Ls.pelso Waterproof Headphones For The Minelab Equinox

ColonelDan

LS.PELSO Waterproof Headphones for the Minelab Equinox

Colonel Dan                                                                                                                5 September 2018

I had an opportunity to test these new waterproof headphones for the Equinox and wanted to share my thoughts with those on this forum.  Rest assured, I have no financial interest in these headphones and am under no obligation in any way to Kellyco, the retailer.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Upfront Disclaimer: I'm neither an engineer nor an employee of Kellyco, I'm just a guy who uses his detecting equipment like many of you. The internal technical details of how the equipment is manufactured and functions I leave to the experts. This independent review is strictly from the average Equinox user stand point and focuses on what detectorists like me look for in a good set of headphones.

First Impression: Solid. My initial impression of the LS.PELSO headphones was how solidly constructed they were; no flimsy materials anywhere. The cable was especially impressive; first class quality all the way and long enough to ensure ease of use without placing any strain on the cable.

Fit and Comfort: Very good. Sufficiently tight without unduly squeezing your head as some headphones I've tried. They're easily adjusted for proper fit and stay in place very well even under sweaty conditions. The ear pads are soft, comfortable and well fitting.

Ambient noise reduction: Excellent. The LS.PELSO headphone base unit was originally designed for hearing protection/noise reduction and modified to include underwater speakers. Consequently, they reduce outside noise extremely well. The true test; I could easily hear faint signals of small deep targets with negligible distracting sounds from the environment.

Tone Quality: Exceptional. The speakers provide outstanding tonal quality under all test conditions. Clear, crisp and distinct. These headphones don't use piezo technology but high quality underwater speakers...a big difference in my view!

Faint Signals: Excellent. The combination of effective noise reduction and high quality tones produced by real speakers work hand in hand in producing those faint whispers where many good targets try to hide. With these headphones, I could pick up those small targets at depth well enough to certainly prompt me to dig them.

Durability: Looking good. I obviously can't report on long term durability since I only had these a few days for testing and review purposes. Having said that, based solely on the observed quality of the materials and construction, I'm going to bet these will be more durable than many I've used.

Waterproof: Absolutely. I think the best testimonial I could provide comes from a hunting buddy who had his set completely submerged for 30 minutes and they worked perfectly throughout.

Speakers vs Piezo: I can't testify as to any detailed engineering specifications but I can and will say this; these are the first headphones I've ever had on my head where I had to turn the volume down on my detector. Although these headphones aren't equipped with an independent volume control, I never missed that feature. The volume control of my Equinox was more than sufficient for adjusting it to a comfortable level. When I first turned on my detector with these headphones attached, I was indoors and the Equinox volume was set at 25--they nearly blew my ears off. Outdoors, I was certainly able to adjust the volume sufficiently to insure those whispers were heard. On other headphones I've used with an independent volume control, I had to keep them at max level. As noted, these headphones utilize true underwater speakers and are thus far beyond any I've used which employ piezo technology.

Conclusion: I'm sorry I had to give them back after testing but I will have a set of these. They're truly superior water proof headphones in my estimation and will become my “go to” set for the Equinox in and out of the water! Now you may ask, “Why would I need a set of waterproof headphones? I don't hunt in the water.” Have you ever been caught in a downpour? Ours is an outdoor sport and when it rains, I certainly don't want to risk my non-waterproof wireless Equinox headphones. These LS.PELSOs are just the ticket for both excellent performance and peace of mind but again, that's just the view from my foxhole...

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalog/ls-pelso-underwater-headphones

• Like 5

17 hours ago, Redneck said:

The least kellyco could do is compensate you for such a stunning review.

Thanks for the kind thoughts but I really don't want or need compensation.  I like being independent and therefore free of any obligation whatsoever to a business...real or perceived.  I do these tests and reviews as a very enjoyable retirement activity. ?

• Like 2

Dan.... ive not tried them, but had a guy on vacation call me about issue with them and his detector while there.   So let me ask you .... have you tried any other waterproof phones..... Tony Eisenhowers, Harolds, MLs yellow or Matty St James.... ect?    I ask that because he was a bit disappointed at their volume.  

The only ones I've tried that you list were the ML yellow and they're not in the same league as the Pelso headphones.  I can't say anything about the others but I can tell you that the volume of the Pelso, when my EQX was set at the max of 25, was such that I had to turn it down. Having said that, what is loud for me might not be loud at all for someone whose hearing is not what mine is....that's to be expected sine we're all different.   I know that other detecting buddies of mine who have tried the Pelsos also said they had to turn down the volume.

I've read some very good reports on those others you've listed but have no basis of comparison to the Pelso set.

ML yellows are Piezos so are much quieter and do not have great sound isolation (compared to the Pelso's).  The Pelsos require me to turn down the volume as the Dan said.  Not so with the other WP headphones I tested.  To be fair though, the others being Piezos will work better if you are detecting with your head submerged or diving, which is not what I do.  I am looking for heaphones that will survive a dunking but I am generally keeping my head above water.  Pelso fit the bill.  I did a side by side volume comparison test linked below:

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

Great Run-down, Dan--appreciate your thoroughness.

Regards 

clive

I appreciate ANY reviews on equipment.  Cant have enough info when choosing headphones particularly.    They have come a long way.   What ive found between Pizs and speakers on the Nox is the modulation is a bit different.   With speakers you dont get quite the modulation..... at 25 a beer can lid down a bit can sound just like a quarter.. so get get modulation i turn down to 23.    Pizs dont have quit the volume.. and in some case the crispness of a good speaker.   In some ways with high volume its like running max gain...... so you get a little more surface mineral sound as well.   Ive tested a few waterproof phones...... most dont go out immediately if done right...... but the tell is a week or so of constant use...... then you get that dreaded snap, crackle and pop we all hate.   Excellent review.

• Like 1