Any Canadian Detector Prospectors?

Alluminati

Anyone detecting on the Canadian side of the border.

I would love to hear about it, I'm not looking for locations specifically, I get that just wondering about the plausibility and your successes stories and failures.

For example they did a show here a few years back, I think it was called Devils Canyon. Anyhow they dropped these contestants off in the woods for a month to find some gold. So some of these characters did find a bit of gold, decent gold, that is neither here nor there, what struck me is I am pretty sure I could have found more gold then they did if I had metal detector at those sites.

I'm in Ontario so I kinda have to do my research online as much as possible. Our gold is essentially locked up in hard rock. We have a the odd river a few hours north that could potentially yield a bit of flour with a pan, but that doesn't really interest me at this point,  I can find a lot more weight in gold alloys locally.

The plan is to get my old man out there in a RV for a bit of prospecting. He has always wanted to take a prospecting trip somewhere, but frankly I don't really want to leave the country to do it (Unless I KNEW I was getting gold lol) and his health isn't the best so if we could just drive a RV out there to have all the comforts and amenities I think it would be doable.

• Like 2

Looks like lots of Australians, even a few New Zealanders, but Canadians are a rare sight here. They do have a great forum - the Canadian Gold Prospectors Forum 

I have driven through British Columbia and the Yukon Territory plenty of times, right through gold country, but have not a flake of Canadian gold to my name.

• Sad 1

I spent 4 days in Dawson past August just wandering about the "scene" and soaking it all in. Man what a place and so different. Beautiful country, nice friendly people and the mining history was just amazing! The tailing piles from over 100 years of mining just seem to go on forever  far as the eye can see. This place is just begging for a detector to be swing through.   I was told most of these claims have been in the family passed down for generations. The mining season is short up there so maximizing profits means moving lots of material, not so much time to mess with detectors (I was told). If I lived in Canada I would consider checking it out for a couple weeks. I was also told claim jumping is taken seriously around the Klondike so permission is a must. Oh and met Tony Beets in town one night, he frequents Diamond Tooth Gertie's Place.  Just as much a character in person .....for sure!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Looks like lots of Australians, even a few New Zealanders, but Canadians are a rare sight here. They do have a great forum - the Canadian Gold Prospectors Forum 

I have driven through British Columbia and the Yukon Territory plenty of times, right through gold country, but have not a flake of Canadian gold to my name.

Thanks for the link, I knda forgot about GPEX.

I suppose that the geology is so similar, I can still gain some insight by reading the threads here. 

5 hours ago, Hard Prospector said:

I spent 4 days in Dawson past August just wandering about the "scene" and soaking it all in. Man what a place and so different. Beautiful country, nice friendly people and the mining history was just amazing! The tailing piles from over 100 years of mining just seem to go on forever  far as the eye can see. This place is just begging for a detector to be swing through.   I was told most of these claims have been in the family passed down for generations. The mining season is short up there so maximizing profits means moving lots of material, not so much time to mess with detectors (I was told). If I lived in Canada I would consider checking it out for a couple weeks. I was also told claim jumping is taken seriously around the Klondike so permission is a must. Oh and met Tony Beets in town one night, he frequents Diamond Tooth Gertie's Place.  Just as much a character in person .....for sure!

I just know those tailings piles hold potato gold.

Dawson is a good suggestion, I guess it would be nice to have some spots tourist spots to visit as well. I'd like to check out a steamship too.

I can do the claimsmap online from here, but it will be a bit like throwing darts until I can narrow down some area that might be worth staking a or even buying a claim.

Thanks for the suggestions.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Steve Herschbach said:

Looks like lots of Australians, even a few New Zealanders

Blasted Anzacs everywhere -  :wink:

While in the bar one night I meet some local placer miners who invited me out to their claim to have a look around and see their operation on Gold Bottom Creek. Of course it was all big machinery and so fourth and they said I was welcome to pan or sluice if I wanted too while there. I have no doubt if I had brought my detector they would have said go for it. It was interesting to note that many miners up there still use steel gold pans and many were French Canadian.

• Like 1

That would be awesome. Those frenchman can be pretty fun dudes to work with.

Its funny you mention that because I have always wanted to go into one of those mines and detect the bedrock before reclamation. I envisioned bring along a little side by side vehicle to carry a small pump, vacuum brooms etc. Seems to me there could potentially be some pretty good gold that the excavators just cant pick up from the surface and in the cracks.

The nice thing about Newfoundland is the old relics. The closer you get to the East coast of Canada, the more older stuff there is.

You said exchange so that means you have a Newfie headed your way. I said the French are funny but Newfies are downright hilarious. Better get a translator. ?

• Like 2