chainline is perfect in the low gears.  Honestly he didnt need to do that as mine runs fine with some angle, but if you want it perfect, that's an option to remedy that.

Man these things are super fun.  I used to kill myself biking up hills and now its all thumb throttle or some moderate pedal assist.

What I also like is they run so quite that no one is bothered or suspects you have a motor. Stealth!

• Like 3

12 hours ago, phoenix said:

I put a $30 chain on it and it lasted two trips, I then put a $130 O ring chain on it and never had to replace it again.

Hi Dave, I learnt very early on with my mountain biking that quality costs but it is worth every cent with getting the top end componentry that will take the battering & rigours thrown at it that comes with serious mountain biking. It comes down to lightness & durability. You don't get that from steel. :biggrin: Sometimes you have just got to spend the money. Bit like on detectors. :rolleyes: Cheers.

Best of luck out there

• Like 1

I'm with Strick on the sounds and knowing what is and what usually is not.  I take groups of prospectors out and work with them quite often.  They seem to find the tiny surface targets I miss and ask how did I miss it.  It was not that I missed it, it was more of the sound was not right.  I don't dig many small surface nuggets either, so on occasion a leave them a dink.  But my odds are better off if I go for the narrow soft sounds.

I do the same thing when hunting old parks and schools.  I don't dig many modern coins and usually end up with more old ones than new.  Anyone who hunts with me, goes nuts as they dig 2X the amount of coins and still end up with less older ones.  Again, I play the odds to my favor.  Now to be fare, not all sites and or areas can be done as I mentioned.

My ear and coil control are my odds makers and most of the time I can usually play on house money.

• Like 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      U.S. dealers are including the 19” coil free with GPZ 7000 purchases for a limited time. I’m not sure if this is being offered in Australia.

• By phrunt
      I have ordered a new size X-coil, it's a 12x8" X-Coil,  It's already in the post however it's delayed in shipping due to international shipping delays the world over.  Hopefully this coil arrives soon. I am very excited about it as I think it will be the perfect size for NZ.
      It's even in NZ's black and white colours.

This should be good in our rocky terrain on small gold.

• By klunker
      I'm not shy about it. Yup. I have big clumsy feet. The good news is it gives me stabilizing ballast should sobriety forsake me. The bad news is it's hell on GPZ 7000 lower shafts. I have broken several. To make matters worse, the lines of communication between my big feet and my small command and control center often get disrupted somewhere between my gullet and my gizzard which allows my big feet to proceed on a different heading than the rest of me. Oops, there goes another GPZ 7000 lower shaft. But I don't take full responsibility for all of these broken lower shafts. I don't recall ever breaking the good ol' GPX lower shaft and they fit at least 10 different detectors and cost less than half of a GPZ lower shaft. So I lay most of the blame at the feet of Minelab and not because of the feet of Klunker. The shaft is just plain flimsy. 
       Being a "tight wad" by nature I have tried numerous times to repair a broken lower shaft using glues, epoxies, tape, splints and every flavor of bubble gum you can imagine. Nothing worked. I finally came up with the idea of totally replacing the lower end of the shaft and it work splendidly.
       This was made from an inch and a quarter by 1 inch pvc plastic pipe tee, a fine toothed saw, a drill, a round file, a sander, a heat gun and a bit of good epoxy. 
      This repair has held up for a couple of dozen trips and survived the icy conditions of early spring detecting, which is when my big feet are at their worst. If anyone is interested I will post instructions

• By flakmagnet
      Why oh why does the WM12 take such an unusually long time to recharge when the GPZ battery charges in a couple of hours, and other electronic equipment charges in (much) less time than that? I am not actually complaining but I am very curious why this is so.
      Anyone?
    • By mn90403
      Today I took a short beach swing and didn't find much but it was good to just get out in a sea breeze if you know what I mean.  I used the Equinox 800.  About midway through my 2+ hours I checked my settings and noticed I had recovery speed on 5.  I changed it to 6 and then the thought came to my mind, "What would I do or could I do with the Zed to immulate changing the recovery speed?"
      I've used the 800 in many different settings so far but mostly the beach.  I've seen the videos of nails next to good targets.
      How do YOU tease the good targets out of trash like the 800?
    • By phrunt
      JW contacted me in the morning saying he's got the day off work so if I wanted to go for a detect jump in my car and head on over to his place.  This is always a hell yes from me, the world would have to be ending to stop me.... oh uhm... whoops 🙂 maybe more than the world ending.
      We were going back to the exact same spot we were at the previous mission so figured I'd either use the 15x10" X-coil or the 10" X-coil, but because the area is very rocky I went with the 10", you need as small of a coil as possible for this terrain.

The 10" can get into some pretty tight spaces.  Gold here would be missed with any bigger of a coil.
      JW noticed our Davsgold picks looked a little different, this is odd as we both have the same pick so we compared them

The years of wear on JW's pick is pretty evident, his pick has gone through hell smashing up schist for years 🙂 He needs to give it a sharpen, the sharp point on mine is very handy. 
      I've also upgraded the magnet I had on my pick, it's been excellent.  I drilled out a 30mm deep by 20mm round hole in my pick and dropped the strongest magnet I could buy into it with the same dimensions.   Now not only is the base of my pick magnetic, the sides are too, it sucks up ferrous junk like mad.  I'm very happy with it.

I can move the black sand around on it 🙂
      JW was back detecting his highly productive cliff edge armed with his hammer and screwdriver, so I figured I'd go back and check around where I was the other day.
      It wasn't long and I had a very faint signal, a few scrapes and the signal improved.  The bedrock in this spot is about 4 to 9 inches down.  It turned out to be quite a nice bit of gold down in the bedrock that required breaking up some bedrock to get to it.  For the first time I managed to record a good part of the find on video as I was so confident it was going to be gold.  I've wanted to capture a find on video for a long time.
      Here is a photo of the spot I got it, it was actually quite deep, and the gold was on edge, it's a very skinny bit.

My biggest of the day.
      I spent the next hour or so checking the area slowly.  Plenty of pellets but nothing else.
      I moved back down towards the little gully JW was detecting and on the path we bike in I had a signal, I'd done this path bit the other day with the Nox, I'd spent an hour or two on this small area with it but I missed this piece, maybe just too deep for the Nox.

Down through the gravels to the bedrock again.

Almost like a little ball 🙂  This round gold is common in this spot, JW's been getting a lot of it.
      I then realized I forgot to balance to my ferrite ring, seeing I'd gone from the 12" to the 10" X-coil I thought I may as well do it.
      Again I don't know if I am balanced to it being new to the GPZ but I did the procedure and the noise of the ring all but disappeared after a couple of sweeps over it.
      The day was getting pretty exciting, I was hoping for a 3rd but for the next few hours I got nothing but pellets... I had a break and drink and watched JW for a while, I usually learn a few things doing this and I was able to see his coil control is far better than mine, he drives that thing around keeping it so close to the ground hugging the rocks while checking the bedrock cracks.

The cracks in the bedrock like in this photo can contain gold, but you have to check the entire rock as the gold has proven it can be anywhere in the rock in healed over cracks.
      As the day was coming to an end I went over to a spot that chased JW away with the abundance of pellets there, they were everywhere!!!!
      It paid off though, my final nugget for the day

This is up on a bedrock ledge, the ground is 10 to 15 feet below where this little ledge is

and down deep in the gravels was a bit of gold........ and about 8 pellets 🙂

The gold had a louder and more distinct signal than the pellets.  Another ball type bit.
      And now the weigh in.....
      My junk

Not as bad as last time, I'd already done a lot of the cleaning of the area 😉

Not too bad 🙂 I haven't had three in a while.  Almost worth celebrating with a beer at the pub