**update -- Production Of Rods To Begin Tuesday!** Equinox Lower Rod Project -- Prototype Rod Successful!

steveg

Hey Steve... do those awesome new lower rods come with the 6" coil as pictured?   :wink:

Looks great, can't wait for them to be available (even without the coil lol)

~Tim.

• Like 1

Tim --

LOL!  I WISH I could stick a 6" coil on each one of the lower rods I sell!  I'd have some happy customers!

Thanks for the kind words.  Tubes will be here Wednesday, the lower rod pieces hopefully by Monday...

Steve

• Like 1

Hi all!

Just wanted to update that I received the carbon-fiber tubes this past Wednesday, and tracking information shows the remainder of the parts en-route, and scheduled for delivery this coming Monday.  Therefore, I expect to begin assembly of rods by Tuesday, Oct. 16!  

When the tubes arrived Wednesday, I was able to complete assembly of the "prototype" rod, and it is now attached to my 6" coil!  (See pictures below).

If you are interested in one or more of these rods, please reply to this thread, or send me a PM, and I'll add you to the pre-order list; I expect to make a "for sale" post in the classified forum by the end of next week; initial, special pricing for forum members will be $58 plus shipping.

Also please note that design continues on the "complete shaft system," and is nearing completion.  I hope to have a prototype assembled soon, and then will have them available for sale as well.  Of course, the complete shaft system will utilize this lower rod, attached to a one-piece upper shaft.  More details later!

Thanks everyone for your interest and support!

Steve

coil-endclose-up1-small.jpg

lowerrodandcoil-camlock-downwardsmall.jp

coilendclose-upfrombottom-small.jpg

coilendclose-upfromtopsmall.jpg

rodinstalledclose-upsmall.jpg

rodinstalled-frombottom-small.jpg

springbuttonclipsmall.jpg

Very nice job on the lower rod. Two questions. What is the weight difference between your lower rod and the stock rod? Have you tried swinging the rod with it wet or underwater with the stock 11" or 12x15" coil? Do you think there might be a chance that the rod might slip/twist inside the cam-lock do to the smooth finish as compared rough exterior finish on the stock rods? I'm wondering if ML made the lower rods rough for a reason other than to save on production costs. Thanks

Aurum,

THANKS for the kind words, and your interest!

Your first question, about "weight difference" requires a bit of "detail" to answer -- because my "standard" lower rod will be a bit longer than Minelab's stock EQX rod.  Minelab's lower rod measures 24 3/16" long; my "standard" rod is going to be 26" long, and so there's a little bit of an "apples to oranges" comparison there, in terms of weight.  (I do want to note, though, that I can build these rods to whatever custom length someone might want, so if a 24 3/16" rod was desired, that's an option that is available). 

But anyway, with that small caveat in there, let me give you some numbers...

My factory EQX lower rod from Minelab (without the washers -- just the rod) weighs 94g (3.4 oz.) (at 24 3/16" long).  If you wish to compare "apples to apples," one of my rods at Minelab's 24 3/16" length standard would weigh approximately 72.7g (2.61 oz.).  (This is about 21 grams less, or roughly 3/4 of an ounce less, than Minelab's stock rod; said another way -- it will weigh roughly 25% less than Minelab's EQX rod).

From there, each inch in length that is added will add roughly 2g to the weight.  So, at my "standard" rod length (26"), the weight would be 3.6g (.14 oz.) heavier than a 24 3/16" rod -- weighing in at roughly 76.3g (2.75 oz) (still about 24% lighter than Minelab's stock EQX rod).

That's probably more detail than you wanted!  But hopefully, that answers your "weight" question.  

Now, as far as potential that the rod will slip or turn inside the cam lock?  My answer would be "no," whether wet OR dry, for two reasons:

Reason one, is that the rubber "boot" inside the cam lock, that "grips" the rod, provides very good grip on the outer epoxy coating of a carbon-fiber tube, as well.  The CTX 3030, for instance, has small rubber "boots" inside its cam lock, and it grips the CTX 3030 carbon-fiber tube very well, without slippage or turning.  Friction between rubber, and a carbon-fiber tube's outer gloss/epoxy layer, is very high.

Reason two, is that even without the cam lock tightened at all, the Minelab EQX rods resist turning or twisting owing to their use of the "spring button clip" on their lower rods.  My lower rods will also include the "spring button clip," exactly like the Minelab EQX stock rods.  

So, bottom line, I have zero expectation that my rods would be any more likely to twist, or slip, than the Minelab rods.  

Hopefully, that helps you out a bit.  If you have any other questions, please let me know, and thanks for your interest!

Thanks!

Steve

Good in-depth answers. Thanks Steve.

• Like 1

Thecleaner --

THANKS for your interest!  I'll add you to the "pre-order" list.  A few more days, and I expect to have some rods ready to ship...  ?

Steve

A quick update for those who are interested and have waited patiently -- I can gladly affirm that the long-awaited parts shipment did indeed arrive this morning!  Assembly will begin this evening...

Thanks!

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Received my rod yesterday. It was extremely well packaged.

The rod itself is top quality! The fit and finish is top notch and I'm very pleased with how good it looks.

Can't wait to start using it.

Thank you for your sale Steve!