Forgot My Sandscoop!

So I am in Hawaii. Got the trusty Excallibur2. Finding lots of targets and doing well above the water line. BUT I FAILED TO BRING MY SAND SCOOP! I need pinch hit idea`s for a surf digging tool. Suggestions would be a help. Thanks.

Thanks Steve. I need to find some idea that will work in the surf rite at the point the sand and coral meet. Lots of good targets but the wave action is miserable with out a screen of some sort.

On another note I was curious how you could keep the new GPZ under wraps. A bit back you posted a full pic of your avatar. Seems you have been showing the secret for some time . Got a laugh at that.

Hopefully I have some good finds to post............

If you're in a place with no sand scoops available you could try a kitchen/garden supply shop. I bought a huge plastic strainer spoon from a kitchen store that is perfect for digging and waving over a detector. Maybe you could use a flour sieve, a colander, a garden sieve.... you'll have to improvise. Something might be ideal that has nothing to do with beaches or digging! Maybe a poop scoop or a plastic shovel for a cat's litter tray...

• Like 1

Could try an empty jug like a purex jug,cut it off at a 45°angle and use the top 1/2 holding the handle just cut a few holes in it for sand to get out. I use these for scooping floor dry,dogfood, sidewalk deicer,etc.minus the holes of course, good luck,i only detected over there one time it was a blast. Rick.

• Like 1

I saw a guy on utube using a modified plastic snow scoop to pick up targets on the beach. He just walked with the scoop and pulled up sand until the hole was clear of the target, he could also run the dttector over the scoop to check the target or just scann the last pile he scooped from the hole with his detector. The scoop blade is narrowed to make it easier in the sand, holes are drilled in the shovel bucket to filter out water and sand if you want. I also replaced the metal screws holding the blade to the handle with nylon bolts. I bought a nice heavy abs plastic snow scoop at osh for around $25, the blade abs snow shovel blade cut like butter with a skill saw... Just be careful. The guy in the video was able to work very fast picking up targets in both dry and wet sand. I made one but have not used it yet, will try to post pictures.