Got A Penny This Morning

Jackpine

Very cool. A friend once found one of these lovely coins in the UK not long ago, and it was the 2nd i'd seen with a tiny hole at the top.  It was clearly being worn as a necklace.  Its a lovely looking coin.  Nice1 buddy.

• Like 1

Nice one.  Your soils seem to be pretty benign if this is how it came out of the ground (after rinsing).  I'm also remembering the V-nickel you showed a couple days ago.

You said you cranked up the gain to 23-24.  How deep was this Indian Head?

If I could just hunt fairgrounds the rest of my life I'd be happy.  ?  Appears you are far from the first to have a dectector over this site but it's still producing.  I bet there are more goodies there.

Speaking of rain, unlike you we've been pretty dry the last ~3 weeks but that appears to be changing just in time for the weekend -- we're in the bullseye of the remnants of that tropical storm.  I'm just hoping that softens the ground and greens the grass so I can cut clean plugs.

On 9/6/2018 at 8:37 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Your soils seem to be pretty benign if this is how it came out of the ground (after rinsing).  I'm also remembering the V-nickel you showed a couple days ago

Generally yes,  our sandy soils don't hold a lot of water and drain fast so at times leaves coins in very good condition.  I have actually dug a few clean brown IH's  which is a real treat.

On 9/6/2018 at 8:37 AM, GB_Amateur said:

You said you cranked up the gain to 23-24.  How deep was this Indian Head?

It was in the 7" to 8" range but was in a patch of iron mixed with some burnt remains from a fire.  A spot I intentionally hit because it had gave up some old coins in the past.  I was pleasantly surprised to get this one for sure.

Yes, this site is very well known and has been hunted by every local and probably many many other for years.  High conductors are almost non existent, really only hoping for a nickel now and then.

• Like 1