White's Goldmaster 24K & GMT Compared

A quick specification comparison of the two detectors.

whites-goldmaster-24k-versus-gmt.jpg
White's Goldmaster Goldmaster 24K versus White's GMT

White's GMT Instruction Manual

GMT Information Page

White's Goldmaster 24K Advanced Guide

24K Information Page

Despite similarities these two detectors have a different lineage. The GMT was part of the effort involving engineer Dave Johnson that resulted in both the GMT and MXT. The Goldmaster 24K however I am almost 100% certain is an offshoot of the MX5 project, variants of which also include the MX7 and MX Sport.

Notes on the chart above. The GMT has the ability to directly manipulate the ground balance up and down via the plus and minus buttons on the pod face. The Goldmaster 24K (GMK) relies on either automatic ground tracking or the ground grab, features the GMT also shares. However, the GMK has a ground balance offset feature. Under the section titled "Ground Scan" on page 15 of the White's Goldmaster 24K Advanced Guide:

"In Ground Scan you can also set a ground offset by using the UP and DOWN arrows. This selection will affect the ground offset in normal search mode whether using XGB or locked settings."

Note that the offset, once set, is active in both ground tracking mode and when using the ground grab function. Normally a manual ground balance is used to just tweak the setting derived from tracking or ground grab up or down a small amount. This can be done with the 24K but in a different fashion than the GMT. The fact the offset is active while in ground tracking actually gives the GMK an ability the GMT lacks.

The Goldmaster 24K has a volume control the GMT lacks.

A real biggie in my opinion is that the GMK can completely block the audio from ferrous targets. The best you could get with the GMT is an audio "iron grunt" on ferrous, but no way to shut it up. This is even more an issue when you get into some bad hot rocks that signal as iron. The GMT can get pretty noisy, but the GMK allows those signals to be blocked. It can in fact also block ferrous "wrap around" signals where ferrous reads very high on the scale, almost like a silver target.

Coils compatible? That very important note is to warn you that all past Goldmaster/GMT coils are not compatible with the new Goldmaster 24K. Just another tip that these really are different detectors under the hood.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Steve,  Great side by side comparison.  You brought up some pretty good bits of info and I personally have put at least 100 hours on the 24K.  Not having a manual at first, I was not able to do the Ground Offset, but now it is used often kind of like a hot ground balance...or cold if really bad soil.

The 24K runs much smoother and is easier for a beginner or novice hunter that only goes 5 to 10 times a year.  They will enjoy the new added features of the 24K and its better price point too.

Well done my friend.

• Like 1