Any News On The 15 Inch Noxy Coils?

Andy2640

1 hour ago, Daniel Tn said:

That's how I've always described an elliptical coil; via the larger number.  A 6x10 DD coil has always been a "10 inch elliptical" to me.  The 12x15 should be roughly the equiv to a 13 inch round coil, and if it offers up to 2 inches more depth, that is huge to a lot of us.  

My point was it's not a 15 inch round coil.  Folks were not adding "elliptical" so 15 inch coil (implying round) and 15 inch elliptical coil are two very different coils from a depth perspective.  Just wanted to clarify that.  I think the 15x12 is a great compromise between depth, coverage, and weight.  Would like to see a similar elliptical at the low end too, like 8x12 or 6x10.

• Like 1

Equinox is specifically a detector with very good signal processing, it is very strong on the 11 "coil and also
  very strong on 6 "coil- and low sensitivity 14 ...- if you work as an analog detector only 2- tons ... without ID  -incredibly deep.. :smile:.... today I compared the sensitivity and depth of allmetall mode and discrimination .. If you compare SEF12x10 with 10dd to Spectra V3 ... so I can not believe the coil 12x 15 for equinox will be deeper than standard 11 "-that will mat long window of scan ...

• Like 1

Over time, the elliptical wording has been dropped.  Same with the CTX large coil, people refer to it as the 17" coil, although it too is elliptical at 13x17.  

Andy -- Between the Nox and Multi Kruzer it has been a fun test.  The Kruzer is built much better overall than the Nox. For depth...In my test garden, the Nox with 6 inch coil is overall deeper and more accurate in ID vs the Kruzer with the 7 inch coil.  But most people aren't going for depth with small coils attached. The game there is in how much it seperates.  Over the past two weeks I have hunted some nasty trash areas...iron trash.  I've hunted areas with one machine and marked signals.  Then checked them with the other machine...then dug those and rehunted with the other machine to see if I had missed anything.  I have yet to locate a target with one that the other couldn't also detect.  The difference has came in ID.  The Kruzer has an expanded ID range so it tends to shotgun the ID and tones on a target....a scattering blend if you will.  It is never locking or sure of itself...it can just basically say there is SOMETHING non ferrous in the ground.  The Nox has a more compressed ID and therefore doesn't jump as much in tone or ID numbers.  I feel you might NOT be able to differentiate between a copper penny or dime...but you know it's probably a coin and that is fine with me, cause its getting dug anyway.  The Kruzer may give a range from aluminum to coin range and all in between.  I also seem to get more noisy operation from the Kruzer and more falses...especially off iron in the 19khz mode.  I don't ever dig mis IDing iron with the Nox (iron that reads as non ferrous...like iron buckles and such)  but this is common with the Multi Kruzer.  Some like that though.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Daniel Tn said:

Over time, the elliptical wording has been dropped.  Same with the CTX large coil, people refer to it as the 17" coil, although it too is elliptical at 13x17.  

Still worth it to remind folks its an elliptical IMO.  I know plenty of folks who mistakenly believe the depth performance on an elliptical is driven by the long dimension and who will argue about it until the cows come home.

Also, I guess I'm used to GPX's where you spell it out because there are 15" round coils and 15x12 SEF ellipticals (and even larger coils) and a variety of similarly sized coils with wildly different performance characteristics (DDs and Monos) and folks pretty much spell it out in conversation to make it clear what they are talking about. 

Agree there is not a need to be as specific on the Equinox since there is only one coil available with a 15" dimension :mellow:.   My bad for being too OCD about it, I'll go back to my cave now.  Lol.

• Haha 1

I’m still waiting for the 6” coil, but am considering the 12x15 for improved coverage on fields, which I’ve been doing more lately. I’m wondering if I might be better off getting a cheaper ( possibly used) 15” coil for the f75 for fields, and whether the nox with 12x15 would be markedly better than the f75 with 15”?

I am a big fan of the F75 but if you get a large coil for it the absolute last one I would get is the actual Fisher 15" round coil. It is heavy and completely ruins the ergonomics of the detector. It also does not seem to add much for depth. I used mine once and got rid of it. I am not knocking Fisher here, just that particular coil. If you want a larger coil for the F75, go aftermarket.

It won't be long now for the 12" x 15" - I promise! :wink:

fisher-f75-15-inch-search-coil.jpg
15" round DD search coil for Fisher F75

• Like 3

On 10/3/2018 at 5:53 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

I am a big fan of the F75 but if you get a large coil for it the absolute last one I would get is the actual Fisher 15" round coil. It is heavy and completely ruins the ergonomics of the detector. It also does not seem to add much for depth. I used mine once and got rid of it. I am not knocking Fisher here, just that particular coil. If you want a larger coil for the F75, go aftermarket.

Agree with Steve.  I had the exact same (negative) experience when I went for the 15" coil package deal when I had FT do the DST mod to my T2.  Loved the new T2 firmware but just could not swing that T2 for any appreciable length of time with the 15" DD boat anchor.  For the F75, the various 13" and up 3rd party coil options are much better bet in terms of retaining some balance on your F75 with some usable performance gain.  

Hopefully, the ML large coil will be a much more positive experience.

Hoping it comes soon, the ground is gonna be frozen in the coming months.  Dont make me cry Minelab,  be nice!

2 hours ago, Andy2640 said:

Hoping it comes soon, the ground is gonna be frozen in the coming months.  Dont make me cry Minelab,  be nice!

Seems like you are doing fine with swing coverage with the 11", Andy (3 hammered's).  I would not get too emotional over it, frankly.  The price is what is probably going to make you cry more.  Lol.

• Like 2