TDI Beach Hunter....... It's Alive !!

Tony

Just got back from the beach....in one word.........awesome. Some observations;

It is the deepest detector I have ever used on the beach (in the past 25 years) by running the higher voltage pack.

It is the first time I have ever detected (with any detector, including the Minelab PI's) my gold wedding ring at a measured/buried 18" deep.

The US nickel can be heard at 16" in buried wet sand...but with GB OFF. With GB ON it drops to 12"-13" !

My machine is much deeper with GB OFF across all targets.....the rock solid threshold with GB OFF is unbelievable with no loss of sensitivity.

Even with the coil swept through shallow salt water at max gain and 10us......it is so smooth. I don't know how White's have done it....maybe a new batch of the latest flux capacitors......

I tried with GB on but in clean white sand, there was no perfect GB....it was close but just a slight positive signal as the coil was lowered to the ground...but the depth loss was significant with GB on and slight falsing with higher GAIN. None of this is a problem with GB OFF.

Tony

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ok, that's what I was expecting: 8 X 18650 fits to the battery compartment.

Thus looks I will solder 4s2p battery pack. 

Don't know for the moment how I will hook up the wires to power up the metal detector. Possibly just will make a thin adapter for the standard contactor pins.

Not sure if I will power up the TDI with 16.8v, but maybe will use a sort of step down converter or a simple diod to bring the voltage a little bit down.....

I am currently monitoring the run time on my 4 x 18650 pack. If I can get around 6-7 hours before the overall pack drops below 12v then I am happy. The Panasonic 18650 cells have the inbuilt low voltage cutoff at 2.5v per cell or 10v overall but I plan to build in more safety margin.....more details soon.

Back to your last post.....I was trying to work out how to connect directly to the detector's contact pins but it is not easy. One way is to try different size female spade connectors (or similar) and with very long thin nosed pliars, reach down and gently push the (pre-wired +-) connectors on...........fiddly but workable with the right tool.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2018 at 2:11 AM, pjrough said:

Ok, that's what I was expecting: 8 X 18650 fits to the battery compartment.

Thus looks I will solder 4s2p battery pack. 

Don't know for the moment how I will hook up the wires to power up the metal detector. Possibly just will make a thin adapter for the standard contactor pins.

Not sure if I will power up the TDI with 16.8v, but maybe will use a sort of step down converter or a simple diod to bring the voltage a little bit down.....

8 x 18650 can fit but very difficult with the balancing wires or BMS fitted.

I am happy with the 4S1P setup......7 hours run time at the higher voltage. Easy enough to swap out fresh batteries on the beach and away from the water.

TDI platform is safe at 16.8v.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Tony said:

If you ever want to make and sell some of those 3D end pieces, I'd be interested.

Nice work,

Tony

Hi Tony,

Can email the STL file, so you can 3d print it in your city....

... And yes, it' quite tricky to fit 8 X 18650. Dropped this idea for the moment, as 6x pack has already huge capacity

• Like 1

I am also looking at the Sanyo 20700's in a 4S1P setup. These are rated at 4250mah and of course you get the 14.8v nominal. I need to check the clearance with the 20mm height and 70mm width but I think it's possible. Have the BMS fitted to the pack as there is now room. More details soon !

Tony

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I have this coming in the mail for my TDI Beach hunter.  Has anyone used this before?  I have 3 Panasonic NCR18650B 3400 mAh 3.7V Lithium Ion batteries coming for it.  Just curious how much hours I'll get from this? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Li-ion-battery-3-7v-18650-holder-for-Whites-Metal-Detector/283434218401?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

s-l500.jpg

• Like 1