Gold I (almost) Ignored

jrbeatty

On my first Oz trip Larry took to a well worked spot.  I got a very loud signal under a salt bush. I figured junk but gave it a scrape anyway....a 3/4 oz piece that I expected to be junk right on the surface...my best piece of the trip!

You never know until you see it.

fred

• Like 8

I have been told more than once that my largest find (find of a lifetime as Fred puts it) was a matter of 'luck' and 'not knowing any better' because the target was relatively close to several camps in the area and was on the National Trails Highway in Arizona.

The reason I would have enjoyed such luck with my 5000 and 18" NF was I was hunting in an area that had deep 50 cal bullets and shells and it had a lot of surface meteorites.  My signal was big and deep so ... maybe someone had ignored it down in the bottom of that little swail thinking they knew it was trash.  It turned out to be a very nice specimen with 8ozt of gold in it.

Mitchel

• Like 6

8 hours ago, fredmason said:

On my first Oz trip Larry took to a well worked spot.  I got a very loud signal under a salt bush. I figured junk but gave it a scrape anyway....a 3/4 oz piece that I expected to be junk right on the surface...my best piece of the trip! - - -

Fred, That reminds me of another good one I ~almost~ left. Story coming - - -

7 hours ago, mn90403 said:

- -The reason I would have enjoyed such luck with my 5000 and 18" NF was I was hunting in an area that had deep 50 cal bullets and shells and it had a lot of surface meteorites.  My signal was big and deep so ... maybe someone had ignored it down in the bottom of that little swail thinking they knew it was trash.  It turned out to be a very nice specimen with 8ozt of gold in it.

Mitchel. Well done - How much big gold have we all inadvertently walked over at some stage? Better not to know.

• Sad 1

Excellent cautionary tale JR. It is even easier here in the States to fall into the habit of thinking big boomer signals are large surface trash. I left one larger than yours once only to see someone else dig it - that got my attention! Odd to think that many of us dream of nothing more than finding a large nugget, but then ignore the kind of sound a monster nugget would make.

The good news for me is I have been on both sides, and have dug nuggets others left for trash to make up for my lost find. 

• Like 5

At an area called 'Patchy flat', not far from Dunolly in Victoria I was detecting with a couple of mates. (these guys are well known by JR Beatty, and he can vouch for this story) An area had recently been skimmed off by a dozer to remove rusty cans and other rubbish from a depression era prospecting camp site, and a windrow of dirt and rubbish had resulted. John had detected a 40 oz lump the previous day, and was systematically gridding the area, when he heard a huge signal in the end of the windrow. Taking it for just a tin can he moved on, as that windrow was full of junk.

Some time later an old bloke called Kiwi Russell  (deceased) heard that same signal, but dug it. He dug through the windrow and into the ground below to uncover a 250oz nugget. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Steve said: "...Odd to think that many of us dream of nothing more than finding a large nugget, but then ignore the kind of sound a monster nugget would make..."

For me that is the quote of the year.

Happily (for once), I did not ignore the booming target that produced my biggest find; a 1.9 ouncer up in the Sierra's.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

The good news for me is I have been on both sides, and have dug nuggets others left for trash to make up for my lost find.

Ditto Steve. Love those dipping signals in other peoples incomplete holes.

Doesn't happen often enough though.