My Tips On Nugget Detecting With The Minelab Equinox

1 hour ago, HardPack said:

Steve, 

Could you expand on the lack of a “true threshold” on the Equinox 800 in either Gold Mode 1 & 2. What are you listening for with the reference threshold “on” and “off” besides the blanking on rejected segments?
On the Xterra 705, I use the reference threshold set at 4 with headphones in coin mode with  segments -8, -6’ -4 & 48 rejected. I first sweep the area for coins while removing larger iron objects. When the reference threshold “ nulls or blanks” I switch to All metal to identify the iron… -8 & 48 hot rock, -6 small iron, -4 dig and remove.  Next I switch over to Prospect Mode with true threshold set at 12 with headphones listening for the “zip zip”.

Great write up on the Equinox. I also like the fine tuning. It appears be a great old mine site scouting machine. I plan to upgrade after the first of the year… that was for Gerry.

Happy Holidays

I did not say the Equinox does not have a "true threshold" but that it lacks a "true threshold based mode" and what I should really have said was "true threshold based all metal mode." Short answer - the threshold is not connected to the ground response, but is merely a disc based threshold that indicates rejected targets. The new White's Garret 24K is the same way, disc mode mimicking true all metal mode.

It's explained in great detail in the link at the post I made above yours. Here is the link again.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Good stuff Steve.  I was lucky and found a 2 oz. nugget last year with a borrowed Minelab Equinox 800 that had been tuned by the person who i borrowed it froms friend, and the settings saved as a preset.  Once i got home i rushed out and bought my own E800 and also the 6" coil.  My brother found a 1/2 ozer, with a Goldbug2, so good outing.

My brother and i are going out to our dad's claims next week and bringing three detectors to try out.  The Minelab Equinox 800, a Minelab Gold Monster 1000, and a Fisher Gold bug II.  We will be climbing old dragline tailings mostly and relying on dumb luck, hunches and perseverance.  Any suggestions on where good opportunities might be, like how to tell where a sluicebox had been in relation to the tailings, which detector and coil might be best to use, and how to tell if a tailing pile was in the payzone vs. not?

• Like 1
  • Oh my! 1

On 8/15/2022 at 7:17 PM, 907trouble said:

Good stuff Steve.  I was lucky and found a 2 oz. nugget last year with a borrowed Minelab Equinox 800 that had been tuned by the person who i borrowed it froms friend, and the settings saved as a preset.  Once i got home i rushed out and bought my own E800 and also the 6" coil.  My brother found a 1/2 ozer, with a Goldbug2, so good outing.

My brother and i are going out to our dad's claims next week and bringing three detectors to try out.  The Minelab Equinox 800, a Minelab Gold Monster 1000, and a Fisher Gold bug II.  We will be climbing old dragline tailings mostly and relying on dumb luck, hunches and perseverance.  Any suggestions on where good opportunities might be, like how to tell where a sluicebox had been in relation to the tailings, which detector and coil might be best to use, and how to tell if a tailing pile was in the payzone vs. not?

Great questions 907trouble.

I hope Steve or somebody answers them because I want to hear them too……..

• Like 1