My Tips On Nugget Detecting With The Minelab Equinox

Thanks I have been out twice searching for nuggets and had challenges with the deciphering the noise I got in Gold Mode, did notice it would quiet greatly with 20k or 40k.  These tips will help.  I know the detector is working because I managed to find very small nuggets of molten aluminum and a tiny grommet for a shoelace or something, one aluminum scrap was so hammered and funky I thought it could be a small silver nugget but feels like aluminum.  Otherwise, bullets and casings seem to be the most common Alaska finds, I have found those everywhere I've been.  Also just got Clive's Equinox Book and started reading that.

• Like 3

Excellent article, Steve; very informative and easy to understand...you’ve covered all the bases for nugget hunting with the Equinox.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are a lot of posts with good information but every once in a while one comes along that is so densely packed that it's worth bookmarking for repeated reading.  Steve, you've created another one of those.  Thanks!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 9/8/2018 at 8:29 PM, Hard Prospector said:

Decrease sensitivity and increase recovery speed  in hot mineralized ground sure reminds me of my GMT days......Remember; " increase the V-SAT, decrease gain and when all else fails switch to tracking"

I suppose some things haven't changed so much

True that. I actually find tuning the Equinox up in Gold Mode with no target id numbers rejected quite reminiscent of tuning up the White's Goldmaster series. You have Recovery Speed doing very much what White's V/SAT (variable self adjusting threshold) control is doing. The nice part is you also get the iron bias control, the ability to block target id segments, and the killer - ability to change frequencies. It is all this additional control that I really like on the Equinox, but which may make it a harder lift for some people trying to properly integrate all the controls.

• Like 4