A Round Whatzit

Here is another one for you guys to figure out. I haven't the slightest clue, this one makes my head hurt.

It was found in the water. This old bay has an insane asylum built on it dating from the late 1800's. It is also has a ghost town, a failed colonial type trading settlement dating from around 1825. Before that it was a native village but I think it's safe to say this is not native American.

It has three stars, or starfish? and a small hole on each side.
It measures about an inch across.
It weighs about 17 grams but has at least some sand and clay remaining inside.

There is no way you guys are going to guess what it is.

IMG_20180915_093631477.jpg

IMG_20180915_093657745.jpg

• Like 2

Hmm, I will put it in the ultrasonic cleaner later tonight, to see if there is something solid inside. 

Promotional consideration will be provided by Ridge Runner again, a big thank you.

-3 vintage treasure mags to the winner. (Or 1 each if there are multiple winners)

I too will say it’s a bell. I’m thinking that grove is made for a rope to fit in.

Here in San Antonio Tx. we’ve been getting so much rain and if I get this correct it will really rain then .

Chuck

Sometimes I think of Saturn when I look at it.

I was just looking at star symbols. Those could be "Nautical stars".
Wikipedia says the symbol is associated with the sea division of the US armed forces. (Marines, Navy, Coast guard) It is supossedly a mixture of the 5 pointed star of the US flag and a compass rose.

Could it be...a red herring?

• The title was changed to A Round Whatzit

The official state flag of Tennessee was adopted on April 17, 1905. This flag was designed by LeRoy Reeves of the Third Regiment of the Tennessee Infantry. 

The three white stars in the center symbolize the three different geographical regions of Tennessee: the Great Smoky Mountains (in eastern Tennessee), the highlands (in central Tennessee) and the lowlands (in western Tennessee, by the Mississippi River). The white circle binds them together. The blue stripe along the margin was added for distinction when the flag is hanging; with the stripe, not only the red shows while the flag is hanging.Click the following images for differnt sizes of Tennessee flag

3x5 ft Tennessee Flag - Polyester PE

• Like 1

You say it weighs 17 grams dirty, what are its dimensions... maybe you could put a coin or something in for scale.