Platinum Ring / Negative #'s

JP.Diggzzit

Hit this deep, 10 gram Platinum ring on the beach recently.  Initial signal was a faint, choppy tone, jumpy 12/13 ID.  After the 1st and 2nd scoops the signal went to negative #'s and gave me the iron tone.  After the 3rd scoop the signal was gone.  I utilized pinpoint mode thereafter and recovered the target after the 5th scoop.  Solid 13 out the hole.  Wet sand was hard packed so I don't believe the target was moving or sinking, no water filled the hole.  Has anyone else experienced an initial good target going to negative #'s/iron readout?  Halo effect on non-ferrous?  Positive this target was at the brink of detection range...14" - 15" inches.  Impressive depth but I will not trust that iron reading/tone if it is mixed with a positive reading/tone going forward. 

I run Beach 2 with no discrimination almost exclusively on the beach.

GL & HH!

Plat_Nox.jpg

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Platinum Ring / Negative #'s

Hi, Nice ring, congrats.?

Signal gone :  I think a lot of beach and soil hunters have have this happen. I can put my hand up.

I think they call it " disturbing the coil inductance"  and sometimes also "the halo effect"

Once a hole is dug in moist ground it upsets the way the detector reads the ground and the target disappears

Basically, as you found - the target is still there and to keep digging deeper

I remember reading a properly explained answer to this recently but I now cant find it...maybe Steve can help ?

Negative numbers & Jumpy numbers (on good non ferrous targets) you often get right at the edge of the detectors depth capability 

Happy swinging ?

• Like 1

Yes, auto ground balance - 0.  I only use tracking on occasion when gridding from drier sand to wet/water.  No discrim./all metal, relatively clean beach w/minimal targets.  Hit three deep lead sinkers before the ring, so I knew the possibility of a deep ring was good.  I have had targets sink and move around in the soupy sand but in this case it was hard packed.

Some people talking about disappearing target on Findmall forum Equinox page

I hope its OK to refer to that and put a link...if not please feel free to delete this Steve ?

Link deleted since Findmall Forum update broke all old links

and another from Gary Draytons site

http://hardcoretreasurehunting.blogspot.com/2015/08/disappearing-signals.html

• Like 1

I get those faint choppy tones in fresh water quite often.  What experience has taught me is that if it initially reads a fairly consistent set of  numbers as yours did this is a must dig.  They may very well be targets that are at the edge of the machines ability to give a non-ferrous TID because of their depth and the act of scooping moves them just enough to fall out of that range.   As others have noted, quite often there are ferrous indications in the tone as well but the numbers usually don't lie.

• Like 1

This happened to me the other night  at the beach. Feint, choppy signal (deep), so started scooping frantically as I was in the wash zone of the beach. Lost the signal at one point, but, using pinpoint, a couple of deep scoops later the target must have moved up in the sand (but not in the scoop, just off to the side) and gave a solid 12 signal. Before I could get the scoop back in, the waves/wash hit and the signal got softer and softer, then disappeared (unfortunately the waves didn't).I couldn't scoop quick enough in the loose, wet sand and lost it. Bugger! What could have been! ?

• Like 1

It was typical of the Excalibur to iron out on the deepest targets while running discrimination, particularly targets with already lowish conductivity or small in size.

Typically offshore targets were located in all metal mode, then some sand would have to be removed to get a good sweep with discrimination.

I don't know what the Platinum should behave like, but having a bit of nulling out on deep targets isn't a huge deal as Minelab multi frequency machines typically hold numbers deeper then any other brand.

I haven't tried a All Metal mode with this machine in the water yet, I assume I'll be using one of the Gold modes. (The horseshoe button probably doesn't increase depth like running a more traditional all-metal mode would)

• Like 1