Do You Listen To The Ground Or Hear Targets?

mn90403

sony mdr- j10

try them...I love mine.

If the wind is blowing pull your watch-cap over the ears...I buy mine on amazon because I dislike the new models. Mine hang over the ear like glasses, the new models are closed-loop but work the same. 

I use these with JP's enhancer...

fred

Yeah, Mn a curly thread this is, I`ve a box full of "boosters", and I think back over the years and their use on many detectors, sometimes I thought they were useful maybe they were maybe they were just placebos. I`ve tried them on the Z and mostly just go with the RC, I guess after all those years I have no definite conclusion to the booster being of use, but the hearing. If I try to concentrate or clear the head, then the results are varied but there are those days when things just are happening. Why I don`t know but I think that subconsciously on those days your one with the MD. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, kiwijw said:

People will miss gold running their detector in lower settings to maintain that smooth even threshold that they would get if the ramped it up a bit & "learnt" to listen to the target signals that do stand out among the other noise.

For a month or so I have considered starting a thread very similar to this one about settings on the 7000.  As Steve said in another thread, there is no such thing as "best" settings across the board for all metal detectors and detector operators.    It comes down to what suits the individual and I have found the complete opposite to the settings Steve and JW use.   I run twin shoulder mounted WM12`s for the 7000 and a shoulder mounted Pro Sonic for the 2300 and for last 6 months I have been progressively turning my gain lower and lower and I have found no detriment what so ever to the performance of either detector.   All my recent finds were found with a maximum gain of 2 and on the 7000 I run a target volume of 4.         So I am now definitely in the listen for target responses camp.         And Simon, bearing in mind I sold my 5000 before the new range of coils came out and I have no reason to dis believe Phasetech,  I found more gold with my 8" Commander than all my other coils combined.       Most of these pieces I found with the 7000, but all of them were found with a gain of 2.   Good thread ?

1.37.JPG

• Like 4

Great topic, yes its hard to put some of the concepts of sound and hearing into words. After years of detecting I believe my brain has become wired to listen for targets, (even the targets that are represented by a slight miss in the threshold noise). You know the zone you get into where you are oblivious to all around and only hear the detector melody in your ear.

After coaching/walking with many people newish to detecting and seeing what signals don't register with them as they detect I can see how we/I,  always need to seek to improve my listening skills, especially for the faint small... and deep subtle big slug targets.

I think maintaining the ideal swing speed is still my greatest weapon... and cutting out wind noise as much as possible. I love headphones.

RDD

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, kiwijw said:

I am rather surprised to hear you say that the 8" commander found you more gold than all your other coils combined. But did the other coils find you bigger deeper gold compared to the 8"? What were your other coils? Cheers

Hey JW, the last time I went out and counted them I think it was 19 coils.   The smallest was 8" commander the biggest was 20" round or 24x12 UFO. Elipticals, rounds, DD`s, monos, you name it, there is a good chance I had it.  I kept buying coils telling myself this will be the one that gets me the bigger deeper stuff. Never happened.     My 2 biggest pieces, just under 1 ounce, and just over 2 ounces, I expect I could have got them both with the 2300. I certantly didn`t need the 20" round and wasn`t using the 20" when I found them.     For sheer number pieces and and quite probably weight, the 8" commander scored me the most gold.        Running the conservative settings on the 7000 I`m still not getting anything big but I have dug some way deep holes for good sounding rubbish, but, running these conservative settings, I have no doubt I am now getting deeper small stuff. I think when I do walk over a quiet whispering big bit, I`m gunna hear it.             I don`t expect too many people are going to turn their gain down, but that`s OK, we should all be running settings we are comfortable with. ?  cheers Dave

• Like 2

When I started using the 19 on the Z I followed JPs advice and throttled back my settings, this I believe lead to better distinction between ground and gold signals.  I`ve carried this over back to the 14 and believe my hearing is better able to handle at these more conservative settings, in fact am using normal rather then difficult more often now. But this is an individual thing and as we all concur each to their own.

• Like 3

Great thread

Going to add my 2 cents worth the first thing for me is when I first got into detecting I was a coin hunter and I found many coins including for me what most would consider a once in a life time find and I have stated this in a previous thread quite awhile back still have not figured out what would ever top that find for me but enough on that, the biggest challenge for me now that I hunt pretty much only for gold is hearing the faint target's as we all know coins are big booming sounds and the gold nugget's are not I have always hunted pretty much by sound as I run my XTERRA 705  in prospecting mode almost exclusively even while detecting for coins  with my threshold and sensitivity set pretty low the threshold settings are always set where I can hear them just a slight buzz but barely audible  like as people say an annoying mosquito buzzing in your ear but because of the tendonitis in both ears which for me at times is three different sounds in both ears all three going on at once , it makes it really hard to hear those faint sounds and distinguish between actual targets and tinnitus, is there any suggestions for that ???

I always felt while running the 705 with the sensitivity set to high or the threshold set to high or to many tones set i felt I lost depth with the 705 do not know if this is actually the case but it is what I believe

Again great thread

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kiwijw said:

I haven't even used my 19" yet 

My mouth waters looking at some of that country your photos show, just gotta be some nice slugs at depth away from the old fella diggings, heh but your having fun getting those small ones and why not. This season I also haven`t used my 19 as yet, grass is too high, but this certainly is an interesting thread, hearing is what it is all about. Wish there was a definitive answer and am wondering if something a ML representative said to me years ago will come about. He stated that detectors are getting more depth and sensitivity then our hearing can handle, wonder if we`ll see in the future a different approach, maybe utilizing sight even with a heads up display on our glasses. Meanwhile sorting out the gold sound from those annoying crickets (locusts), hot rocks etc.............

Hey Simon, until going back and re reading stuff I never picked up on the fact that you have a 10x5.  I never thought much of that coil but that could be because I never used it much, but one of my mates swore by that coil, reckoned it was a way better coil than the 8" commander.         Another one of my mates has gone back to using the 11" commander mono and loves it.       If you don`t have 11" commander I`d be surprised if JW doesn`t have one. It sounds like he was a coil tragic like me.