Steve Herschbach

My Tips On Nugget Detecting With The Minelab Equinox

Thank-you Steve! This is a very informative and helpful article. You are a really good writer, by the way??

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a million Steve, clears up all of my questions I've had all in one easy to understand way....  and confirms what I've been thinking and doing.

• Like 4

Thanks I have been out twice searching for nuggets and had challenges with the deciphering the noise I got in Gold Mode, did notice it would quiet greatly with 20k or 40k.  These tips will help.  I know the detector is working because I managed to find very small nuggets of molten aluminum and a tiny grommet for a shoelace or something, one aluminum scrap was so hammered and funky I thought it could be a small silver nugget but feels like aluminum.  Otherwise, bullets and casings seem to be the most common Alaska finds, I have found those everywhere I've been.  Also just got Clive's Equinox Book and started reading that.

• Like 3

Excellent article, Steve; very informative and easy to understand...you’ve covered all the bases for nugget hunting with the Equinox.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are a lot of posts with good information but every once in a while one comes along that is so densely packed that it's worth bookmarking for repeated reading.  Steve, you've created another one of those.  Thanks!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Where you talk about the snails crawl on the 20 square foot patch do you mean walking really slowly or swinging really slowly or both? KiwiJW commented last time we nugget hunted I was going way too fast as he was pulling up gold constantly with his Zed and I found nothing except pellets and 22 shells.  I admit I was sort of jumping around all over the place, I was like the ball in a game of pong bouncing around the area we were in.

Was the better method for me walking slowly, swinging slowly walking back and forth like I was mowing the lawn?  I was in Gold 2 with it's default recovery 4 and 25 sensitivity and the detector was playing nicely,  I didn't change any other setting, I generally just use defaults for the modes.

I need to start to work on technique now, John was going very slow in the same little patch almost all day, and I was darting around but I didn't want to get in his way so I stayed away as much as possible, but the ground I was in nearby had gold I missed as he later went over it and gold was popping up for him.

It could just be it was all too deep for the Nox and 6" but it could also be my technique made me miss some of it. 

• Like 2