Detailed Review Of White's Goldmaster 24K

I wonder if tan is the new look with White’s in their gold detectors? Like someone else said that they don’t do camo and neither do I . But it’s all about what tickles your fancy. Lord knows I haven’t had my fancy tickled in a long time .

Sorry I forgot we talking about metal detectors.

Chuck 

• Haha 1

I think tan is more for their prospecting machines. I definitely prefer tan for desert use. Black not only shows the dirt more but turns the inside of the detector into an oven. As detectors go I think the 24K is an attractive machine. For what it’s worth I ended up selling my Gold Monster and kept the 24K. I can’t swear one is better than the other at finding gold, but I have always preferred detectors with more control options. The 24K has those options, and in my opinion is ergonomically superior to the Gold Monster, with a much better feel on my arm. And it doesn’t fall over! :smile:

• Like 9

Couldn't agree more Steve.....I also owned a Gold Monster, owned it for a couple weeks. Found gold with it but hated it immensely. All the annoying noises it makes drove me mad. The 24K is far superior machine in ergonomics and 'ear appeal' lol

• Like 1

Is there an audio response in the ground scan mode which allows you to track the magnetization without having to watch the mineralization bar on the screen?

On 10/8/2019 at 7:45 AM, GB_Amateur said:

Is there an audio response in the ground scan mode which allows you to track the magnetization without having to watch the mineralization bar on the screen?

Something I will have to play with I guess. I have never found an actual practical use for the Ground Scan Mode or the "Trace the Black Sands" mode on the GMT so off the top of my head I don't have any idea for what the audio does when using this mode. My gut tells me you have to eyeball the screen. From the User Guide:

"Ground Scan is enabled by holding the LOCK button. The display will change to display the ground strength on the top bar, increasing from right to left. Full bars equates to very strong mineralization, and one flashing bar alerts you that no ground information is present.

The two-digit numbers displayed are the ground phase. Solid ferrite will read around 81, alkali will read between 50 and 30, but you may encounter any range of phase numbers depending on the area you are in.

In Ground Scan you can also set a ground offset by using the UP and DOWN arrows. This selection will affect the ground offset in normal search mode whether using XGB or locked settings.

Ground Scan is very useful in prospecting dry washes or creek beds for black sand deposits. One trick you can use is to carry some landscaping flags with you, placing one down where the mineralization is the strongest about every 10 ft. That is where you would want to process material through a sluice or dry washer.

To return back to the regular search mode, tap the LOCK or CROSS HAIRS."

White's Goldmaster 24K XGB Ground Tracking Explained

whites-goldmaster-24k-ground-scan-mode.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On one of the "Gold Trails" episodes, in an auriferous floodplain, Kevin Hoagland used a GMT in the black sand mode to locate and flag several small spots. These spots, totalling several gallons, produced early 2 DWT of fine gold. Similarly, a buddy of mine, doing the same in a Big Bear area wash (Jacoby Canyon) in 45 minutes accumulated 2.5 gallons of 1/8th inch screened dirt, from which over 2 DWT was recovered. It works. But it only works well where surface flooding produces clearly defined paystreaks in auriferous washes. I use a dry wallers trowel to scrape up the thin paystreaks. Hope this helps; HH Jim

• Like 5

• 8 months later...
On 9/10/2018 at 8:29 PM, Steve Herschbach said:

In theory this scale could be used for coin detecting but the coins with few exceptions like a nickel tend to bunch up all on the right. The intent really is to be more of a ferrous/non-ferrous meter but I do think I could make do with this for some general detecting scenarios. In air tests a nickel read 88, zinc penny 95, dime 96, and quarter 97.

Steve, I am interested in trying some detecting in a swimming hole with my gmx.  I have experimented with 20 or so targets and recorded the numerical readings.  Do you have any other ideas on what I can do to make this a more effective effort?

• 1 year later...