TDI Beach Hunter....... It's Alive !!

Tony

Well I sat down and re-visited the 4 x 18650 batteries for the TDI Beach Hunter and managedĀ  a successful battery boost.....It's a snug fit but went in better than expected.

Now someone probably has another version but here is my Ghetto version !

I needed to remove most of the White's battery holder to reduce the overall height otherwise the 18650 holder would sit on the floor of the White's holder. All that's really needed is the end part to make the electrical contact.

The two outer batteries are quite secure inside the detector as they snug up against the battery compartment housing.

1. Cut down AA White's battery holder
2. Trimmed down 18650 battery holder
3. Removal of two small plastic tabs from the "roof" of the detector's battery compartment (easy and very neat)
4. Bit of hot glue to bring the two holders together but doesn't need to be super strong.
5. Soldering of 18650 leads to contacts on the White's battery holder

And for the record.........the depth increase on my gold ring is a solid 1.5" to 2" over the standard 12v pack. Range has jumped from 14" to 16" with GB off and everything else at max.

IMG_20180914_112519498_HDR.jpg

IMG_20180914_112448352.jpg

IMG_20180914_122227653.jpg

IMG_20180914_121413232_HDR.jpg

• Like 4

I am still "wowed" by the rock solid threshold with GB Off....but it is sensitive enough to let you hear "microscopic" changes when something really deep is there.......?

For the record.......the small plastic tabs that need to be removed from inside the battery compartment lie where the back end of the two outer batteries sit.

Tony.

2 hours ago, Tony said:

.?

For the record.......the small plastic tabs that need to be removed from inside the battery compartment lie where the back end of the two outer batteries sit.

Tony.

Hi Tony, my dreams about powering up my TDI BH by 6x18650 were broken by these "plastic tabs".

Meanwhile I was waiting for the BH, got the job almost finished just using the SL:

IMG_20180911_134356_575.jpg

IMG_20180911_134356_576.jpg

IMG_20180911_134356_577.jpg

subir imagenes gratis

.my future plans areĀ  try to please non-removable battery and charge it through the socket covered by inox bolt:

20180913_142643.jpg

56 minutes ago, pjrough said:

Hi Tony, my dreams about powering up my TDI BH by 6x18650

You're putting six of these in series?Ā  Unless I'm mistaken this would be 6 x 3.7V = 22.2 V nominal, and probably as much as 24 V when fully charged.Ā  Pretty sure White's (e.g. Tom B. here on this sight, but also I've read elsewhere) warn about using more than 18V or so when powering the TDI.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pjrough said:

Hi Tony, my dreams about powering up my TDI BH by 6x18650 were broken by these "plastic tabs".

Meanwhile I was waiting for the BH, got the job almost finished just using the SL:

IMG_20180911_134356_575.jpg

IMG_20180911_134356_576.jpg

IMG_20180911_134356_577.jpg

subir imagenes gratis

.my future plans areĀ  try to please non-removable battery and charge it through the socket covered by inox bolt:

20180913_142643.jpg

Is this designed to be an external battery pack because I can't figure out how that will fit inside the TDIBH battery compartment ?

Tony

I donā€™t see the gain of maybe 2 inches is worth of putting a new detector in harms way.

Ā On a beach with the waves coming in youā€™re going to be hard press to dig a hole 16 inches deep to recover your target.

Iā€™ve done the same to my SPP but itā€™s out of warranty and if I wanted to sell it, it would come to the point of having to pay then to take it.

Iā€™ve learned long ago sometimes it best to let a sleeping dog lie .

I wish you all the best but I think it would serve you better to be spending the time detecting.

Chuck

7 hours ago, GB_Amateur said:

You're putting six of these in series?Ā  Unless I'm mistaken this would be 6 x 3.7V = 22.2 V nominal, and probably as much as 24 V when fully charged.Ā  Pretty sure White's (e.g. Tom B. here on this sight, but also I've read elsewhere) warn about using more than 18V or so when powering the TDI.

Ā 

6 hours ago, Tony said:

I am guessing not all in series....maybe a 4 series and two parallel.....AKA....... 4S2P......?

I thought to put 3S2P pack. 12.6 V and 5000 mah roughly ...

6 hours ago, Tony said:

Is this designed to be an external battery pack because I can't figure out how that will fit inside the TDIBH battery compartment ?

Tony

DonĀ“t want to modify the internal battery compartment neither to get the external pack.Ā 

I always detect in the water (wading, snorkeling, diving). yesterday took my TDI BH for the first time at the beach and was shocked by its positive buoyancy, therefore just will try to pack as much as possible 18650 inside it. The compartment is huge, will try to use all available space.Ā 

Hopefully I will get neutral or negativeĀ buoyancy.

... I mean donĀ“t plan to use any battery holder, just made a soldered, not removableĀ battery pack. As I said, plan is to charge it using external waterproofed connector.Ā 

By the way I have nearly finished my waterproofed TDI SL when I saw that TDI BH is on the market.

37914296_2299593990057451_72214123992181

Ā 

38162668_288498811704706_224837274761061

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 4

Nice workmanship on all your homemade parts.Ā  White's should hire you.Ā  ?

Since you need the extra weight to avoid buoancy can you add even more batteries?

Some good information here....I used to run the Beach Hunter 300 so I am used to the positive buoyancy.

I use an "S" shaft when in the water as I find it easier to leverage more downward force if needed.

On the beach itself, I will carry a spare battery pack (sealed in ziplock bag) but in the water, the 4 x 18650 (3300mah measured) should give me 6-7 hours run time.

.............now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the beach !

Tony

Ā