One Of My Favorite Finds When Hunting Gold Years Ago

maxxkatt

Those are cool finds.

Dahlonega is a neat area.  I lived there for a little over a year while I was instructor at Camp Merrill.  Lots of mining in the area of both gold and copper from 1828 to the present.  There are four periods of heavy placer mining.  The initial rush, after gold was discovered in California and new techniques were brought back, the Derepression with more modern equipment and the late 1970s/1980s.  I detected quite a bit but only found a lot of junk.  I also dredge all kinds of stuff out of the Etowa and the Yahoola but nothing cool except for a lot of amalgam and a few small nuggets.  Anything that was iron was just a conglomerate of rust and rocks.  

The best was most of the year I didn't need to wear a wet suit, the water was so hot.  

• Like 2

On ‎9‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:10 AM, maxxkatt said:

when my boys were growing up 8 and 15 we spent two years gold hunting in an area around Dalonegha, GA. yes we always found a little gold but my best find was an 1800 hand forged mining pick.

I was using a fisher gold bug and when I swung over the pick it sounded like a buried volkswagen. This is one of my finest finds. In addition my older son found a 400 year old fully intact alt alt point.

The memories of our hunts are more valuable than the gold we found.

1800minerspick.JPG

that is a treasure for sure.