Any Canadian Detector Prospectors?

Alluminati

16 hours ago, Alluminati said:

The nice thing about Newfoundland is the old relics. The closer you get to the East coast of Canada, the more older stuff there is.

You said exchange so that means you have a Newfie headed your way. I said the French are funny but Newfies are downright hilarious. Better get a translator. ?

Haha yeah I have seen some vids of Newfies talking it is funny. Sadly no we are not getting a student ourselves, one way exchange, not sure who gets the better end of that deal ?

• Like 1

There was a post recently about listening and understanding detectors.

Well, that Da Yammie post above...I tried listening...I can hear it...but for the life of me I can barely understand it ?

Some sort of French/Canadian/Scottish/Irish/Polish mix??  ?

• Like 2

A lot of people on the east coast are of Irish descent.

Wikipedia says that they spoke Irish in Newfoundland up until the early 1900s. I thought that was interesting, but wait a minute, don't the Irish speak English? Online translators appear to think so.

I guess it was more of a Gaelic dialect.

• Like 1

I've been looking around at that GPEX site a bit more, (Canadian Gold Prospectors Forum), I'm still feeling a little under whelmed. There is a lot there to sort through, but nothing particularly interesting. Lot's of blathering about MTO maps, barely a thread makes it past 5 posts.

I literally just came across a thread on the first page that I read 8 years ago.

There are probably a couple of good miners on there, but I'm particularly interested in the metal detector aspect of it.

I think I'll wait here for another Canadian coming along. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Guys

Back in the 40’s I had my ear tune to Sgt. Preston and Yukon King. Oh his horse name was Rex.

What I want to know does that make me a Canadian?

Chuck

PS I never miss that 15 mins. A young blind man and I had our ears stuck to the radio at the same time each day. He could see it and I could too. It was like we were in the middle of the action. That was about 70 years ago and I still remember his name .

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John-Edmonton said:

I live in Edmonton, Alberta. Been metal detecting for years.....I dabbled in prospecting over 20 years ago and got the bug this year. I am running a highbanker in the North Saskatchewan River, which flows through Edmonton. Only flour gold present. I am spoiled! A 5 minute drive, and I can set up my equipment and dig. No claims, no dredging but 5 year ($50.00) mining licence required. I enjoy the many surprises coming out of the river.....petrified wood, petrified dino. bones and the odd relic or coin. The exercise and fresh air are the other rewards. Below are my most recent finds from last week. We got an early snow, but went out anyway! Below is a pic......the ring I found metal detecting (14.2grams.)

septg.jpg

ns1.jpg

Welcome to the forum John. Be nice to get more action on the Garrett forum here so I hope you hang around. That’s one nice chunk of gold!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ridge Runner said:

Hey Guys

Back in the 40’s I had my ear tune to Sgt. Preston and Yukon King. Oh his horse name was Rex.

What I want to know does that make me a Canadian?

Chuck

PS I never miss that 15 mins. A young blind man and I had our ears stuck to the radio at the same time each day. He could see it and I could too. It was like we were in the middle of the action. That was about 70 years ago and I still remember his name .

Ridge Runner, I am old enough to also remember Sgt. Preston on the radio. I was very young and remember waiting very impatiently for the next episode.

Back in those days, before television, the radio was the high point of the day for family entertainment. Right after supper everyone gathered around the radio to listen, imaginations could run wild and the stories could very easily be visualized.

• Like 3