Sign in to follow this  
Tnsharpshooter

Looks To Be New XP Detector Called Orx

http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/blog-detection/nouveautes/nouveau-detecteur-orx/

I am unsure of how this detector will be available as far as which countries.

• Like 1

Hmmm... new lower price Deus? Hard to see what the differences are. HF versions only and gold emphasis? Very possibly the Depar DPR 600 finally available outside Africa. Looks like same basic features and pricing.

Here is the english link... http://www.xpmetaldetectors.com/blog-detection/en/news/announcing-the-orx-from-xp/

ORX Key features:

• HF coil technology (21 Frequencies ranging from 13 to 81kHz).
  • 4 factory programs : Gold Prospecting (x2) – Coins and Relic (x2) + 2 user modes.
  • Trusted XP fast wireless technology: Coil – Remote – Headphones.
  • The all new “WS Audio®” compact wireless headphone receiver.
  • Re designed ultra-light Telescopic “S” stem.
  • Still the lightest at only 765grs (with remote hip mounted).
  • Easy to operate with a user-friendly menu.
  • Wireless connectivity to the MI-6 pinpointer.
  • Lithium battery, giving up to 23 hours of battery life.
  • Available with a choice of HF coils 22cm or 24/13cm elliptical.
  • Compatible with the X35 coil range (22, 28, 34/28cm).
  • 5 year warranty.
  • Made in France.
  • Suggested retail price: 700€ (wired headphone) – 800€ (wireless headphone).

xp-orx-gold-prospecting-metal-detector.jpg
XP ORX metal detectors

• Like 3

Yes, I am 99% convinced that the XP ORX is a version of the Depar DPR 600 made for sales outside Africa. I am kind of liking the fact it has been debugged in Africa for almost two years which means this should be a highly refined version. With the old LF versions of the Deus being retired in September and replaced by the X35 coil versions this makes a lot of sense. The new lineup would consist of three X35 coil versions and these two HF versions.

Here is the Depar DPR 600 manual for more clues

xp-orx-metal-detector.jpg

• Like 1

OK, so.... this to me seems interesting, 21 frequencies up to 81khz, so this in theory could be better than a Gold Bug 2 for tiny flakes other than only having larger size coils but be versatile by changing down to lower frequencies.

I would have thought the larger coils would be the let down with small gold but that rule seems broken, the Equinox has proven otherwise with the 11", so has the GPZ detecting way smaller gold than you'd expect from a 13x14".  I see it can even use the x35 coils.

Geez, you could almost swing a new high frequency VLF every day of the week with so many hitting the market.

If this turns out to be the latest and greatest there is an XP dealer in NZ ?

21 frequencies is marketing BS. The search coils three base frequencies are 14 kHz - 30 kHz and 59 kHz for the 22.5cm (9”) Round DD coil. The elliptical DD coil has a slightly different base frequency set of 14 kHz - 30 kHz and 81 kHz. Each coil has a further 7 higher or lower sub frequencies to choose from which is where they get the 21 frequencies, but those are just offsets to allow electrical interference to be alleviated.

I think this is a great development but this is not something new - the Deus HF coils have been out for some time now and used by various parties on this forum. The only thing new about the ORX is the lower price and more limited feature set as compared to the XP Deus.

My Review of XP Deus HF Elliptical Coil

• Like 1

ahhh thanks for clearing that up Steve, so my T2 is a 7 Frequency machine then, may as well call it a multi frequency machine ?

Pretty poor form of them to do marketing like that.

They had me! 

They all do it in various ways. Minelab used to make a big deal out of the transmitted frequencies when it is frequencies received and processed that count. Nokta calls the Impact multifrequency despite everyone else in the industry defining it differently than they do. Whatever, just let that stuff roll on by.

Once you figure out that single frequency technology maxed out over 20 years ago you start getting a lot less excited when new versions come out. They mix and match the features different ways and the real advances are in less weight and target separation. But when it comes to single frequency as regards depth and tiny gold nothing has really changed since the 50 khz White's Goldmaster II came out around 1990. I can grab one of those and go head to head with the latest and greatest single frequency gold nugget detectors and not feel left behind.

I am not sure now if I had to choose whether I would prefer these new high frequency detector options over the new X35 coils. The X35 coils max out at 30 khz which is plenty high enough really and they go to lower frequencies (4 kHz versus 14 kHz) than the HF coils.

• Like 2

In my opinion (fwiw ? ), at this moment in time, it's only a matter of if you want/prefer to use a single frequency detector or a multiple frequencies (multiple at the same time) detector.

And the Equinox even gives you both options. 

You can only swing one detector at a time.

...Forgot: But this new XP Orx looks great!!! ?

Yeah, that's why I just added my last remark. ?

• Haha 2

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Steve Herschbach
      The Dankowski forum has been having display issues for some time now. That was bad enough, but now they apparently did not renew the domain name in time. The site is offline and last I tried I got redirected to some virus scamming site. Hopefully Tom did not lose the domain name entirely. Anyway, be careful going there right now. I’m not even posting a link due to what happened to me.
    • By Tnsharpshooter
      Here.  https://tarsacci.com/

Tarsacci MDT-8000 metal detector
    • By Steve Herschbach
      OK, let's talk XP ORX. This is an offshoot of the XP DEUS that is set up more specifically for gold prospectors, though it does still retain some basic coin, jewelry, and relic features. Everything nugget hunting has been moved front and center, with other features pushed to the background. The XP Orx features the two new high frequency (HF) coils as one of the two options at time of purchase - either the 9.5" x 5" HF coil or 9" round HF coil. The new X35 coils offer three lower frequency coil options compatible with the Orx. The older black low frequency (LF) coils are not compatible with the Orx.

XP ORX metal detector for gold prospecting and more
      The Orx like the Deus is a selectable frequency detector. You can choose from one of several frequencies depending on the coil you are using. The frequency is dependent on the coil. The ORX high frequency coils give you a choice of three operating frequencies which cover most detection needs. The optional X35 coils have five frequency options. All primary frequencies have numerous offsets available to help alleviate electrical interference, but these shifts are so small as to make no performance difference. Ignore the statements about 21 frequencies and 35 frequencies as marketing games. The round 9’’ coil runs at 15 kHz, 30 kHz and 50 kHz. The elliptical coil has a higher top end frequency 15 kHz, 30 kHz and 80 kHz. The optional X35 coils run at a lower range of 4 kHz, 8 kHz, 12 kHz, 17 kHz and 25 kHz.

XP ORX coil options and specifications
      For those familiar with the XP Deus there are some key differences. The rod / shaft assembly has been remade out of injection molded plastic, eliminating the aluminum and rubber grip. This both lowers the cost of the rod assembly as one of the more expensive parts of the Orx to manufacture plus reduces the weight even more. The Deus is the lightest high end detector made and this shaves even more grams. The Orx rod and coil only weighs 770 grams or 1.7 lbs if you put the controller in your pocket.
      Another big difference is in the wireless headphones. All controls have been removed except power and volume. This means that unlike the Deus you must have the controller with you if you want to make any tuning changes at all. Other wireless headphones options are not listed in the accessory list in the ORX User Guide (see image at bottom of this post) and so I can only conclude that the other XP wireless headphone options are not compatible with the Orx.
      I have used the Deus HF elliptical coil and there is no reason to think the performance of this coil is any different using the Orx controller instead of the Deus controller. The coil itself is the detector after all and the coils are the same whether used on a Deus or an Orx. The only difference is in how the functionality is accessed and what features are available.
      The Orx controller as has been noted earlier is set up for gold prospectors first and foremost. Click images for larger versions....

XP Orx controller and basic functions

XP Orx basic screen functions displayed
      The Orx does not display target id information until a target is found. Then a pop-up screen appears, showing the target id number and a variable "iron probability" meter.

XP ORX target id and iron probability meter
      The long story short is I have used the XP Deus with elliptical high frequency coil and I believe performance here will be identical. And as far as I am concerned the Deus HF coils are right up there with the best high frequency gold prospecting options out there. I am not a hair splitter, so from my perspective there are quite a few good detectors in this category. Rather than try and determine what finds gold better than the others I tend to focus more on big picture aspects to determine the machine I prefer over others. Things like weight or how waterproof a detector is can sort things out fast, and personal preference issues like feel on arm and how the audio sounds make a big difference to me.
      This is just my opinion but the appeal of the XP Orx is the very lightweight and very compact design. There is no other option as light on the arm except perhaps the for the Fisher Gold Bug 2 if you hip mount the control box. Then you are attached to the rod assembly by the coil cable. Not a huge deal, but the Orx being wireless gets rid of the possibility of that cable hanging up in brush.
      On the other hand the Orx is priced a little high compared to the other gold prospecting competition. This is not a problem per se as long as you get all the features you need or want. However, if it was I and I wanted to make this detector to compete as a gold prospector I would have made sure the Orx could lay claim to being at least as good at gold prospecting as the Deus and it would be best if the Orx actually could be said to be the better gold prospecting option compared to the Deus at least.
      Yet when you dig in it seems XP limited not just the coin hunting features but also some prospecting features. The big standout is no ground tracking on the Orx. Now I am not a huge fan of ground tracking but when you need it you tend to really need it, and for XP to leave tracking off the Orx when it is included on the Deus seems like a particularly poor choice since this is a detector intended for dealing with extreme ground conditions. Tracking comes at a cost normally, but it can be a huge aid in highly variable ground. I can live without it, but given the cost of the Orx as compared to the competition this feature should be included.
      The other items I am not sure of is ferrous handling. The ferrous tone break appears to be preset and not adjustable on the Orx though you can change the pitch of the ferrous tone. Instead of an adjustable tone break XP appears to be relying more on the iron probability meter for making decisions regarding whether to dig ferrous or not. I may be missing something but I don't think at this time that you get to choose where the dividing line is on what reports audibly as ferrous and what reports audibly as non-ferrous. Consider the jury out here on this question until more information is found. Most people don't care about it anyway, and it may that the Orx reliance on adjusting the IAR (Iron Amplitude Rejection) serves well enough that adjusting the breakpoint is not required.
      I am not really making any determinations here but I am just trying to lay out some details in hope it will help people make their own decisions. I have plenty of detectors that will detect small gold as well as the Deus or Orx so for me personally the thing that keeps me coming back to the XP machines is the crazy compact and lightweight design. Yet in looking over the features and price I personally lean more towards the Deus instead of the Orx. It seems to me XP is being stingy with features given the price and for just a little more money a Deus can eliminate questions about whether those features would be missed or not. If I had to buy right now I would be more inclined to get a Deus with 9" X35 coil. The top end frequency there of 27 kHz should do just fine on small gold and I would get features missing in the Orx. If I really needed extra high frequency hots I could add a high frequency coil as an option later.
      More to the point, XP is saying this is a lower price option to the Deus. Technically that is true of most Deus models, but as of V5 XP has added enough capability to the WS4 module that the $799 Deus Starter Package actually offers the Orx competition at an even lower price. In that regard XP sort of shot themselves in the foot by upgrading the WS4.
      Anyway, that's just a few thoughts from me on the Orx versus the Deus. I won't even attempt to get into the Orx versus all the competition other than to offer this chart below giving a big picture comparison. Given that the Orx is aimed at gold prospectors, and given how there is almost no mention of the detector on the prospecting forums I am very curious to hear people's thoughts on this model. Is XP doing the right thing here for prospectors? Or is it a swing and miss? Opinions?
      XP ORX Information Page
      XP ORX User Guide
      Over 30 khz (LF) gold prospecting metal detectors 1/2019

• By Steve Herschbach
      Happy New Year!
      It has been a couple years of furious activity in a normally slow moving industry. We are in a Golden Age of detector hardware, with intense competition driving prices lower while fostering innovative new designs. Most of the action has been from manufacturers outside the U.S. - will 2019 be the year U.S. manufacturers strike back?
      It will be interesting but rumors are thin on the ground right now. New models appearing are niche models, like the new XP ORX, aimed at the gold prospectors. A new manufacturer has appeared, Tarsacci, with the new MDT 8000 that initially anyway seems to be aimed at beach hunters.
      The machine I most have my eye on is the upcoming Fisher Impulse AQ. I am satisfied with what VLF technology exists now, so all I need is a PI detector at least as powerful as a Garrett ATX in a housing weighing under 5 lbs. I sold my ATX and currently do not have a PI and am waiting on what Fisher has to show before deciding what to do about that. F75 replacement? I will believe it when I see it but the Aqua Manta is all but assured for 2019.
      I lobbied Garrett for years to make a LTX (Lightweight ATX) but to no avail. However, with the new AT Max just out it does make me wonder what Garrett has up their sleeve for 2019. If not a replacement for the embarrassingly long in the tooth GTI 2500 than perhaps my wished for lightweight ATX? A guy can hope but I am not holding my breath. Garrett has pushed single frequency as far as they can so their next step will be revealing.
      Minelab is still consolidating the Equinox rollout and a raft full of new gold machines in the last few years. They seem well set at the moment. I wish I could get a SDC 2300 in a Eureka Gold box but that is one wish I doubt will be granted.
      Nokta/Makro? They have long been known to be working on a PI detector so maybe the new Fisher Impulse AQ will have a competitor? It is almost 100% that Nokta/Makro will release a true multifrequency detector in 2019 so there will be that to look for. That and the soon to be released Nokta/Makro Simplex, a new low cost multipurpose detector.
      Tarsacci MDT 8000? I will let the beach and relic hunters sort that out.
      Tesoro is gone now so we can officially ignore them without feeling guilty about it.
      White's I will continue to hope beyond hope that a working version of the Half Sine Technology may finally appear. Fingers crossed as always, but the odds are low. One does get the sense that White's really does need to hit a home run however so the pressure is on to get it out the door. This could short circuit other developments above were it to actually happen. I’m not holding my breath however.
      XP just started shipping the new X35 coils and ORX model, so 2019 may be a quiet one for them.
      And with that, best wishes for a great 2019 to one and all!!

• By Steve Herschbach
      Rick Kempf passed this to me and it does not look like good news. It is being reported most of the people at Tesoro have been laid off.
      http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/tesoro/589971-tesoro-laid-off-all-factory-staff.html
      Tesoro was not a real old company, since it was founded in 1980, actually making it the newest of the major U.S. manufacturers. Still, the company made its mark with lightweight, high performance detectors. Tesoro was also noted for many years for its exceptional support of the independent metal detector dealer. However, that policy changed after founder Jack Gifford passed away in 2015 and the company seems to have been on cruise control ever since.
      There are probably not too many people surprised by this, but if true it marks a sad day in metal detecting history.

• By Shelton
      Nokta Anfibio Multi Waterproof Metal Detector

More information on Nokta Anfibio