Any News On The 15 Inch Noxy Coils?

Andy2640

Myself and my Equinox user friend David Hopper and his son Kevin went onto one of my Roman field permissions on Sunday 4th November with both David and myself using the new 15" coils, we were both very impressed with the performance of this coil and the results were very much like what Gordon Heritage had stated in this months Searcher magazine we were impressed with both the depth and signal quality from deep extremely small finds and we had Roman Minims around the 6" - 8" depth mark, I had 22 and David had 8 and these coins were as thin as paper and the size of your little finger nail.

The highlight of the day was when Kevin and myself watched David digging a pit to recover his signal from his very rare Roman Vesparsian silver Denarius 69 - 79AD,   I said to him are you digging for a grave we had tried both machines over the signal and David recovered his find at around a foot deep (His Pinpointer + 4").

One thing which we both noticed was that we had to turn down the "Sensitivity" 2 or 3 notches to quieten down the ground chatter even though we were carrying out manual "Ground Balancing" it could have been caused by the sheer volume of ground coverage and feedback with a large coil very similar to the CTX-3030 17" coil and the wet soil conditions wouldn't have helped.

The weight is very light for a big coil that I didn’t give it much thought all day and that is from an almost 76 year old. It pinpoints with the greatest of ease. To  my experience, the 15” Coil is a great addition to the Equinox coil armoury. It is a a great coil to turn to if you have large open fields especially pasture to hunt with moderate trash and just like we proved it is very capable to find the small items at a great depth, on my Roman fields there is next to nothing other than Roman coins and artifacts to be found but on my other permissions where I find the abundance of Medieval hammered silvers I can see this 15" coil hitting the small hammered silver farthings, half pennies, whole hammered silvers and cut quarters & cut halves.

Myself and David were detecting close together and using Kevins coil photographs I believe there is a lesson to be learnt why I am hitting more signals and resulting finds than David and I have mentioned the cause to David in the past and for the uninitiated take a look at Davids coil it is dry and clean whereas mine is muddy and wet and following advice from Neil Jones ( Slow & Low ) always keep your coil flat on the ground like ironing the soil because detectors don't like air between the coil and the soil, David always swings his coil 2" - 3" inches above ground level, on the previous visit to this field with David we both worked the same area and again I had 22 Roman coins and David had 10, like Neil has said before if you are not going through 2 - 3 coil covers a year it shows you are not utilizing the coil sweep correctly to achieve maximum detection depth, which makes sense.

That will have to do for my observations of the 15" coil.

Good Hunting

Randy

Davids Vespasian Denarius (1) 4th Nov 2018.jpg

Davids Vespasian Denarius (2) 4th Nov 2018.jpg

Randy Got 22 Roman Bronzies ( 2 ) Sunday 4th Nov. 2018.jpg

Randy Got 22 Roman Bronzies Sunday 4th Nov. 2018.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Yes,.... the 15X12 "equinox coil is deeper than the 11" standard coil, it's like more + 2 sensibility, and it's most visible at high recovery speeds ... where the 11 "coil does not even increase the sensitivity ...Today I tested all 3 Equinox coils on the Equinox 800, plus other coils on the Whites Spectra V3 ..

canon G10 november 2018 026_DxO.jpg

• Like 5

I took my new 15” coil out on Saturday and Sunday this weekend and I love that coil. I agree with others who are saying that it seems to hit harder on deep targets. I also found it very easy to pinpoint. Overall it’s almost identical to using the 11” coil but you cover a lot more ground and it goes a little deeper. It is very light for such a large coil but I did notice the extra weight due to the design of the Equinox. I love the light weight of the unit but, I’m considering adding a small counterweight at the top of the shaft to improve the balance.

Results: I found one Civil War Bullet each day and som camp lead. Not that exciting but they were both new spots and there wasn’t much there. I did find a lot of deep memorial cents and modern bullets, shell casings, etc. If there had been any good relics there, this coil would have found them.

Joe

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Cabin Fever said:

First hunt with my new 15” coil and I am definitely impressed.. The weight is so light for a big coil that I didn’t give it a thought all day.  It pinpoints with ease but you will appreciate and miss the capabilities of the stock 11” coil once you find yourself in heavy trash.. This should be expected of course but I was still able to isolate a couple coins near iron on todays hunt with the big coil. It just took a little more effort.. The thing that was most noticeable was how hard it hit coins at  9-10 inch depths..  All coins found today were between 8 and 10 inches except the Shield Nickel hung up in some roots around 7”.  My friend who I consider a better hunter then I, did not find ONE old coin today with his MX Sport.  This is a very tough sight and everything is real deep. The guilt factor was getting so high by the end of the hunt I almost didn’t want to find another coin.  It’s much funner when everyone is doing well for sure.  

The IDs and depth gauge accuracy seem better then my 11” stock coil.  The Barber Dime was a full 10” with solid mid to high 20s all the way around.. No doubt it was a coin. In fact I told my friend I thought it was silver before I dug.  The ground is tough around here and very few Detectors can ID anything correctly past 6”.

To sum up my experience, the 15” Coil is a great addition to the Equinox coil lineup.. It’s a no-brainer if you have large open areas to hunt with moderate or less trash.. It will spend a great deal of time on my 800 for sure!

Bryan

E5BF9725-5E86-47FA-B05E-BEA6C563E0F9.jpeg

D17DBF90-186B-4169-BB00-CFA089A4537F.jpeg

Dang Bryan!  I'm on the wrong side of the state!  Awesome finds!!  I can't wait to get my 15" this week!!  And I can vouch for your comments about the tough ground and the 6" limit.  If this 15" gives a little better response at the 6+" range... it is a game changer (on a machine that is already a game changer). ~Tim.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Tiftaaft said:

Dang Bryan!  I'm on the wrong side of the state!  Awesome finds!!  I can't wait to get my 15" this week!!  And I can vouch for your comments about the tough ground and the 6" limit.  If this 15" gives a little better response at the 6+" range... it is a game changer (on a machine that is already a game changer). ~Tim.

Just had my second hunt today with the 15” coil.  It is a game changer for me!  I have never had a coil improve my finds so dramatically as this coil has. If you have open areas to hunt with real deep coins, it’s a no-brainer.  It’s not that the new big coil is dramatically deeper but that it hits the 9 and 10” coins so easily that I am confident that it is finding the coins at depth that the stock coil has a harder time catching..

4 Indian Head Cents today.  I have never found 4 in one day. Also found 4 silvers today.  Extremely rare but I did both the same day.   My poor friend got crushed again today, this time with his trusty V3i and big coil. He found 2 old coins to my 12!  That’s 23 to 2 over a two day period.  That is not the norm. He is a very skilled hunter but just could not reach these coins. 

Bryan

4B2AA763-B306-4068-9DAB-99A28910301F.jpeg

A9DC7124-0FE3-415A-AE25-8724454F4429.jpeg

3C868214-FC4A-4646-9A91-568D7A311DD4.jpeg

ADFB7F23-8269-4932-8AF0-418452F52E7F.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Oh my! 1

You are KILLING me Bryan!!!   Man!... huge congrats!

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:36 PM, Cabin Fever said:

My New 15” Equinox Coil mounted on one of steveg’s  beautiful Custom Rods from http://www.stevesdetectorrods.com/

Hope you all get yours soon!

ED766B4B-9B5F-4F2C-A7D9-33FD2290B13A.jpeg

1304C8B3-9FB9-4EBC-BCD6-E7F606273F39.jpeg

Thanks for the kind words, Bryan!

You are REALLY making some GREAT finds over the past few days with the 15"...

I can't wait until I receive mine!

Steve

• Like 2