Platinum Ring / Negative #'s

JP.Diggzzit

On 9/12/2018 at 3:32 PM, JP.Diggzzit said:

Hit this deep, 10 gram Platinum ring on the beach recently.  Initial signal was a faint, choppy tone, jumpy 12/13 ID.  After the 1st and 2nd scoops the signal went to negative #'s and gave me the iron tone.  After the 3rd scoop the signal was gone.  I utilized pinpoint mode thereafter and recovered the target after the 5th scoop.  Solid 13 out the hole.  Wet sand was hard packed so I don't believe the target was moving or sinking, no water filled the hole.  Has anyone else experienced an initial good target going to negative #'s/iron readout?  Halo effect on non-ferrous?  Positive this target was at the brink of detection range...14" - 15" inches.  Impressive depth but I will not trust that iron reading/tone if it is mixed with a positive reading/tone going forward. 

I run Beach 2 with no discrimination almost exclusively on the beach.

GL & HH!

Plat_Nox.jpg

Nice find!

I have ran into what sounds like the same exact occurrence more than once, on at least 3 finds and once where I never ended up finding it.  No rings in these instances though.   Beach 2, all deeper then a foot.  Numbers change as I work my way down.  I keep going till it surfaces.  Once foil, once a tight collection of penny, nickel and tiny copper tube together, another was an oddly colored unknown water smoothed slag (still have to check it).

When I see the numbers change after first digging in I start checking different angles and using the bob action to see if it changes again.  But I still dig it to learn.  I sometimes have felt like I was maybe energizing the soil too much going over it.  Probably nothing to do with it but I'm such a newb that's where my head takes me.    Thanks for posting your story it will serve me well when next time I'm over 12 inches deep and feeling like I might get duped.  It might just be a platinum ring this time!  This thing locates deeep items. Maybe we just need to keep the numbers out of it at that depth and just go on faith.

• Like 3