Any News On The 15 Inch Noxy Coils?

Andy2640

Also check this one out.

This was found in a fairly well detected spot. Could we speculate that this coil had just enough extra depth, while maintaining sensitivity to find it? Would Steve have found it with the 11" coil? We will never know if it was the coil, the machine or just happenstance but it is a find worth noting.

As long as it maintains reasonable sensitivity to the odd shapes, as demonstrated in this picture, it should make a great coil for offshore water hunting, just based on coverage alone, a slight depth increase being a bonus.

Caveat emptor with regards to salt water, but it should be OK.

I do have concerns about the increased drag in the water, though it looks reasonably thin. I do a lot of land hunting too, so even if I don't like it in the water it will get some use. The Equinox is priced well so there is a little room to buy a few accessories compared to the CTX and Etrac.

herschbach-celtic-votive-offering-minelab-15-12-coil.thumb.jpg.7d0b94b6fc422e21766b81e06271eb1c.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, dewcon4414 said:

Seems there are a ton of them out there now......... wheres the reviews or whats being found with them at what depth?   Normally by this time we have the placebo affect on new products.   Ive not seen anyone using them in the water yet or talking about it.

Seems to me like a few people just got them in the last few days. Patience perhaps?

minelab-equinox-15-12-dd-coil.jpg
Minelab Equinox 800 with 12" x 15" DD coil

minelab-equinox-15-12-dd-search-coil.jpg
Minelab Equinox 800 with 12" x 15" DD coil at the beach

1 hour ago, dewcon4414 said:

No I didn’t go back through the thread.  My phone for some reason won’t let me do anything except first and last page.   I appoligise for any toe I may have stepped on.  Was he hunting salt water?  I’ll have to get on the computer when I get home.   But Chase still not a lot of buzz on the coil for this machine.  I’ll do more research....thanks

well I went back and seen his thread.  Very little info since he hadn’t hunted but a couple of times in the water and seemed to be addressing his park hunts.  

No worties. I just thought it was notable because his was the first in water report I had seen of the big coil, especially addressing coil drag, so it struck me when you said you hadn't heard any.  It is going to be Spring/Sumner for our friends Down Under so we should be getting some additional reports of water usage from them.  Only the real hard core US and UK/European users getting in the water at this point, so that could have something to do with the sparse water reporting in addition to being few coils on the street at this point.  Wish I had one for my upcoming Central VA relic hunt in hot ground.

Steve normally I’ve got patience..... but I’ve got to make a decision since I’m on a dealers list and may get a call soon.  Couple of concerns would be how it pushes out there, those ears, if u use the standard shaft, and the cuff.  I broke mine as u remember and now use an Andersons.  I already wished the standard was a little more sensitive in the water to small gold.  Daniel did an air test on his....not great and I’m pretty sure the salt water will bring the standard and this coil to be about equal.  BUT.....I’d like to know more because it gets a bit irratating when people take the negative side and don’t even have the coil.  Soooo I’ll be patient lol

• Like 1

I have used my big 15 inch coil twice  now and this coil will remain on  my Equinox 800 from now on. Minelab finally has figured out how to make a big lite weight coil.   It hits targets harder then the 11 inch coil does.  Therefore targets are deeper then I expect them to be.  So far in 6 hours of hunting, I have 4 rings but the only good one is a thin silver toe ring.  I so miss the days when you could dig 10 rings over a period of a time and 9 would be either gold or platinum.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Mine pushes around underwater just fine but I honestly don’t care if anyone gets one or not. Since I prototype this stuff it’s rather a waste of time to share my opinion anyway.

Steve... I have to disagree that no one values your opinion.  I most certainly do.  You and your site have provided a wealth of information since this journey started.

• Thanks 1

First hunt with my new 15” coil and I am definitely impressed.. The weight is so light for a big coil that I didn’t give it a thought all day.  It pinpoints with ease but you will appreciate and miss the capabilities of the stock 11” coil once you find yourself in heavy trash.. This should be expected of course but I was still able to isolate a couple coins near iron on todays hunt with the big coil. It just took a little more effort.. The thing that was most noticeable was how hard it hit coins at  9-10 inch depths..  All coins found today were between 8 and 10 inches except the Shield Nickel hung up in some roots around 7”.  My friend who I consider a better hunter then I, did not find ONE old coin today with his MX Sport.  This is a very tough sight and everything is real deep. The guilt factor was getting so high by the end of the hunt I almost didn’t want to find another coin.  It’s much funner when everyone is doing well for sure.  

The IDs and depth gauge accuracy seem better then my 11” stock coil.  The Barber Dime was a full 10” with solid mid to high 20s all the way around.. No doubt it was a coin. In fact I told my friend I thought it was silver before I dug.  The ground is tough around here and very few Detectors can ID anything correctly past 6”.

To sum up my experience, the 15” Coil is a great addition to the Equinox coil lineup.. It’s a no-brainer if you have large open areas to hunt with moderate or less trash.. It will spend a great deal of time on my 800 for sure!

Bryan

E5BF9725-5E86-47FA-B05E-BEA6C563E0F9.jpeg

D17DBF90-186B-4169-BB00-CFA089A4537F.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Equinox being what it is I don’t see why any serious detectorist would not want both the 6” coil and 15” coil. They extend the versatility of the most versatile detector made. The 15” swings like a dream - I used it every day in the U.K. from sun up to sun down. I did a half day in the water at Tahoe with it, not a definitive water test since there was no surf, but again an easy swing in the water. I am used to swinging a CTX with 17” coil however and so my view on this may be skewed.

In the U.K. when mud built up on the coil it got heavier and the washers had a harder time holding the coil at a given angle, exhibiting when I would put the detector down and it would want to lay flat. No problem clean and dry. I do think for serious water use a properly designed aftermarket rod would be a good idea, but in general I thought that anyway. Serious water hunters tend to heve issues with most stock rod assemblies so there should be no surprise there.

The depth thing my expectation is air tests as always will prove indeterminate as Multi-IQ needs ground to show its stuff. In general in extreme mineral ground the coil should hold its own or perhaps lose a small amount of depth compared to the 11” coil because the larger coil “sees” a much larger volume of soil. In extreme ground this means the machine has to work harder to see targets. In moderate to milder ground the coil will generally match the 11” coil for depth with any increase in depth seen more on larger targets than small. Larger in particular means round targets like coins and especially rings. Equinox loves round targets. I am pleased with how well this coil hits on small targets but it is inevitable an edge will be lost on the tiniest stuff.

In my opinion the reason to get this coil is extra ground coverage, with a depth bonus obtainable in many situations. Depth may be adversely impacted in extreme mineral ground and the smallest targets in any ground. It should be obvious that a larger coil will suffer from more masking in dense trash.

I have no problem pinpointing with the coil - I prefer to walk around and analyze the target. The targets will shift into place if you do a walk around. Going after the target too quickly with this coil will result in off center targets - take that extra few moments to get it right. For shallow targets or targets out of the hole, either tip of the coil works very well as a pinpointer. So well I stopped using a separate pinpointer on the last week of my U.K. hunt.

For me the coil being so light is the big thing. I don’t see how anyone except those very sensitive to the extra weight would not want this coil for beach and field hunting - anywhere targets tend to be sparse and ground needs to be covered to find them. The coil was absolutely brilliant on my U.K. hunt. When I loaned it out at one point the 11” coil made me feel like I was having to do baby steps. This coil unlike most large VLF coils I have owned is going to get a lot of use. I predict that for many it will become the most used coil on their Equinox.

• Like 7