More Nails After Update?

sillllvar

So I did the update on Friday and went out for a hunt yesterday. I feel like I noticed an increase in depth, shocking depth on a couple of Targets ? The location was an old colonial Rock walled field in the woods. There were 5 or 6 piles of rocks with thousands of small stones in them, so heavy agricultural activity. No home site visible but plenty of Iron in the area. I run the machine pretty hot but I feel like I dug more nails than usual after update. Anybody else experiencing that? 

HH

Sillllvar

As far as the the update, I haven't notice more nails but I suppose it could have something to do with the big silver on edge thing. If anything I might have noticed a touch less, but too early for me to tell.

Sometimes i consider the sensitivity as the rusty nail dial. lol Running above say 20 brings more falsing on smaller nails as you go higher.

• Like 3

If you find yourself digging more nails try rotating around the target before digging. If the ID is solid I always dig and yes on occasion I'd dig a large nail but that's okay because I've often found a nice relic in the same hole.

As for falsing, Alluminati is right.  Give yourself and the updated machine more time to accumulate to one another.  

• Like 2

I'll share a nail story from many years ago:

I had the great pleasure to hunt with an older guy "David Linville, deceased" many years ago. He hunted with a single tone machine, not a BFO, I with a top of the line. We were hunting a very old school yard, he was finding good stuff, me, well I won't say. Any way I was digging a lot of bent nails and he had dug none. I was so curious I had to ask why, his reply, "I can tell by the sound". My reply, bull, he let me listen to a few of the targets before he dug. They all sounded the same to me, but his years of experience had trained his ears to the small changes in the audio that I couldn't hear. Any way he was good at finding rings behind me. Mono tone is great in some areas, but I could never mimic how he hunted. I sure miss David.

The more time you put on the Equinox the more you will start hearing.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Mark Gillespie said:

If you find yourself digging more nails try rotating around the target before digging. If the ID is solid I always dig and yes on occasion I'd dig a large nail but that's okay because I've often found a nice relic in the same hole.

As for falsing, Alluminati is right.  Give yourself and the updated machine more time to accumulate to one another.  

And as Alluminati alluded to, try lowering sensitivity.  It may just be the site has a lot of nails.  But it this IS the case, lowering sensitivity a tad may help.  The good news is that if you don't like and can live with the previous version, it's a snap to roll back.

• Like 1

Thanks guys for the comments! I found a good lot of the nail targets produced a good ID and tone response. I used to get the odd iron circle and chunk of cast Iron come through on my explorer SE (Conductive setting) but I could live with that for sure. I've been metal detecting 20 odd years and have always run my machines hot. Over in the UK if you don't you are leaving stuff behind  ? Now I'm here in the states I'm in a very different environment. No longer massive crop fields, instead thick woods and heaps more concentrated Iron. One thing I did not dig with the SE was nails, so this is unusual for me. I'll try that rotate trick more often. I have done it in the past, but the curiosity of wondering if it was just an iffy signal always got me to dig ? I ran my sensitivity at 20 in that old field system. What would you suggest it should have been at  guys?

I'm under 100 hours on the machine, but I'm in no way frustrated. I know it takes time to get to know a machine. But I LOVE this machine, I wish I had it back in the old Country lol Man, I could see some Celtic gold under my coil ?

HH

Sillllvar

4 hours ago, Mark Gillespie said:

I had the great pleasure to hunt with an older guy "David Linville, deceased" many years ago. He hunted with a single tone machine, not a BFO, I with a top of the line. We were hunting a very old school yard, he was finding good stuff, me, well I won't say. Any way I was digging a lot of bent nails and he had dug none. I was so curious I had to ask why, his reply, "I can tell by the sound". My reply, bull, he let me listen to a few of the targets before he dug. They all sounded the same to me, but his years of experience had trained his ears to the small changes in the audio that I couldn't hear. Any way he was good at finding rings behind me. Mono tone is great in some areas, but I could never mimic how he hunted. I sure miss David.

I'm sorry about your pal, I can't imagine hunting without my buddies out there ?

HH

sillllvar

9 hours ago, Mark Gillespie said:

Mark, this is a great point.

There is so much truth to getting to know our machines, its' sounds and responses, and how this knowledge can improve the success of our searches.

Rich (Utah)

Does the Nox still like rusty nails?  Unfortunately, yes. But, I don't think I've been finding more nails after the update than before. Really, I don't think the update made much of a difference to anything operational--the Nox experience, at least for me, has stayed the same.  Pinpointing might be a tad less prone to "sticking" (and that would be good) but I'm not even sure about that.

I'm pleased we got the update, and kudos to Minelab for that, but I wish Minelab would provide us with an explanation of exactly what changes were made and why.  That way, we wouldn't have to waste time speculating and looking for things that aren't there.

• Like 3