More Nails After Update?

sillllvar

On 9/9/2018 at 12:32 PM, sillllvar said:

Thanks guys for the comments! I found a good lot of the nail targets produced a good ID and tone response. I used to get the odd iron circle and chunk of cast Iron come through on my explorer SE (Conductive setting) but I could live with that for sure. I've been metal detecting 20 odd years and have always run my machines hot. Over in the UK if you don't you are leaving stuff behind  ? Now I'm here in the states I'm in a very different environment. No longer massive crop fields, instead thick woods and heaps more concentrated Iron. One thing I did not dig with the SE was nails, so this is unusual for me. I'll try that rotate trick more often. I have done it in the past, but the curiosity of wondering if it was just an iffy signal always got me to dig ? I ran my sensitivity at 20 in that old field system. What would you suggest it should have been at  guys?

I'm under 100 hours on the machine, but I'm in no way frustrated. I know it takes time to get to know a machine. But I LOVE this machine, I wish I had it back in the old Country lol Man, I could see some Celtic gold under my coil ?

HH

Sillllvar

I'm no 20 year expert so gains of salt and all.  I don't know if my local areas are just crazy mineralized or what but I'm often running it way below 20 to calm it down and I feel like it's pointing out everything.  Junk next to treasures everywhere too often perfectly separated next to each other that I purposely check by digging into the side of my coin hole quick to find the junk nearby and validate that.  I had real trouble early on in my areas when sensitivity was always 20 or above.  I've really only had a few spots where 20 and above worked well.

I feel it is going to depend on your soil type. That's what I learned from people here while I was trying to figure that all out this spring and it's really helped me to drop it down. So from a newbie's perspective I wouldnt be hesitant to drop below 20.  I'm still digging good things up that I've had other detectorists laugh at me for digging because my hole was so deep. 

I just wish I was digging up some ancient euro paths and villages instead of our US homesteads and beaches.  History isn't deep enough here, especially where I've been so far.  Celtic gold sounds like something that would have me shakin on every hole.  I really do like this detector and taking it with me everywhere.

• Like 1

Here are the better non ferrous finds from the hunt that day. I thought I had a silver button, but it's just heavily plated/guided? The silvery button has all the makings of a late 1600's down to the design on the front to the solid shank at the back. Probably one of my fav button finds so far on this side of the pond. The other two are Tomback one almost as shiny as the day it was lost in the 1700's and the other with a beautiful starburst pattern. The bronze ring is super cool and hand made with a hand made cotter pin lol Any idea's? I have a feeling there is early silver hiding in that area ?

HH

Sillllvar

A Good Button day.jpg

sideview.jpg

IMG_0448 (1).jpg

• Like 1