Reverse Hunting, Pinpoint Hunting At The Beach

scoopjohnb

Getting geared up for my beach hunting season. Not the usual sunny day morning clad hunts.

I like to go behind big winter tides, preferably with a hefty sea ripping into the beach giving me some cuts to work.

Pretty use to the Excal running in pinpoint mode and my SDC hunting with a SAT. Trying to figure out how I can fool a NOX 800 into thinking its an Excal.

The Nox 800 has allready given me some gold in Beach 1 and pretty basic settings, just curious if I can really get her to Hunt in pinpoint mode with a SAT.

I can't see any advantage in running the Nox in PP mode - respectively I think it's not possible, because of the "ratcheting" it does. It'll get less sensitive, the more / stronger target's you cross.

I've often done that with my Fisher and concentric coil on difficult spots (beach chairs with metal surroundings f.e.) to find coins in extreme proximity to other metal objects. That worked out pretty good, but the Nox is a whole different beast in PP mode imho:happy:

3 hours ago, Sinclair said:

I can't see any advantage in running the Nox in PP mode - respectively I think it's not possible, because of the "ratcheting" it does. It'll get less sensitive, the more / stronger target's you cross.

I've often done that with my Fisher and concentric coil on difficult spots (beach chairs with metal surroundings f.e.) to find coins in extreme proximity to other metal objects. That worked out pretty good, but the Nox is a whole different beast in PP mode imho:happy:

My limited time tells me the PP mode on the Nox is worthless. Both for pin pointing and hunting, there is no reason to switch out of detecting mode to pin point as detecting mode gives a nice narrow signal..This comes from 25 years on the Sovereign.

There has been talk that all metal mode gives great signals however you will be looking at your screen for numbers more. Report back.  Dave

I’ve been running in all metal, the horseshoe thingy on the Nox. At the beach there are all sorts of goodies lurking in the iron range.

Just curious if she could run like the All Metal in an Excal and still use the frequency range in multi. It appears to hit hard on just about anything ?

Been fiddling in the basement with Noxy.

I desperatly want to hear the ground at the beach and have high hopes for the GOLD 1 program.

Way too much reading of the manual!

Select Gold 1, a comfortable threshold pitch, drop the sens way down.

Think of the reactivity setting as a SAT speed, I set it at 8. Cranking up to 1 seems to hold on to the target much longer.

Ground tracking on. Switching between locked and tracking couldn’t be easier.

And hey presto, fishhooks give me that butter smooth double blip. Raise the coil and that slight rise in the threshold tells me somethings there, but out of reach of the ID circuit.

Hitting the horseshoe trips disc in and out. Just what the doctor ordered.

Of to the beach we go!

• Like 2

What is actually wet salt sand. We’ve got about 400 meters of tide and 6 hours from flood to eb. My trick is starting hunting the upper tide line, preferably a cut when the tide is out.

So the sand has had 6 hours to drain it’s wet salt water. It’s still damp but not saturated.

That gives me about 5 hours detecting time.

Just trying guys, just trying. Because Beach 1 on basic settings allready brings home the yellow. Just trying to get the audio the way I like it.

First time I switched gold mode on at the beach it went ballistic. It deemed to me then that it needed to be tamed.

Anyway, I’ll report back positive or other. Haven’t touched a detector in 6 months. Fishing with a Capital F ?

• Like 1

I can report a bit of progress, in the basement at least.

So I compared Gold 2 with Park 2. I had to reduce the sens a bit inside. Park 2 was set to a 4 recovery speed to match Gold 2. Most of the other settings are the same I think. (Global)

There was a big difference, I could easily swing over a silver dime in Park 2, raise the coil until the target disappeared, then switched into Gold 2 and the target and heard the targets again. A pretty good response too, easy to replicate.

I'll admit I don't see why you can't use the Gold modes in the salt water if they multi frequency like the beach mode, as you say you may have to tame it a bit to somewhat emulate the Beach modes.

So now I just got to set it up so I can switch between the two modes easy. Otherwise I think this is what we are after, that "All-metal" analog type audio for locating extra targets in the deep sand. If it throws up a good TID number, that will be a bonus.