Greetings From Indiana!

William P

Howdy folks, I'm very happy to be here and always looking to meet new like-minded folks who enjoy the outdoors and in this case, metal detecting! I've only been detecting with any true effort since Feb this year ( 7 months). I bought an Garrett Ace 250 about four years ago...dug up a few nails and some bottle caps and sold it a few days later over Craigslist. I just didn't have the dedication at the time.

Fast forward to this year, I started watching Youtube videos on metal detecting and started to get the bug again. I went out to Amazon and bought a horrible machine called a GC-1028 detector....basically a Chinese remolded Ace 250 from what I was able to tell. I did find some modern change and TONS of garbage. Not wanting to give it up this time, I managed to talk my wife into allowing me to get a Garrett Ace 400 for my birthday. Within two months I had pretty much mastered the tones and was collecting good amounts of change, tokens and some jewelry here around town and a few easy permissions I got. 

The Ace 400 works well and I don't have any problems with the machine being what it is. I bought a 5x8 coil for it and about three days after that I found my first silver coin on a permission, a 1904 Barber Quarter in pretty decent shape. My bother in law about fell down when he saw that (He runs a Whites MX Sport). no more than five feet away, I dug out a nice 1941 Mercury Dime. Good times and fond memories of my first silver coins)

Fast forward a little, I'm still watching Youtube videos and thinking about upgrading to a nice waterproof machine that also supports wireless (I was getting sick of wired headphones) I figured I was going to stick with Garrett and was looking at the AT Pro or maybe the AT Max if I could come up with the cash...but all that changed when I started researching Minelab and started looking at the 600 and 800 ? Multi-IQ Freq, waterproof to around 10ft, full Bluetooth and proprietary wireless support and some pre-set search modes...add in light weight construction and easy to use controls and I was sold. I sold my AR riffle and ordered the Equinox 800. I've been using it for just under a month and have fallen in love with it! I'm still learning, but I have watched some great Youtube videos and have modified Park 1 and Field 1 to better suit my needs. Just the other day I found a very nice pure silver spoon about six inches down and it came out beautiful (gotta love silver!)

Anyway, I'm sorry for the long winded intro. I'll post a few pics of the two silver coins I recently found and the silver spoon from just the other day. I'm working on my door knocking skills and need to really dive into that at some point. I'm pretty sure that's where the last of the old coins are located in this town, it's all been hit hard by detectors over the years.

Many thanks to Steve Herschback for his incredible articles and links to videos on how to set up the Equinox and for providing us all with his years of detecting knowledge.  

See you in the forums!

-Bill

IMG_1261.PNG

IMG_1288.JPG

• Like 6

Always glad to have new blood on the forum, and being from Indiana (N,S,E,W?) is a bonus.  ? Clearly you are a fast learner.

On 9/5/2018 at 3:17 PM, William Peltola said:

I'm working on my door knocking skills and need to really dive into that at some point. I'm pretty sure that's where the last of the old coins are located in this town, it's all been hit hard by detectors over the years.

I think that's pretty much true no matter where you are in the US.  You always have to find the sites where people have lost coins and where no one else (with skill and a good detector) has searched.  Fortunately those private sites are still plentiful -- the key is getting permission and that takes a bit of courage.  You seem to have that.  Keep is informed as to your progress, and welcome.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

Always glad to have new blood on the forum, and being from Indiana (N,S,E,W?) is a bonus.  ? Clearly you are a fast learner.

I think that's pretty much true no matter where you are in the US.  You always have to find the sites where people have lost coins and where no one else (with skill and a good detector) has searched.  Fortunately those private sites are still plentiful -- the key is getting permission and that takes a bit of courage.  You seem to have that.  Keep is informed as to your progress, and welcome.

I'm down in Bloomington IN, great place to live (even with the student population) and there's old stuff to be found, it's just going to involve some door knocking ? 

• 2 weeks later...