Do You Listen To The Ground Or Hear Targets?

mn90403

10 hours ago, DSMITH said:

Going to add my 2 cents worth the first thing for me is when I first got into detecting I was a coin hunter and I found many coins including for me what most would consider a once in a life time find and I have stated this in a previous thread quite awhile back still have not figured out what would ever top that find for me but enough on that, the biggest challenge for me now that I hunt pretty much only for gold is hearing the faint target's as we all know coins are big booming sounds and the gold nugget's are not I have always hunted pretty much by sound as I run my XTERRA 705  in prospecting mode almost exclusively even while detecting for coins  with my threshold and sensitivity set pretty low the threshold settings are always set where I can hear them just a slight buzz but barely audible  like as people say an annoying mosquito buzzing in your ear but because of the tendonitis in both ears which for me at times is three different sounds in both ears all three going on at once , it makes it really hard to hear those faint sounds and distinguish between actual targets and tinnitus, is there any suggestions for that ???

My suggestion is ... take a breath!  ?

As others have said, don't have too much going on between the ears when swinging a coil.

I have more in a separate post after I went out today.

Mitchel

Ok everyone, today I got a chance to go out to hunt for nuggets!  It was a cool day and I took the 7000, Nox and 2300 as we were going to hit a couple of old places and one new one.

I started just after daylight with the 7000 and a head full of suggestions from this thread.  I was going to listen to the ground by golly.  I was going to set up the 7000 so it was smooth.  I was going to listen and hear those faint sounds by turning up the booster.  I did all of those things and it sounded great!  I was one with the ground and the location and my detector.

You know what came to mind first?  I set this up as a hearing 'problem' or a 'sound' problem of sorts.  The first thing that came to mind that this is really a WRITING PROBLEM! (What?)  I mean, all I have to do is cross my t's and dot my i's.  The sounds will take care of themselves.  haha

The mind is a funny thing.

I had a great day out.  I heard and listened to a lot of ground and even tho I didn't find any nuggets I left the gold fields satisfied that if I got over a nugget I would have heard it.

Mitchel

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I participated in a couple of organized hunts as part of the club I belong to that goes out to the desert.

One hunt was put out into a natural area and we had to find two different sizes of pellets.  These are the pellets you use in an air riffle.  The larger pellet was about the .22 caliber size.  The other pellet was about .17.  We had a chance to 'see' them on the surface and my Equinox showed the big pellet at 4 and the small pellet at 2.  No problem I thought.

It was a 'large' area to hunt.  The pellets had been buried with a pick at 2-4 inches.  There were about 15 of us.  We could use any detector but I decided to use the Nox6.  Others were using GB Pros, 2s, Monsters but no PIs.  The hunt begins and I start swinging and I get lots of garbled signals.  I get lots of negative numbers because of trash and hot rocks and foils.  This is a natural field.  I can't HEAR what I heard in the test area.  I've balanced, cancelled and running around 21.  I can't dig a pellet.  Finally I get one! 

The contest was for nuggets and you had to get 2 large pellets and 3 small ones.  One of our best nugget hunters (Lucky Joe) had finished in 12.5 minutes.  He had also found 5 nuggets in the morning before the hunt.  At the time he finished I didn't even have one.  Others of us kept hunting and hunting (my mind said this was a trick) without getting clear signals.  The next finisher took over an hour and the contest ended at about 2 hours.  I ended up with 7 large pellets and only 1 small one.  Several others never found that many and a couple of good detectorists I know who find more gold than me said their detector could not see the targets on that field.  They quit.

So, I'm left knowing that I can't hear what others are hearing in order to win or find as many targets.  My hearing truly is in trouble.  I woke up this morning knowing I have to set up more test gardens so I don't go insane.  (Insanity:  Keep on doing the same things and expecting different results!)  My technique and hearing result in many missed targets.  There are other variables but that is the bottom line.  My results were poor.  I need more practice.

The good news was in the second contest with fewer detectorists there was just one gold nugget (1.2g) buried in a vial.  The field was smaller but our contest organizer put it in a volcanic hot rock area.  He kept reducing the area where we were hunting so that after 30 minutes we were just about standing on ourselves and I managed to scrape out the vial before anyone else could find it.

That was my only gold of the day.  

Mitchel

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Today I am in a test to eliminate Iron .. also came  with Equinox 800-6 "coil several 0.17 pellets with ID 3 and one 0.22 with ID 4-5 ...

Here is the 1.2g nugget from the contest.

IMG_9629.JPG

• Like 2

Mitch,

Dont say if you got your coil over a nugget you would have heard it!  I found untold nuggets on beat up patches we’ve swung on for years.  This last trip to Rye Patch proves I and other top notch detectorist leave gold behind...no one gets all the gold, there is always one left and another for another day.  It crazy, “Every Day, is a Different Day”. Listen to the dirt, the GPZ is a great machine if you listen to what it’s telling you.  I’ll give you a pointer or two when I see you at the outing!

LuckyLundy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1