With The 11" Coil In Iron You Really Don't Know...

Jackpine

I'm on a high recovery rate, it's 6 better to figure out the size of the subject ... like the recovery speed 4 ... here's the signal longer and it's more compact-less readable ... for me, sometimes I switch to 5khz-a more iron signal ... ID is also run-less firmly ... Equinox has a feature with a optic overload indicator in only one program on Beach2 - and there is a TX execution ..- I try to do it in the - user profile program and compare it ..

Phrunt --

Here's one thing that might help a bit... I can say that using pinpoint mode helps quite a bit, at least for me.  Listening closely to the "length" of the pinpoint signal really helps me out with sizing. 

It's ironic; in my opinion you often don't NEED to go to pinpoint mode on the EQX for the specific purpose pinpointing; it is (to me) easy to "pinpoint" targets without using pinpoint mode, as I find the EQX to be so "accurate" so as to render pinpoint mode unnecessary on many targets.  BUT -- USING pinpoint mode offers some other "clues" that I find very helpful, and thus -- I DO use pinpoint mode on many, many targets.  One thing that helps for me, is the modulation of the audio is better in pinpoint mode; thus, it helps me get more information about depth of the target.  And then, there's the sizing advantage I mentioned; for me, pinpoint definitely is another tool to help with "sizing" the target -- which helps to allow me not to dig certain large targets that I'm not interested in.

Steve

• Like 3

1 hour ago, phrunt said:

My biggest issue is not knowing how big an object is under the Equinox, I can easily mistake a full drink can for a small coin, target ID's the same (21-22 for cans, same for our gold coins), signal feels the same, I have no idea how to tell the difference.... with my T2 I could easily tell how big something is, and if it was huge like a coke can I would get a coil overload so I knew not to bother, it's not the coin I was hoping for, it's huge.

I try lifting the coil up higher above the ground in the air to check if its a can but a shallow coin can give me the same sort of air level as a can deeper does, so that doesn't really work....

Am I doing something wrong, is there a way I can work out what's a can and what's a coin?  I haven't found the depth meter all that reliable sorting this out and I've dug 6 cans now... what on earth full cans are doing underground I don't know and they're almost always beer cans ? ....

The only thing that is possibly setting them apart from coins is the sound is sometimes choppy, not sharp like a coin, but then I worry its a coin on edge or deeper where harder to get a good signal or surrounded by iron or something...... 

2 minutes ago, steveg said:

Phrunt --

Here's one thing that might help a bit... I can say that using pinpoint ode helps a ton, at least for me.  Listening closely to the "length" of the pinpoint signal really helps, for me.  It's ironic; in my opinion you don't NEED to go to pinpoint mode, with the EQX for the specific purpose pinpointing; it is (to me) easy to "pinpoint" targets without using pinpoint mode, as I find the EQX to be so "accurate" so as to render pinpoint mode unnecessary on many targets.  BUT -- USING pinpoint mode offers some other "clues" that I find very helpful, and thus -- I DO use pinpoint mode on many, many targets.  One thing that helps for me, is the modulation of the audio is better in pinpoint mode; thus, it helps me get more information about depth of the target.  And then, there's the sizing advantage I mentioned; for me, pinpoint definitely is another tool to help with "sizing" the target -- which helps to allow me not to dig certain large targets that I'm not interested in.

Steve

Agree with Steve's recommendation, pinpoint mode gives away large shallow objects big time.  Pinpoint coil sweep and audio modulation easily tell me I am swinging over a shallow can vs. a coin.  I have even used Gold mode at sites littered with big iron because the VCO pitch-like audio behaves in a similar fashion (though pinpoint is a non-motion mode so it is easier to "trace" a large target outline, than gold mode, which gives a cruder representation of the size of the target).

• Like 1

I seldom if ever use PP to size a target.  In fact I mostly try it just to see if it will PP the desired target rather than near by iron and it does a good job picking those out.  Once in a while I will interrogate a really iffy signal using PP to see if it's false signal off the edge of iron but that's only on the head scratchers where rotating leaves some doubt and I usually dig it anyway.  

Not may deep cans around here so lifting the coil works for me most of the time.  

At first I was using the PP a quite bit to size objects, actually I still do. I like to hear that quick little response to know it's a coin size object.

One thing I've learned from watching a video that another member posted here, is to watch those coins on edge. They will pinpoint wide one way off the side of the coil. Kinda sounds like one big object but if you listen closely its like a double beep that blends together, those are coins straight up and down. 

I guess a straight up and down coin exposes the most surface area to the coil when its off to the side.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Alluminati said:

At first I was using the PP a quite bit to size objects, actually I still do. I like to hear that quick little response to know it's a coin size object.

One thing I've learned from watching a video that another member posted here, is to watch those coins on edge. They will pinpoint wide one way off the side of the coil. Kinda sounds like one big object but if you listen closely its like a double beep that blends together, those are coins straight up and down. 

I guess a straight up and down coin exposes the most surface area to the coil when its off to the side.

This I think I've heard quite a bit in soft dry beach sand.  However in that type of sand I will never really know if the coin was actually standing on edge down below once I've scooped it.   But knowing this happens now will help demystify why some might sound off this way and maybe why sometimes the side of the coil seems to initially find it.  Thank you for explaining this.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, TennesseeDigger said:

This is great news! I like the Equinox a lot, and I have found old deep square nailes, while giving off a high tone, are bouncy and not consistent in signal relay.

what is the 6”  coil MSRP?

$179