Sign in to follow this  
Sourdough Scott

Metal Free Boots

Try to find in work gear stores or take your pinpointer with you... or wear sandals! And pray for ground without sankes and thicks....

I wear the metal-free 5.11 tactical from lapolicegear.com

Also Doc sells a similar product ...

I get comfort and good mileage out of mine and I am pretty hard on my shoes...

fred

I wear the metal-free 5.11 tactical from lapolicegear.com

fred

Second that though I recently purchased some stouter Converse tactical boots for use in mountainous terrain. The 5.11 are softer and nicer in normal terrain.

I do most of my gold hunting in and around water, so I use a pair of these neoprene boots. They work pretty well on land too, but they are not that breathable. You may have to shoe goo (glue) some areas of the seam back together occasionally, as they tend to come apart after a few hours in the water. They won't keep your feet dry, but they are good for protecting your feet when rock hopping in and out of water.

As long as we are talking about boots, can somebody tell me what exactly is meant by a waterproof boot? I have boating shoes I can wear underwater and they drain quick and don't smell afterwards, a measly 13 bucks at Walmart, but I had to get size 13 to fit my size 10 feet.

The one pair of supposedly waterproof boots I bought ,stank so bad after walking in a creek, I ended up trashing them.. altho wearing hip waders is a drag too and I seem to be allergic to neoprene ? When water gets inside my neoprene boots, my calves swell up and feel like they are on fire.  I'll stick with the cheap boating shoes for now for creek prospecting but need something for walking overland.

And how do you guys prevent yourselves from getting black and blue toenails after hiking up and down  hills? Happens to me every year on vacation.

Pretty much any military related on-line store will sell metal free boots. Up to you to choose the most comfortable boot and the best deal. I asked my SO's nephew what everybody was wearing over in the sandbox and he said a lot of guys were wearing the RockPorts, Danners, and Converses. I went with the RockPorts as I have a couple pair of their shoes that are very comfortable, so I figured the boots would be also. They were... just like wearing tennis shoes.

Bates, Converse...5,11

Check out the side zipperd ones Scott...

It will make them easier to get on and off... especially when you are talking size 22

I had a pair of bates in my hand last sun that were ridiculously light... like 20th Oz per pair

I have several pairs of metal free boots! All the brands are a little different fit wise. To bad LA Police Gear doesn't have a place a person can try the different brands on at one place to achieve the perfect fit for your feet!

Happy boot shopping,

LuckyLundy

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By kac
      Reminds me when I kept getting sporadic falsing and turned out to be my steel toe work shoes. At least I didn't dig for them. 

• By klunker
      I had a high speed blowout on one of my detecting boots yesterday but due to my amazing physical abilities and fast thinking I was able to maintain course and continue detecting.
      I'm a pretty even tempered, mellow kind of prospector and I keep my cool ,even when the world is collapsing down around my ears. So back to the subject at hand------------
      WHY ^%(&#@^!!* CAN'T SOME ^&%+)$&@& COME OUT WITH A ^%_)$!* PARE OF %&$#(#@ DETECTING BOOTS THAT WILL LAST FOR ONE &%$(%#!@ SEASON!?
      Thank you Dr. Herschbach for the therapy session. I feel much better now.
    • By Andy2640
      Apologies if im posting a lot, but im really into this hobby. 
      My finds arent stunning by any means, but it does show that this machine is very capable!  Its only a matter of time before the treasure is found, hehehehehe.
      Cheers Peeps!
      Edit: You may think this is a lot of finds for the amount of time ive been hitting it, but kindly take note, i was informed one location was the spot of an old wishing well.  LOL.
      Andy

• By Azavsfan
      Really 2 topics here. I am interested in what kind of boots you folks use while detecting. I prefer metal free and currently use a pair of Keens but the sole is already starting to delaminate and they have less than 60 hours out and about. I know they are good about replacing them, or so I have heard, but I would really like something that will hold up reasonably well and won't give me that falsing that can happen when I forget about metal in boots. I ran into a Border Patrol agent who said he uses a boot called Vibram Rocky that has no metal and stands up to the terrain down here in Yuma by Sea (sorry Condor, I can't resist repeating your catch phrase). Comments or new ideas?
      2nd question is about a standalone GPS unit that folks use. I have an old Etrex but would like something a little newer and if possible it will accept Google Earth images/KML files so I don't have to try to redo all the points I have saved to my places and the special MRDS and other KML layers I've accumulated.
      Any info is appreciated and I know from experience that somebody out there is bound to learn something from these topics besides myself. Thanks in advance.
    • By Ridge Runner
      I was at a loss just where to post this new look for the coin and nugget shooter. So I said this is the best place for all to see.
      I had to do something being every time I put my tool bag on before I started detecting it would pull my jeans down. Then when I’d bend over I don’t have to tell you what would show. My wife was always pointing that out to me.
      Well lady’s and gentleman I have found What I think that will fix our problem. Lady’s this may be a man problem only but you may want to give it a try.
      My wife said she won’t be going anywhere with me wearing my new look. Just think that’s money you already have saved by her staying at home when you go out for dinner.
      I must say they may be a little hot now but well worth it. You can find them at Walmart. The brand name is Liberty and they are all cotton.
      Get Ready For The New Look For 2018
      By Chuck

• By martygene
      Maybe waterproof some of the time. Maybe warm some of the time. Sensitive enough to find small targets without having to take gloves off. And rugged. Maybe one pair for warm and another for waterproof. And then I will be going to the UK in late April so what would be good for over there? Any ideas of what has worked ( and not worked) would be much appreciated. thanks. I saw one YouTube vid where a guy was wearing Sealskinz but the reviews on Amazon weren't all the best and they are expensive.