Beach Hunt With Updated 800

Flbchbm

The recent storms have resulted in seas that have stripped off the summer's accumulation of sand from the beaches I hunt. Managed to get over there (Atlantic side) yesterday afternoon with my recently updated Equinox 800 to try my luck for a few hours. Quick summation of my impression is that the detector ran quieter and as deep or slightly deeper than before, with a much more accurate depth meter and the stable tid, even at depth, that we have come to expect. I mostly hunted the wet sand, with some shallow water thrown in. Mostly Beach 1 stock settings, some Beach 2 in the water. I found a lot of coins, some as deep as 8-12 inches, a pyramid sinker, and a big hoop earing. The only junk target I got fooled by was a mostly intact crown cap that sounded great and rang up at 24/25, no iron grunt. Dug a couple iron targets just to verify they were what I thought they were - a couple tent stakes, a bobby pin, and a screw.

Something I have noticed that I have not seen discussed yet is the newly recalibrated depth meter and its accuracy across coin sizes. My other detectors are calibrated to one coin size, so their depth meters are accurate on one size coin and less so for all others. The Equinox appears to be correlating the tid with the expected coin to display expected depth. The result being that the depth meter is pretty accurate on both the dime and the quarter (penny and nickle, too), unlike any of my other detectors.

Overall, the updated detector was even more fun to use than before. It may not completely replace my Pulsescan TDI for beach hunting but the TDI is going to get a whole lot less use.

• Like 5

On 9/15/2018 at 5:36 AM, Flbchbm said:

The recent storms have resulted in seas that have stripped off the summer's accumulation of sand from the beaches I hunt. Managed to get over there (Atlantic side) yesterday afternoon with my recently updated Equinox 800 to try my luck for a few hours. Quick summation of my impression is that the detector ran quieter and as deep or slightly deeper than before, with a much more accurate depth meter and the stable tid, even at depth, that we have come to expect. I mostly hunted the wet sand, with some shallow water thrown in. Mostly Beach 1 stock settings, some Beach 2 in the water. I found a lot of coins, some as deep as 8-12 inches, a pyramid sinker, and a big hoop earing. The only junk target I got fooled by was a mostly intact crown cap that sounded great and rang up at 24/25, no iron grunt. Dug a couple iron targets just to verify they were what I thought they were - a couple tent stakes, a bobby pin, and a screw.

Something I have noticed that I have not seen discussed yet is the newly recalibrated depth meter and its accuracy across coin sizes. My other detectors are calibrated to one coin size, so their depth meters are accurate on one size coin and less so for all others. The Equinox appears to be correlating the tid with the expected coin to display expected depth. The result being that the depth meter is pretty accurate on both the dime and the quarter (penny and nickle, too), unlike any of my other detectors.

Overall, the updated detector was even more fun to use than before. It may not completely replace my Pulsescan TDI for beach hunting but the TDI is going to get a whole lot less use.

Glad that the depth meters been improved.  Although generally I don't rely too much on it, when deep turf coin hunting, due to the lack of audio modulation in the first 6" of depth, it's pretty important.  I'm glad it's been re-calibrated to be accurate on dime, penny, nickle and quarters.

No treasure coast treasure was stirred up eh?

I've seen kind of a mixed bag response to the depth meter improvements.  Some have said it is indeed improved and some have provided test evidence.  Others have reported no improvement or even degraded performance.  But yours is the most positive response I've seen. No one else has stated that they thought depth meter was accurate on coins other than the purported dime depth meter calibration reference.  Interesting.

The other day I dug a deeper quarter and two smashed aluminum twist off caps within a few minutes span and I was immediately impressed with the update.

The quarter was 9 to 10" and a nice softer warble with the meter buried.  The screw caps were less deep but also nicely modulated and full depth on the meter.  All three brought up me to a quick halt. 

A 1917 wheat at a POUNDED one room country school around 7" was the same.  Picked up 3 non-ferrous there in a quick short hunt, the wheat, a a tiny stick pin with a rosette and small button and I was only going after high conductors.   That in itself was impressive to me.

No way I'm reverting back to the original software.

• Like 3