Gordon Heritages Bronze Age Axe Hoard 1000bc With Equinox 800

Randy Dee

Here's a video showing the recovery of a hoard of Bronze age axes. they date to around 1000BC. There are 47 axes (17 Palstave and 30 socketed) and 5 fragments of an ingot.Gordon using his Equinox 800 The hoard has been report to PAS, and we hope to return and film any excavations on-site in the future

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hello there randy,

Very nice finds!.  Can i ask, how do you identify that you have a very old piece in your hands?  Is it a case of knowing what your looking for, or are there tell tale signs that a piece is indeed centuries old?

Cheers

Andy.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andy2640 said:

Hello there randy,

Very nice finds!.  Can i ask, how do you identify that you have a very old piece in your hands?  Is it a case of knowing what your looking for, or are there tell tale signs that a piece is indeed centuries old?

Cheers

Andy.

It all comes naturally as you expand you finds knowledge and spend loads of hours reading reference books and the hobby magazines.

• Thanks 1

I see, thanks Randy.

One last question if i may,   did you actually find that gold coin in your picture?  That's a dream coin right there ? 

8 hours ago, Randy Dee said:

Here's a video showing the recovery of a hoard of Bronze age axes. they date to around 1000BC. There are 47 axes (17 Palstave and 30 socketed) and 5 fragments of an ingot.Gordon using his Equinox 800 The hoard has been report to PAS, and we hope to return and film any excavations on-site in the future

Brilliant finds, great reporting, thanks for the target ID's, what did all metal show up? and what Mode did you use/prefer, I assume either Field 1 or 2? Cheers Clive

1 hour ago, Andy2640 said:

I see, thanks Randy.

One last question if i may,   did you actually find that gold coin in your picture?  That's a dream coin right there ? 

Yes my avatar photo is one of my own finds it is a Roman Gold Aureus of ( Domitian ) Caesar Domitianus Augustus; 24 October 51 – 18 September 96 AD.

I have also found another Roman Gold Aureus of ( Nero )  Nero Claudius Caesar 37 - 68AD.

• Like 2

Hi Randy,

It is bloody brilliant that coin! Congrats.  And if i found a Nero edition, i think I would cry with joy, no joke.

I Cant resist another question,  hope you dont mind ? 

In your experience, what depths do you find the roman's at (depending on location, i.e fields, pasture etc).  My oldest coin was found a few days ago in a ploughed field (1500 give or take a century).  The farmer said - "good luck, its been detected on a good few times" LOL. I had to explain that the ploughing brings em back up and vice versa. But he was a nice guy this farmer, and i like him (rare for farmers).

Thanks, its always nice to talk with a UK detectorist as well as our other world brothers.

Andy.

22 minutes ago, Andy2640 said:

Hi Randy,

It is bloody brilliant that coin! Congrats.  And if i found a Nero edition, i think I would cry with joy, no joke.

I Cant resist another question,  hope you dont mind ? 

In your experience, what depths do you find the roman's at (depending on location, i.e fields, pasture etc).  My oldest coin was found a few days ago in a ploughed field (1500 give or take a century).  The farmer said - "good luck, its been detected on a good few times" LOL. I had to explain that the ploughing brings em back up and vice versa. But he was a nice guy this farmer, and i like him (rare for farmers).

Thanks, its always nice to talk with a UK detectorist as well as our other world brothers.

Andy.

There is quite a few governing factors for what you can get a signal from regarding detection depth and first of all is what type of detector used (ie) Pulse Induction, Single Frequency, Multi Frequency Etc. Etc. Etc.

Then the land or sand conditions (ie) Mineralisation, Iron Infestation, Wet or Dry soil Etc. Etc.

Then Detectorists usage and settings of his / hers settings and most of all equipment knowledge.

So as you can see there is no definable conclusion to detection depth for not just Roman Coins but also any metalic object buried.

There is no more potential to find Roman coins as there is to finding any other object under the right conditions.

• Thanks 1