Some Food For Thought..

sillllvar

I just watched a Youtube video on the equinox masterclass by Derek Mclennan . He said something that is really quite true! He said that he feels like the equinox "forces" one to dig targets that other machines would have you not. This is effect increases your finds rate. I've been at this a long time (1990) but it's you guys from the late 70's and 80's that must remember those early machines that made you dig more targets right? 

HH

sillllvar

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I understand what Derek is saying.  Iffy targets where some aspect of it said dig me and I have been rewarded as a result.  Problem is the cynics will say that is one step from essentially a dig it all machine which of course ups your gross finds rate, but lowers your keepers to trash ratio.  I do not disagree with what Derek is saying, but it is one of those things the naysayers can easily flip around and portray as a disadvantage.

• Like 3

Ive always said never look for a reason NOT to dig a target.   With a lot of the water machines i can almost tell you what im digging........ but i still dig anything that isnt a shallow bottle cap or iron.  Those are the two targets i test and learn quickly.  Another thing....... never sell a new machine until its paid for its self.  

• Like 5

Interesting statement. I skimmed over it because it is a long video. I'll have to watch it in it's entirety.

Would he be referring to the faint warble sounds, among others?  Or is this something you all hear anyways?

Yesterday I hit a small area of a good sized park in Los Angeles. This area (approx 50x30) under an old huge tree has been pounded to death by everyone for decades, including myself with my Safari. Yesterday, I managed to pull out 8 wheats and a '56 Rosie. I was surprised they were still there.

I analyzed every signal my coil passed and found that in between all the junk targets were very faint warble high tones most would miss if you moved too fast. I mean, I really had to manipulate the coil in every direction to bring those signals to the surface, so-to-speak.  I pushed every inch of my lesche shovel into the ground and found these coins below. I noticed that a couple were on edge (stuck to the sidewalls) and  maybe the reason for the warble. 

• Like 4

On 9/16/2018 at 3:54 PM, sillllvar said:

I just watched a Youtube video on the equinox masterclass by Derek Mclennan . He said something that is really quite true! He said that he feels like the equinox "forces" one to dig targets that other machines would have you not. This is effect increases your finds rate. I've been at this a long time (1990) but it's you guys from the late 70's and 80's that must remember those early machines that made you dig more targets right? 

HH

sillllvar

I started relic hunting back in 1984. Most of the areas I hunted we're so target rich that one didn't need to dig "ify" targets because there we so many perfect sounding targets lying around you didn't want to waste valuable digging time with possibly junk targets. When targets dried up, you didn't hunt harder (moving logs, removing brush, or digging "iffy" targets), you just moved on to another patch of woods or fields that held promise. You never had to look too hard to find such sites. Now days, one has to search very hard to just find evidence of a camp's existence.

• Like 4

i think that the Nox gives me better dig me signals on fringe depth targets and lower conductive ones than any other detector i have used i cant say if it gives me better dig me signals in iron infested sites as i have not done any since getting the Nox but i feel it will do.

• Like 3

Iron bias is a finds killer.  I spent some time seeing if I could pick up a few more targets at an old pounded site that is loaded with iron and rotted tin etc.

Running the 11" in Field 2 with sensitivity at 17 recovery 8 and IB 1  I got a repeatable soft warble buried in the iron noise.  Before I dug dropped the recovery to 7 and the signal was not as obvious and probably would have walked over it.  Increased the sensitivity to 18  reset recovery back to 8 dropped IB to 0 and there was a big improvement vs the original hit.

Ended up being a small brass buckle only 5 to 6" deep.  A lot of high conductive metal in that buckle but shows just what we are dealing with when it comes to iron masking.

Wish now that I had played around even more with the recovery and IB settings.

IMG_20180920_042128614.thumb.jpg.cf6e2dbf7686ce3b01538ff99242a993.jpg

• Like 5

@Jackpine

Depends on what you're after..

Some good exlanations:

http://thesilverfiend.com/minelab-equinox-iron-bias-explained/

For my beaches I kept IB pretty high and never touch it. I might try some other settings during the off-season.

That is a thoughtful well written article.  by SteveG ?

Large shallow iron I can deal with audibly.  It's the smaller deep iron falsing that is the bigger problem and IB really doesn't help there IMO.  The conductive part of the signal overpowers. True with every machine I have used.

Regarding the sensitivity aspect for unmasking (not mentioned in the article) try this, run a threshold, notch out the predominate iron in a site and see just how much you are running in a null,  drop your sensitivity and note the difference.  It can be an eye opener.

Tom

• Like 2