Expecting 'n' Detecting

Andy2640

Howdy fellow detectorists,

So....After gaining permission on a historic site (yada yada yada) , and especially finding my silver 1400 penny last week, i was finding myself getting a little complacent and unrealistic in my hopes for a days detecting.

And so it transpires...that......Yesterdays detecting was somewhat of a let down, and i found myself walking home rather disappointed.  I told myself that good finds are fairly rare, but still i felt disappointed in spite of my logical and grounded part of my brain saying its all good and to be expected

So i was wondering/pondering on my way home what you guys would consider:

1. A bad days detecting

2. A moderately good day detecting,

3. A good day 

4. And a outstanding days detecting.

I understand that different locations and countries will provide better finds, but hypothetically if you were on a ploughed field, what would your expectations be?

Short of giving myself a good slap, perhaps your expectations of a days detecting will give me a clearer perspective on the matter.

Appreciate any input with thanks!

Andy.

• Like 1

A good day starts if you can get out of bed. But first and above all is when you look around you’re waking up on the green side of the grass .

Then and only then do you know it’s going to be a great day for detecting.

Chuck

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

24 minutes ago, Chase Goldman said:

Any detecting day is a good day.

This.

I was going to add, if I find anything that's not trash then it's been a great day.

• Like 2

I feel your pain, Andy. Living in Indiana, you may have a fantastic day detecting and then a few days (or more) of just digging up iron and garbage. I've felt let-down a number of times since starting this hobby only back in Feb of this year, but I always try to keep the perspective going that "Maybe tomorrow will be the big day". Often that's not the case, but I keep finding interesting things and plenty of clad to keep the hobby fun and interesting ?

For me, just finding a silver coin or even a few wheat pennies can equal an outstanding day. My town has been picked over pretty hard (minus permissions) so it doesn't take much to make me do the happy dance ?

A typical good day for me is finding a good amount of modern change, maybe a few interesting older relics and meeting new people will out detecting.

I don't think I've had "bad" days detecting, just getting fresh air and exercise keeps the feeling of bad away. Moderate for me would be finding less clad change and a lot more iron, aluminum, pull-tabs, bottle-caps and other random rubbish. It happens and I just chalk it up to being part of the hobby. 

Just keep thinking that tomorrow could be the day you find that awesome diamond ring or huge silver coin! That keeps me going ?

-Bill

• Like 2

1. A bad days detecting - Trying to find a spot away from Joe Public, wasting time driving around to find a place with minimal people, only to find I forgot something important, like a metal detector etc.

2. A moderately good day detecting, -  Got out detecting, the few people that are around show little interest in what I am doing. Didn't forget anything.

3. A good day - A bit of silver.

4. And a outstanding days detecting. A gold ring or sometimes two.

• Like 3

You obviously are not a gold prospector. (Not a failing at all mind you) We have a saying that if you don't find any gold you "got the skunk." So for me - aside from Chuck's perfect "a good day starts when you get out of bed." - a good day is when you don't have the skunk visiting you. A good day is when you find some pieces that would not be called flakes or specks, and a great day is almost anything more that. I have had two outstanding days and perhaps that's for another time.

One short saying I have: starting the hunt is the best part of the day because anything is possible.

In the UK you folks seem to have days that I cannot even comprehend. Such beautiful coins and artifacts that they almost defy description. You probably know, but in case you don't, you are in an amazing location that most of us can only dream about.

best...

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Chase Goldman said:

Any detecting day is a good day.

+1 on CG's comment.  

I tend to set my hunt expectations in reverse.  It isn't about what exactly I find first... that is the icing on the detecting cake... sometimes there is a little less icing than other days.  But what I learn about my detector (whichever one I happen to be using that day), and how well I choose to listen to said detector on that day.  And what I learn about the specific location I am hunting (ground conditions, target types, trash ratio etc). Sometimes it ends with a pocket of trash and zincolns. Other times a little silver, rarely, but on occasion some gold.  But as long as I learned something about me, my machine, and the ground... success.  

Tim

• Like 2

Sometimes I like to find where I've ever been and find something new again. Sometimes it's just one coin a day .. foto-Return with Equinox...

september 2018 iphone 5S 022_DxO.jpg

• Like 3

Yep I totally understand that feeling, essentially sometimes we get spoiled beyond what we could even imagine and it becomes our new threshold/ reference point for a “good day” and it can feel like nothing that big is ever coming your way again.

Good news is after a little break (and holding your new treasure on a daily basis) you get reinspired.   I’ve gone a while without properly detecting and I’ve got to the point where I’m so keen for some gold that I’m driving a few hours today to try and get it!

• Like 1