Should I Sell The Xs And Replace

Propjob

As I now have the EQ800 and also an Explorer XS and Garrett GTI 1500, should I consider selling the latter detectors and replacing with something else.  Trying to simplify things but would like to have a back up to the Equinox.  the battery on the XS is shot but I use with the alkaline pack and the Garrett is only alky's  I would be willing to consider something less all around and more coins and relics than the EQ.  I would be interested in hearing some thoughts  A DD coil would be preferable as I am getting use to the EQ11.

Jim

What Steve said.

600 or 800 for pure backup.  Best value bar none versus the alternatives discussed below.  I am into value.  Don't be fooled that just because the Equinox is is a jack of all trades, that it is not a coin and relic master.  In my opinion it is a master at detecting those targets.  

That being said, there is something to be said for employing detector tech diversity in your arsenal.  Therefore, I recommend Deus (HF or X35 Coil) or Multi Kruzer for tech diversity/backup.  Multi Kruzer has the edge if water hunting or wet salt beach hunting is on the agenda but I think EQX 600/800 still beats out the Multi Kruzer in this regard. 

Though more costly, Deus has the edge if primarily terrestrial hunting.  Look for a value, used buy from someone bailing on Deus to go to EQX or is just ftustrated with it.  You can probably get a deep discount on the legacy Deus LF coils but I would prefer to pay the premium for the investment in the far superior X35 or HF coils.  11" x35 for max depth and coverage or 9" round HF for great all around and kight weight performance or the 9.5" elliptical for pinpoint-like separation and restricted swing situations.

HTH.

I bought the Equinox 600 as a backup not only in case something went wrong on my 800 while detecting but as an extra for a friend. The side benefit of buying it was my wife got interested in detecting. When I started planning my trip west for this fall my wife immediately asked if I had a detector for her. She has always enjoyed seeing what I found detecting but never took and interest or wanted to go out with me. When I showed her how simple the 600 was she said heck I can do that and although I can't say she loves it but if she finds a few decent relics or coins she will jump in with both feet. I am thinking I no longer have a back up. The 600 is quickly becoming hers. 

I have the Equinox 800 and Makro Multi Kruzer and couldn’t be happier.

The Multi Kruzer has a great selection of factory and after market coils available, build quality is the best out there and like the Equinox it’s also waterproof.  

• Like 1

On 9/5/2018 at 10:29 AM, Propjob said:

As I now have the EQ800 and also an Explorer XS and Garrett GTI 1500, should I consider selling the latter detectors and replacing with something else.  Trying to simplify things but would like to have a back up to the Equinox.  the battery on the XS is shot but I use with the alkaline pack and the Garrett is only alky's  I would be willing to consider something less all around and more coins and relics than the EQ.  I would be interested in hearing some thoughts  A DD coil would be preferable as I am getting use to the EQ11.

Jim

If it were me, I'd probably keep the Explorer XS as the backup, so long as it has no significant problems other than the rechargeable battery (you can replace that with a better aftermarket one or just go on using the alky pack, since it presumably won't get too much use as a backup). I consider my Etrac (essentially an updated Explorer) a good complement to my Nox (I prefer the Etrac over the Nox for most things), and there are a lot of reasonably-priced coils available for the Explorer/Etrac line (they use the same coils).

But if I were going to buy a new machine as a backup (and that is completely valid), it would probably be the Multi Kruzer. I've heard good things about it, and would find it interesting to try a new machine and compare it against the Nox. The caveat here is that if I used my detector a lot and considered it a necessary daily tool (not the case for me), I would instead buy another Nox as the backup just so there would be a seamless transition if my primary machine ever went down.  That's what I do with laptops since they are necessary tools for me. My two cents.

• Like 2

Thanks D. That is kind of what I am struggling with.  The XS still works and I can get along with the Alky. Now that I am getting more use to the nox I should make a comparison especially since the upgrade. We should be getting field data in soon.  Thanks,  The nox makes me appreciate the weight also.      Jim